PDA

View Full Version : Polished aluminum flaperons

Meyertheflyer
02-08-2014, 05:00 PM
Has anyone polished the flaperons not painted? Any reason not too? I'm kinda at that stage now and considering. Thanks for any input.

SkyPirate
02-08-2014, 08:03 PM
If you had something to accent them front/nose and rear/tail i bet it would look sharp

HansLab
02-09-2014, 01:57 AM
agree to that, but: in this forum I read (concerning polishing the gear) that one should protect the aluminum from corroding i it isn't painted: i put on a transparent Tectyl.
(Unfortunatley I'm not too happy with it: it keeps 'rubbery' and attracts dirt - which is had to remove. have to find a way to get rid of it..)

Mnflyer
02-09-2014, 05:28 PM
Hi Meyer the flaperons on my Kitfox III have been polished since new no problems with corrosion and they look good at least to me. There is no real problem with polishing landing gears the problem is with chroming them the chrome process can reduce the strength of the LG.

Meyertheflyer
02-09-2014, 05:57 PM
I'm not too concerned with corrosion in Phoenix, but was wondering if constant attention is necessary. They are pretty shiny already. The aluminium is fairly thin also and is there a worry of damage while polishing? I'll leave the gear as is. I like the look.