PDA

View Full Version : tail wheel spring

wannafly
02-05-2014, 05:01 PM
Well my tail wheel spring finally snapped. To many river side landings with rocky surfaces:rolleyes:. It was the old style with the double bend and only 2 springs. Only one of the springs attached to the tail wheel. The new springs arrived from Kitfox which is now 3 springs. I thought there was a thread here discussing weather to use 2 of them or 3. Can someone find that thread I am having no luck. or let me know what you think. Its on a Kitfox IV Speedster.

cubtractor
02-05-2014, 05:08 PM
I went with the 3 spring set up when I changed mine. It works well.

Jfquebec
02-05-2014, 07:42 PM
I just write "leaf spring " in search section and they appear a lot of subject about that..:cool:

ackselle
02-06-2014, 07:47 PM
Mine snapped last year...just like yours.... I installed the 3 leaf spring from Kitfox, which works well. I've got pics in my album... Picture labeled Tailwheel growth"

JimS
02-07-2014, 07:51 PM
After my two leaf setup snapped at a breakfast flyin, local flyers helped me drill a mounting hole in the shorter top leaf and I remounted the tailwheel for "get it home" limp mode. I suggest anyone flying the two leaf setup take that top spring and drill a mounting hole in it "BEFORE" the spring that the tailwheel is mounted to breaks at an out of the way location where no drill press is readily available.
JimS

FoxDB
02-08-2014, 03:56 PM
Here is the link to the thread when my spring broke:
http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=3007&highlight=tailwheel+spring&page=2
Dave