PDA

View Full Version : KF4-1200 is Mine! My NEW Plane! -to me-

rdooley79
02-05-2014, 09:41 PM
I just sent the deposit and am planning when I'll head out to get my new plane!

http://s928.photobucket.com/user/rdooley79/story/39533

I wanted to get a second generation plane but didn't figure I could fine one that was nice that I could afford. I found this bird lurking on another forum and the owner hinted that he was thinking about selling it. I was able to get a goood deal on her. She comes with a trailer, perfect to bring her home with! The AFTT is about 500 and the Rotax 582 has about 130 since rebuild. The gearbox is the "C" with 3:1 and has been upgraded with the RK400 clutch. It has the upgraded Grove spring gear and wheels/brakes with McCreary Air Hawk tires. The intercom is a Flightcom 403 and a Microair M760 radio as well as a Narco AT150 transponder, not sure about the encoder. It has all the normal instruments and VSI. Seats have been died black since the pictures. There is also the heater mod made from an oil cooler installed. My wife is excited for heat!
I really like the Citabria style paint job. it's reported to be in good condition and shows well. The plane would sure look nice with a fresh coat of Carnuba wax and the landing gear polished up!

Next is to get to TN from CO and drag it home, safely. I'm super worried about transporting it on the trailer and damaging it somewhere along the 1500 miles to my airport! Should be o.k. the plane has all of the travel struts and supports and the trailer is built for the kitfox.

SO EXCITED!!!!!

SkyPirate
02-05-2014, 11:37 PM
awesome~!! good for you Rdooley,..from my experience hauling my model 2 on a trailer..strap the wheels only,..don't tie the airframe down,..if it's an open trailer,..you might want to consider searching the area near where your picking up your bird for a boat dealership and get it heat wrapped ,.this will keep the elements off her for the road trip,..if it's an enclosed trailer your set :) take a couple old socks with you,..if it's an open trailer,...slide the socks over the prop tips and tie a knot to one side then tie a rope around the knots and go in an X down to the trailer,,this will keep the prop from wind milling,,don't tie these lines too tight,,allow for the suspension of the plane to travel,,leaving a little slack ,..I'm not too far from Fort Leonardwood,, not sure if your taking the high road ( route 70) or coming down by Kansas city then scooting across 60 to 63 or? but if you end up in this area for the night I can save you some motel expenses :)

Av8r3400
02-06-2014, 06:18 AM
$.02 - Take the prop off rather than tying it.

During the trip stop often and check everything.

Is the trailer tail first or nose first?

avidflyer
02-06-2014, 06:34 AM
I hauled one Avid 550 miles, and another about 300. To keep the prop from turning, I ran a rope from the center of the prop, made a half-hitch close to the end of the prop, and then tied the end of the rope to the trailer. I did rap some electricians tape around the half-hitch to keep it in place. When the prop tries to turn as you drive, it will tighten up the rope. Don't, know if it was mentioned, but it's really hard on the tail spring to trailer the plane with it setting on the tailwheel. Better to support the fuselage on the hitch connector tube that goes through the fuselage. Jim Chuk

Slyfox
02-06-2014, 08:29 AM
Nice looking plane. I don't understand the two header tanks. most foxes have only one.

rdooley79
02-06-2014, 09:44 AM
The two header tanks is the original builders solution to a mistake made building the plane. Unfortunately it only has a right wing tank that holds 13 gallons. The left wing has a storage locker and no tank. As you know a 582 will burn about 5gph and this limits the planes endurance. So the second header was added....

Ya not the way it's going to be for long. From the forums here and on avidfoxflyers.com a spun aluminum tank about 12 gallons mounted behind the seats is reported as a good option without installing a tank in the left wing. Honestly I kind of like adding the bigger header tank and keeping the storage in the left wing. This will give me good storage with a large fuel capability. Shoot. I can just fill up the header tank and have enough fuel for a quick 45 minute flight around the patch with good performance or fill it all the way up and go cross country. The wing locker could potentially hold a 5 gallon fuel bladder to add a splash of gas at the destination then roll it up when empty.

Down the road the plan is to install a Rotax 670 from Rotax Rick. He builds nice engines and for this plane is the best option. Please don't turn this thread in to an engine debate, it's a beaten topic :-) But ya the 670 is the next engine.
It will use about the same gas as a 912, making the fuel quantity on board with a 12 gallon header tank + 13 gallon wing tank = 25 gallon / 4gph = 6.1 hours of fuel! conservatively that calculates out as 80mph * 5hrs = 400mile with reserve!

The plane is currently airworthy with a current condition inspection. My plan after getting it back home is to go through the plane to learn every detail. Once I'm comfortable with it then have my A&P buddy check it out for a second opinion and to also show off my new plane :D Hopefully we don't find anything or if we do it's easily remedied. Then fly it! Get a bunch of hours while it's still cold out. Once it heats up, swap the engine out for more hp. The fuel tank will get swapped out sooner than later more than likely but it's not necessary to get some hours in her.

MY NEW PLANE!!!!! wooohooo!!!!!

Slyfox
02-06-2014, 09:52 AM
I will not make any more comments on the 912. I did you a pm and just mentioned, a better engine. your choice is your choice. I like your plane, she looks real nice. Now I understand the second tank. Have fun with er and fly safe. My advice after you have everything put in with the new engine would be to weigh the airplane so you know what you have.

rdooley79
02-06-2014, 01:58 PM
I hauled one Avid 550 miles, and another about 300. To keep the prop from turning, I ran a rope from the center of the prop, made a half-hitch close to the end of the prop, and then tied the end of the rope to the trailer. I did rap some electricians tape around the half-hitch to keep it in place. When the prop tries to turn as you drive, it will tighten up the rope. Don't, know if it was mentioned, but it's really hard on the tail spring to trailer the plane with it setting on the tailwheel. Better to support the fuselage on the hitch connector tube that goes through the fuselage. Jim Chuk

This is my main concern to get it back undamaged. The trailer is built from a jet ski trailer with the plane facing backwards (prop facing away from the truck). the guy says that the trailer is built well for the plane but who knows if that means it'll ride well for 1500 miles. I've got some awesome tire straps that work well for my other plane. How have people loaded Kitfoxes on car trailers and supported the tail well? If I need to make a brace out of 2x4's to mount to the tail hard points, I will! What has worked well for others?

Av8r3400
02-06-2014, 07:44 PM
Bee in your bonnet, rdooley79-- Replacing or re-arching a sagged tailwheel spring is much easier than repairing bent tubes in the fuselage. Another member here had tubing damage after an extended trip with the tail rigidly attached to the trailer.

avidflyer
02-06-2014, 08:46 PM
Here are a couple of pics of Avids and the trailers I used to haul them home. I said in an earlier message that I hauled one Avid 300 and another one 550 miles. I forgot to mention this yellow one that I hauled 450 miles as well. Any way, the tails were supported in all three of those cases. And using the tubing that was put there to attach a trailering hitch to. If I'm thinking of the same damaged Kitfox that was mentioned in the last post, my memory is that it was tied down in such a way that maybe the bouncing and flexing of the trailer is what damaged it. But then again, I've been wrong before... (one time I had thought I had made a mistake, and then found out I hadn't! LOL) Take care, Jim Chuk

rdooley79
02-06-2014, 10:24 PM
This is a major concern. 1500 miles is a loooong way and a lot of little bumps. :mad: :eek: :(
O.k. so I found a lot of previous forum posts on this topic. It's not clear. I need to get some pics of the trailer to know if it's built to raise the tail or not. The plane is facing backwards I do know. Also the trailer is based on a jet ski trailer. According to the posts a lighter trailer is better anyways. The previous owner pulled it a couple hundred miles and said it went well.

I'm planning on bringing a spare tire as well as tools, screws, 2x4's, saw, foam, straps, a lot of straps, drill, bolts, eyebolts, bungee cords and a biiiig roll of plastic wrap. The plan is that I want to have everything to fabricate, cushion, seal and strap the plane for transport. The trick will be to secure it while allowing it to bump along on it's own suspension.

The pics above are great! You are lifting the tail and ridgidly mounting the tail with the hard points built in to the tail for the hitch. Some say that the tail should "bounce" or "float" with straps to keep it from shifting but still free to bump up and down. You have taken a different approach.

Why can't I just beam it here like star trek? that would be best.

I'd love to see some more pics if people have them.

skyraidertom
02-07-2014, 07:00 AM
I have transported my single place skyraider to a grass strip 10 miles away over 150 times in the past 10 years using a 16' tandem axle utility trailer. The last mile of the trip is over a bumpy chuck hole lane. I secure the front tires to the trailer and the tail is supported rigidly under the point where the tail spring attaches to the fuselage. the tail spring is then tied down to the trailer with two nylon tie down straps. The plane is transported nose forward and in a level position. The wings,control surfaces and prop are secured independent of the trailer. I realize the kitfox may be different. But this set up has also worked well for me on longer trips at freeway speeds. Perhaps the tail section of the kitfox is designed differently and can't be transported as such.

Jerrytex
02-07-2014, 07:16 AM
I'd recommend a roll or two of mover's wrap. It works great as you can put a mover's blanket down and then wrap it to keep it in place on areas that will get road debris. You can pretty much wrap the entire plane and make it water proof. Tape the ends with masking tape or it will unwrap in the wind. Uhaul has all different sizes.

http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/StoreHandler.ashx?media=46&id=738

rdooley79
02-07-2014, 08:03 AM
I'd recommend a roll or two of mover's wrap. It works great as you can put a mover's blanket down and then wrap it to keep it in place on areas that will get road debris. You can pretty much wrap the entire plane and make it water proof. Tape the ends with masking tape or it will unwrap in the wind. Uhaul has all different sizes.

http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/StoreHandler.ashx?media=46&id=738

Great minds think alike! this is exactly what I have done for years with my other plane and am definitely going to do with this one.
Padding and sealing the plane from the weather is the easy part. The tail support is what's concerning me the most!

Slyfox
02-07-2014, 08:38 AM
I keep thinking that you should set the tail on something that will give it support without being a hard surface. Like taking some inner tubs air them up and set the plane on those in the back. that way if you hit bumps it will not transmit through the tail section. the main landing gear should be just fine. I see that tail as a problem because those wings make that tail real heavy when moved to the rear. just my thought.

Dorsal
02-07-2014, 09:00 AM
I used a air/spring style shop stool for the suspension element, worked well.
http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/picture.php?albumid=202&pictureid=2407

To be fair I had a much shorter drive.

rdooley79
02-07-2014, 09:16 AM
I saw your shop stool and it looks like a good idea. I'll see what is around to make something for the long term.

For the short term of getting it back safely, the inner tube idea is great. Maybe one of those big exercise balls, got one at home. Maybe a combination of inner tube base with the ball set in the middle hole, have a piece of carpet between the innertube/ball to have a nice soft surface and also to spread the load on the tail, use plastic to wrap it all together and to the tail making the whole arrangement part of the tail. Tape the whole arrangement to the tail, looots of tape wrapped around. Basically making a giant air bag for the tail to rest on. Then use straps to the tail wheel to keep the tail from shifting forward/backwards and side to side but leave slack to allow the tail to bounce. As long as the main gear is super secure about the tires and axles, leaving the gear to spring up and down. I may even let a little air out of the tires to make them more squishy.

If that was explained well enough, What do you guys think?

HansLab
02-07-2014, 09:17 AM
I drove mine on a trailer only some 200KM's and I hope I never have to do it again! (the trailer is for sale, by the way..)
Drove it on a windstill day, were the slowest team on the roads. Picked as much (paved) highways as I could find, with my flight buddy driving behind.
Had to support elevator during the trip: those areas are quite vulnerable to winds. If I were to do this again I'd probably took off as much as I could
But: we made it and now she flies! So all is forgotten and forgiven.
Am I glad not beeing in your 1500 mile- shoes!
Probably rented a container, then.

SkyPirate
02-07-2014, 09:31 AM
Since the plane is towed backwards, the rigidity of the tail support has to maintain the tails position from sliding sideways, if you wanted to get real creative, think of a light trailer's leaf spring , now invert it, instead of the axle being bolted to the spring, a saddle that would connect to the rear Dorsal Fin/hitch mount hole in the tail, if your not sure that will handle side loD pressures well put 2 linkage rods, one on each side to control side loads,
Im on my cell phone right now or i would draw an example 👹

SkyPirate
02-07-2014, 09:36 AM
Cubtractor " Mike" made an awesome control lock if you do a search for mikes posts from his profile you can find it , or if he tunes in and can post a pick of it here

cgruby
02-07-2014, 10:00 AM
I just sent the deposit and am planning when I'll head out to get my new plane!

http://s928.photobucket.com/user/rdooley79/story/39533

I wanted to get a second generation plane but didn't figure I could fine one that was nice that I could afford. I found this bird lurking on another forum and the owner hinted that he was thinking about selling it. I was able to get a goood deal on her. She comes with a trailer, perfect to bring her home with! The AFTT is about 500 and the Rotax 582 has about 130 since rebuild. The gearbox is the "C" with 3:1 and has been upgraded with the RK400 clutch. It has the upgraded Grove spring gear and wheels/brakes with McCreary Air Hawk tires. The intercom is a Flightcom 403 and a Microair M760 radio as well as a Narco AT150 transponder, not sure about the encoder. It has all the normal instruments and VSI. Seats have been died black since the pictures. There is also the heater mod made from an oil cooler installed. My wife is excited for heat!
I really like the Citabria style paint job. it's reported to be in good condition and shows well. The plane would sure look nice with a fresh coat of Carnuba wax and the landing gear polished up!

Next is to get to TN from CO and drag it home, safely. I'm super worried about transporting it on the trailer and damaging it somewhere along the 1500 miles to my airport! Should be o.k. the plane has all of the travel struts and supports and the trailer is built for the kitfox.

SO EXCITED!!!!!

Hey Colorado, congratulations on your new find. Let me make a little suggestion regarding towing your plane home.
1. Have your wife sew you up a soft boot to cover the vertical fin to prevent the wings from chaffing the rudder.
2. Provide a secondary means of securing the wings (ratchet strap) to prevent inadvertent deployment.
3. Unless your door locks are a lot better than mine, provide a way to secure the doors from opening.
4. If you wind up in the rain, she'll leak like a sieve. Provide some means to make it a little mor water tight.

Other than that, have a good trip.

Cheers,

Slyfox
02-07-2014, 11:02 AM
I saw your shop stool and it looks like a good idea. I'll see what is around to make something for the long term.

For the short term of getting it back safely, the inner tube idea is great. Maybe one of those big exercise balls, got one at home. Maybe a combination of inner tube base with the ball set in the middle hole, have a piece of carpet between the innertube/ball to have a nice soft surface and also to spread the load on the tail, use plastic to wrap it all together and to the tail making the whole arrangement part of the tail. Tape the whole arrangement to the tail, looots of tape wrapped around. Basically making a giant air bag for the tail to rest on. Then use straps to the tail wheel to keep the tail from shifting forward/backwards and side to side but leave slack to allow the tail to bounce. As long as the main gear is super secure about the tires and axles, leaving the gear to spring up and down. I may even let a little air out of the tires to make them more squishy.

If that was explained well enough, What do you guys think?

another thought might be to give some sort of support for the wings other than the rear of the plane.

Slyfox
02-07-2014, 11:04 AM
Cubtractor " Mike" made an awesome control lock if you do a search for mikes posts from his profile you can find it , or if he tunes in and can post a pick of it here
maybe just pull the stick back and use the seat belt.

Slyfox
02-07-2014, 02:01 PM
just thought of something. use an old tire, no rim. that way you don't have to worry about the tube blowing out. should be enough shock absorbency to protect things

Av8r3400
02-07-2014, 03:43 PM
A good point was just made about a container. I brought my project Kitfox from upstate New York to Wisconsin in a 26' U-haul truck. 23 hour straight through marathon drive. My wife helped drive. (Yes she's an angel)

In order to make it fit, I had to remove the elevator, h-stab and one wing. (The truck door is too narrow to get the folded width inside.) I emptied the fuel completely, blocked everything real good and let her ride on the gear.

You could fly out, rent the truck and drive back. You could do this and tow the empty trailer behind.

Just another idea to confuse the issue. :o

Slyfox
02-07-2014, 04:12 PM
I like that idea because you will have a smooth ride in the truck for the airplane and keep the plane dry and clean. than you will have the trailer at home for short trips to the airport, save on a hangar.

rdooley79
02-07-2014, 05:03 PM
I considered something close to this. Doing some research and calling Penske, U-Haul, Ryder, Enterprise and Hertz I couldn't find a pickup truck for long distance one way travel. It did cross my mind to rent a cube van big enough to accept the wings off of the plane. Keep the body on the trailer and do it that way. That might be good.
I'm running out of time is the problem and need to get this show on the road. Just started a new job and don't want to be gone too long so they are expecting me to be gone Friday-14 and Monday-17th. This gives me 4 days to make the whole trip. I'll have my brother along to split the driving and blast through the night.
I think with the tail cushioned and the wings braced and locked closed with some straps as insurance. Lots of straps around the wheels bracing any direction the plane might want to shift. Use lots of foam padding between everything and then wrap it all up with plastic will work. I'll have to tell myself to drive 55-60 the whole time and to miss as many bumps as possible. Take it easy and don't get in a rush.
1500 miles at 55 :( 27 hours
I'd rather take the time pulling it back slow than doing even the smallest bit of damage to anything, scuff the tires would all. :D

I'm hoping to get some pics of the trailer so I can have something for my brain to chew on. It needs information! My brain is always going and "pondering"....

This is a great re-hash of the trailer topic. And we shall see what works, or doesnt work after 1500 miles. It's a kitfox community service project! hahaha

Keep the pics and info coming on how you trailered your ladies. This is awesome info!

rdooley79
02-07-2014, 05:20 PM
Here are a couple of pics of Avids and the trailers I used to haul them home. I said in an earlier message that I hauled one Avid 300 and another one 550 miles. I forgot to mention this yellow one that I hauled 450 miles as well. Any way, the tails were supported in all three of those cases. And using the tubing that was put there to attach a trailering hitch to. If I'm thinking of the same damaged Kitfox that was mentioned in the last post, my memory is that it was tied down in such a way that maybe the bouncing and flexing of the trailer is what damaged it. But then again, I've been wrong before... (one time I had thought I had made a mistake, and then found out I hadn't! LOL) Take care, Jim Chuk

I just talked to the seller and he explained the trailer in more detail, said he's getting some pics tomorrow when he goes out to make sure the tires are good and grease the bearings.

The trailer is a lot like Avidflyer's trailer.

plane faces backwards, wings are level, tail is raised and attaches to the hard points built in to the tail. The tail wheel is left to hang. The bracket is made of steel and is welded to the trailer. The trailer is a jetski trailer conversion to give you an idea.

It will pivot on the hard points in the tail and the gear and tires should spring up and down. The trailer tires should bounce as well. I think this is going to be just fine. I'll add all the foam and padding as described before but the mounting of the tail sounds good. Ill send pics tomorrow after I get them. *fingers crossed*

Does mounting it this way concern anyone?

cubtractor
02-07-2014, 05:23 PM
Here are some pics of the control locks I made. I don't have any money in them as I made them out of pieces and parts laying around. If it's really windy, or in the case of towing the airplane, I use a bungy cord or a piece of rope to make sure the control stick lock stays in place.

rdooley79
02-07-2014, 05:30 PM
Now that is nice!
Control locks with red "RBF" tags is cool.
How much do you trailer your plane?
Where have you taken it?
Is it as cool as we think it is or are you worried about the plane the whole time?

Nice pics!

cubtractor
02-07-2014, 05:46 PM
I never trailer it. I was thinking you needed to trailer your somewhere.

rdooley79
02-07-2014, 05:55 PM
haha, ya a little ways, :D even though you don't use your control lock for trailering they look very nice and would work great in that use as well for sure!

I may have to make myself a set!

Slyfox
02-07-2014, 06:24 PM
the control lock looks good for normal tie down so the wind doesn't get to it.

avidflyer
02-07-2014, 07:10 PM
For gust locks, I use 1" X 4" with foam glued to the inside edges, and bolts on the ends of the 1x4s to hold them togeather. Better to have 2 for the elevator, and one for the rudder. When you are towing the plane backwards, and meet a semi truck on a two lane road, the wing blast will really rock your world. Not sure if I had them on in the pictures I posted earlier in this thread. Jim Chuk

I also tied the flaperons togeather just in case. First Kitfox project I bought had one wing swing out and hit a sign as it was being trailered down the road. Not pretty. At least that was before I got it. Also put foam padding between the flaperons and rudder to keep things from rubbing.

tommg13780
02-09-2014, 05:45 AM
Here's an example of a landscape trailer being used to transport a model 1. This was my 1st Kitfox and it provided me with about 100 hours of very economical flying. I used it to accumulate hours towards CFI.

This rig traveled approximately 1200 miles from NY state to Arkansas. As noted by others in previous threads the big concern with landscape/car hauler type trailers is the stiff suspension transmitting forces to the longeron tubes. I think the most practical way to deal with that is reduced speed when traveling on a rough surface.

rdooley79
02-09-2014, 07:19 AM
Here's an example of a landscape trailer being used to transport a model 1. This was my 1st Kitfox and it provided me with about 100 hours of very economical flying. I used it to accumulate hours towards CFI.

This rig traveled approximately 1200 miles from NY state to Arkansas. As noted by others in previous threads the big concern with landscape/car hauler type trailers is the stiff suspension transmitting forces to the longeron tubes. I think the most practical way to deal with that is reduced speed when traveling on a rough surface.

That's quite a feat! Good Work!

O.k.! That's great to see. Gives me a lot of confidence that this will go o.k.
I'm resigned to doing 55-60 and less for 1500 miles back home.

Did you try to let some air out of the tires of the plane?

I assume you have another kitfox now?
Have you ever trailered it somewhere?

tommg13780
02-09-2014, 08:56 AM
I was the seller on this deal so I'm not sure if the buyer thought to soften up the tires or not. I donated some ratchet straps and helped build the platform for the tail to sit on. One thing that makes the Kitfox travel so well is having the chord of the wings horizontal so it tends to be stable as you get passed by large tractor trailer rigs. If you load it nose forward plan on closing the ends so there's no pressure inside the wing that's trying to make the fabric bulge.

My current Kitfox is a IV Speedster with enclosed trailer that I think is within weeks of going to A/W inspection.

SkyPirate
02-16-2014, 09:55 AM
I hope the road trip is going well :) he should be close to home by now if he was able to leave on Thursday as planned

rdooley79
02-18-2014, 08:34 AM
Hey Guys,
:cool:
The trip went very well and the plane is home in my garage. She even got a quick wash yesterday once she came off the trailer. All in all a very successful trip.

Wanted to give a short update and will give lots of details when I have time. Lots of pics to come!

:D

DesertFox4
02-18-2014, 03:09 PM
Happy new Kitfox day Rhett.:)
Lots of fun headed your way. Enjoy every flight.

rdooley79
02-19-2014, 08:14 PM
Hey everyone,

Well, I got the plane home safe. The trip was quite an adventure for sure. We left my house after work last Thursday. We had a cooler full of drinks, lots of redbull and sodas as well as a case of bottled water. Since it's winter it all stayed nice and cold with a little ice. Threw it all in the back of the pickup and headed out. My brother drove a lot and we split it on the way out but I ended up driving most of the night. made it about 2 hours away from the plane by Friday evening. The pickup was getting 14mpg :eek: on the way out. I was only hoping it would not get too much worse with the plane! We got to the airport the following morning and saw the plane. She was better looking in first impressions than I had expected. Did a walkaround feeling the wings and body for any irregularities. Moved all of the surfaces and was happy with the plane. Not much to say other than we should go fill out the 8050-2 bill of sale. We made two copies for us to each have as a record of the sale. That was that!
http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/picture.php?albumid=360&pictureid=4430

The trailer was braced very nicely and the tires were almost new as well as the bearings repacked and lights worked. so we got to wrapping the plastic and loaded it on the trailer.

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/picture.php?albumid=360&pictureid=4442

I thought we did a great job. There was at least 10 layers in the thinnest spot. To put it on the plane was a chore and took three people. we started at one end and wrapped in one continuous wrap. I laid on the ground under the plane and one other guy on either side and we handed the roll to each other to make it go as fast as possible and to keep the wraps consistant. We convered it forward and backwards a couple times. Once done I used 5 rolls of packing tape and a roll of duct tape to hold it all together. Honestly afterwards, I wish we had just left it off the plane and focused on sealing the cockpit. The paint on the fabric is great for a short time dealing with moisture. The plastic wrap shredded in a matter of an hour on the road. :(

http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/picture.php?albumid=360&pictureid=4447

I cut off most of the wrap but some stayed well on the front cowl. This is where I wish I had not left it on. Now that I have had a chance to wash the plane well there are scuff marks where the packing tape vibrated against the paint and road dust making a dark blemish. It's not bad really and I was able to get it mostly out with hot soapy water. I'm sure I can buff them out with a little rubbing compound and then use some carnuba wax on the whole plane. should shine it right up!

On the road we were able to hold 68mph comfortably. The plane rode very nicely on the trailer. In fact I would say that the kitfox on the trailer pulled about as nice as any trailer I've pulled. It was a real sweatheart back there. It just bumped along and was very stable. No odd tendencies and it backed up nicely too!

My Brothers truck was nice to use as well. It was very comfortable and gave us a lot of room with the extended cab. The only problem is that on the way out we got 14mpg and on the way back it was about 9.6mpg :eek:
That's o.k. I paid the gas bill and set the cruise control and was happy to be using a nice comfortable vehicle.

Now that's little beans compared to what is really the two major problems on the way back. The first was when we got just out of the hills of Tennessee we stopped to check everything. I was not happy to find the tail support bracket had bent and was looking like it wanted to cut the fabric on the tail next to the hard mount points. I grabbed the plane and lifted it up and my brother bent the brackets in to place. The bracket was made of soft thin metal. We then fashioned an ingenious support bracket out of some fencing wood that I had brought to just brace the cooler and stuff in the back of the truck. We brought a ton of tools as well as a saw. On the side of the road we cut the wood and used every bungee strap to secure the tail support in place. By the time we were done it was rock solid and the plane sat there peachy perfect. In fact the whole trip back it worked GREAT!
http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/picture.php?albumid=360&pictureid=4448

The second thing is actually a really bad problem. It was about 2a.m. Monday morning and I was on I-70 about 15 miles east of Hayes Kansas. I was listening to a cool sci-fi story and doing about 65mph. Just cracked open a RedBull and a cold water bottle. All of a sudden the wind hit me broad side and I felt the trailer shift behind me a little. Being super aware of what was happening I slowed way down to 20mph. That was about as fast as I could go but still the plane was rocking on the trailer more than I liked. We crept in to Hayes and found a motel to hide behind and got a room there. The sleep felt great. Got some breakfast and headed home again at 68mph.

Well until the last few miles the tail bracket-wood/bungee-brace seemed to know we were close to home and started to give out again. The tail wheel was holding just fine so we bent the bracket back in to place and made it home... It gave out along the way but I didn't know and it was a few miles so we just went on home with the tail wheel bumping along. It made it 1490 out of 1500 miles with the brace holding great with wood and bungee straps! 10 miles and it lets go! hahaha! after all of that it is almost comical.
http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/picture.php?albumid=360&pictureid=4451

Now!!!! Here she is in the driveway getting ready for a quick bath!
http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/picture.php?albumid=360&pictureid=4463

Now this is the moment I've been waiting for a LOOOOOOONG time. The only better one will be when we can take one of these in flight!
http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/picture.php?albumid=360&pictureid=4471

I'm so excited to fly it. I'm going to get the registration transferred and do some deep inspections and run up's first. Once those are good then I'll take her to my hanger where I have my other plane. KBDU will be her new home. Flying along the rocky mountains where the kitfox belongs!

Esser
02-20-2014, 08:14 AM
Great update. Looking forward to some flying pics

Brodstol
12-10-2017, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the thorough conversation and follow up of your trip. I'm planning on picking on my Model 1 in a week and will make a 600 mile trip with it. Wish me luck!