PDA

View Full Version : What's your cost for your Annual Inspection?

Denali
02-02-2014, 03:12 PM
Ok, for those lucky KF owners who have their repairman's certificate, or AP, etc and can do their own annual conditional inspection on their own aircraft, life is good.

For those non-AP mechanic folks who maybe looking at buying an EAB that has already gotten an N tail number and AW certificate, it can be a different story.

Given that KF planes are not that " all that" complex compared to certain other certificated aircraft, I was just wondering what KF owners are paying these days in 2013/14 for their annual inspections.

I am sure based on location, relationships with APs, etc the figures will vary greatly. Nevertheless, feedback would be welcomed.

Slyfox
02-02-2014, 06:13 PM
I don't know, I think last years was under 40dollars. but then again, I keep things up though the whole year, so I might have spent something and didn't remember.

Peteohms
02-02-2014, 06:53 PM
I've been paying an A&P about $150. for an owner assisted annual.

Av8r3400
02-02-2014, 07:16 PM
Around here they are $50 - $150 depending on the plane. That's the A&P looking at the plane & paperwork while the owner does all the work...

SkyPirate
02-02-2014, 07:20 PM
same here providing nothing needs replacement or repair , one of my friends had to do both mags wires Carb kit and fix the exhaust on his 172,,ouch

tommg13780
02-03-2014, 07:14 AM
In my area it's typical to pay $200-300 and that gets you a sqwuak (sp) list that may or may not need to be reconciled prior to the logbook entry. I realize that may seem high but I think the guys paying lower prices are returning to the same A&P year after year. I have been churning my airplanes on an almost annual basis so I haven't really built a relationship for ongoing annual condition inspection.

My current project is weeks away from original A/W inspection. (I've been saying that for a few weeks). I was planning to have it done by the FSDO administrator at $0 fee but he wants a condition inspection done prior to his A/W inspection. I'm wondering if this is typical for other areas.

I've decided to go with our local DAR who is charging $275 and I've known him a while and he's always been a very reasonable guy for these matters.

Hope this is helpful, the answer went somewhat beyond the scope of your question but it seemed related and perhaps relevant to others.

SkySteve
02-03-2014, 08:42 AM
$150. Owner does all the work except compression test which is done by A&P or IA.

Paul Z
02-03-2014, 09:05 AM
I pay $300 per year, which includes any and all work needed for the entire year. Last year I had to install a new fuel pump, and a tire went flat on landing. Steve, the AI and I worked all three, and he signed off all three. Since mine is a SLSA I need to have an A&P or AI sign things off, I can not get a Repairman Certificate. It is a little higher then I would like but I trust Steve and he does good work.

t j
02-03-2014, 09:35 AM
tommg asked:

My current project is weeks away from original A/W inspection. (I've been saying that for a few weeks). I was planning to have it done by the FSDO administrator at $0 fee but he wants a condition inspection done prior to his A/W inspection. I'm wondering if this is typical for other areas.

The rules seem to change often and they are also interpreted differently by each FSDO but anyhow, When I built my kitfox the annual condition inspection was required before FSDO or DAR inspection and the builder was allowed to do it.

Geowitz
02-03-2014, 09:38 AM
The rules seem to change often and they are also interpreted differently by each FSDO but anyhow.

Same for me. I signed off my first condition inspection as the builder before the DAR inspection.

jiott
02-03-2014, 10:33 AM
I am wondering if you guys that are getting an owner assisted annual for about $150 are including the Rotax 100 hour checklist as well as the airframe checklist?

tommg13780
02-03-2014, 11:04 AM
The comments from TJ and Geowitz are making me wonder about a couple details. I didn't ask my DAR about requiring a condition inspection prior to the A/W inspection, I just assumed he could do the A/W inspection as a stand alone operation. I need to check on that. Also Geowitz stated that he did the condition inspection prior to A/W inspection??????? I must be slightly confused because I thought that Repairman certificate is obtained from the FSDO after A/W has been completed?

Slyfox
02-03-2014, 11:10 AM
If you get someone that knows experimentals and trust you doing the work. It generally cost 100-150 for the guy to go along with you with a checklist and than sign it off.

THe big problem is getting someone that cares. there are many ap's that just flat out don't like experimentals. they will look at your plane, shake their head and walk away. those people you do not want doing your plane.

It is tough to find someone. might have to fly your plane to another airport to find one. good luck.

jiott
02-03-2014, 11:26 AM
The last step in the Kitfox build manual (SS7) is the annual condition checklist. You go thru this as the builder (not the repairman yet) and it must be submitted to the MIDO as part of the paperwork package (at least that was the procedure here in Oregon) before they will schedule the AW inspection.

Geowitz
02-03-2014, 11:40 AM
Sorry for the thread creep..., but yeah, the last thing you do as the builder is a condition inspection and an endorsement to your logbook stating...

"I certify that I have built this aircraft for my own education and recreation, and I have inspected it fully. I am the manufacturer, and I consider it eligible for issuance of an Experimental Airworthiness Certificate for the purpose of operating amateur-built aircraft under provisions of FAR 21.191(g). "

For me at least, this had to be done prior to any DAR/FAA inspection. No requirement for an A&P to be involved at all. Looking for a link to document this requirement.

I spent a few dollars on zip ties and cotter pins during my first condition inspection. I had thought about getting an A&P to help just for an extra set of eyes, but didn't have the time around the holidays. I'm guessing around here it would have cost me around $200 - $300 with my assistance.

tommg13780
02-03-2014, 11:49 AM
Thanks Jim & GEO, I will make sure that applies to my situation and then comply.

I really like the concept of being the authorized repairman for this airplane but at the same time my feeling is that fresh eyes on something as complex and potentially hazardous as these airplanes is also a good idea.

I'm waiting for my carbs to come home from LEAF and then it's final assembly. I will update with a new thread and photos upon completion of the A/W inspection.

Geowitz
02-03-2014, 12:18 PM
Finally found it. This link...

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgOrders.nsf/0/1ba6ee60e8779bd7862572c90063c0ac/$FILE/Order%208130.2f%20incorp%20with%20chg%203.pdf

Page 155.