PDA

View Full Version : turtle deck camlock

Jfquebec
01-29-2014, 02:35 PM
hi..guy's in working now on turtle deck...and i have an interogation....they 3 camlock on each side and 3 aft.....so the first one near to spar are even with side of plane ...so that's ok with camlock ,they fit perfectly...but other one are weld not flush outside of tubing but in center...so i figure when i will tight the camlock the aluminum sheet will be curve inside for 1/4'',,,,

i try to show you some pic of that later...
thank

Jfquebec
01-29-2014, 03:21 PM

you can see the first camlock touch the turtle deck but not the 2 other one

kmach
01-29-2014, 07:03 PM
Hi,

I think a couple of my camlocks have aluminum spacers in between the camlocks and tabs.

So the order goes turtledeck ,camlock , aluminum spacer , then the fuselage tabs.

HighWing
01-29-2014, 07:48 PM
The Models I through IV had a sheet of Nylon that was between the camloc tab and the turtle deck. It served as a bearing supporting the inboard end of the flaperon control arm. The newer models have eliminated the bearing and as a result many building the earlier models have decided to eliminate it as well. The spacer will work, you can rivet it to the tab if you want to when you rivet in the camloc recepticle. Pic of the old style below.

n85ae
01-29-2014, 08:09 PM
Ten years after building my plane, and now that I know how to weld, my first
thought is cut and re-weld. The next best is, spacer and longer camlocs for
the two in the pic. Or possibly bend the tabs. 4130 is bendable, and as long
as you kept the forces out of the weld you'd be okay as long as you were
reasonable about it. It's not exactly like those tabs hold the wings on the
plane, so it wouldn't be a big deal.

Regards,
Jeff

Jfquebec
01-29-2014, 08:42 PM
Ha....Lowell ...your the best.....thank's ...

jiott
01-29-2014, 09:19 PM
I had a similar problem, but my camlock receptacles were already riveted to the tabs. So I got some real thick large diameter nylon washers and drilled out the center hole to match the camlock hole and then used Hysol to glue them to the outside of the welded tabs. It filled the gap nicely and also gave a softer surface against the Lexan to avoid scratches.

Jfquebec
01-30-2014, 05:22 AM
Good idea to, Jim...