PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade TRIM

Olle1975
01-24-2014, 12:58 AM
Hello,

I'm from germany and my english isn't the best, sry!
I'm looking for a trimsystem for upgrading my Kitfox III.
Is it possible to get trim-kit to mount on my airplane?
I will be happy about a link (shop), photos or manual for
a trim-kit which I could mount by my kitfox.

Much thanks!

Regards

Olaf

SkyPirate
01-24-2014, 08:41 PM
guten tag Olaf,..have you checked the kitfox website and checked the parts catalog?

http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/Parts_Catalog.htm

SkyPirate
01-24-2014, 08:58 PM
when you say upgrading..do you have an existing trim system ? or are you looking for a trim to put on?

with my model 2 I trimmed with the flaperon setting

cap01
01-24-2014, 10:17 PM
funny thing , Installing a trim system in my model IV is what I'm in the middle of right now . check out highwingllc.com . they offer a kit that includes the tab and the cover for the servo that's required with the slab style elevator . naturally the mod requires cutting and welding the elevator to accommodate the tab and servo . the servo, switch and indicator has to be purchased separately . they use the Ray Allen corp. components .
sorry don't remember any high school German

cap01
01-24-2014, 10:27 PM
chase , I have about 650hrs on the model IV without any trim , not sure I'll be able to get used to flying it when I get the trim going . so far with the weather we've been having there has been no regrets taking her out of service for the mods.
also installing the classic rudder and making the vertical taller to match . when she gets flying she will be one confused Kitfox , guess I'll have to call her a model IV 1050 heavy classic .

SkyPirate
01-24-2014, 10:31 PM
lol Chuck .. sounds like you have it going on with the mods,,I know you will like the larger control surfaces , it's been awful cold here as well,..waiting on a warm day to get my plane to the guy making new graphics for me,..hopefully in the next week or so

cap01
01-24-2014, 10:41 PM
not so much cold but fog most all day long , been in this weather pattern for probably a week , before that lots of wind and rain . but cold enough for concern about poly fiber on the vertical in the unheated hangar . the elevator and rudder I'm doing in the shop.

Olle1975
01-25-2014, 02:13 AM
Much thanks to all replys!

guten tag Olaf,..have you checked the kitfox website and checked the parts catalog?

Yes I have but I only find a system without photo for 500$. I'm looking for a easy way to balance the elevation, may be by flaperons, fether by elevator strut oder a little flettner-trim for the rudder.

do you have an existing trim system ? or are you looking for a trim to put on?

I would like to upgrade the kitfox by a trim, I haven't anyone and will put on.

check out highwingllc.com

Thanks, but this a professional way and includes much work...

650hrs on the model IV without any trim

My kitfox with 582 is a little "tail heavy", so it will be nice to trim the plane a little to the top by travel konfiguration.

Thanks

Olaf

HansLab
01-25-2014, 04:29 AM
' a little tail heavy' was my IV at first, I lowered the horizontal tail one hole (per manual three holes to be made, the elevator being mounted in the top-one), and away it was...
No trim, either: trimming with flapperons. Works stunning!

cubtractor
01-25-2014, 07:59 AM
This is the trim that I built for my Model IV. Works great. I didn't want to remove my elevator to add the trim tab so I built this one.

avidflyer
01-25-2014, 09:15 AM
Nice idea on the spring pressure on the elevator push-pull tube. An even simpler system is bungee cord tied to the seat truss, looped around the joystick, and pulled up the stick for more pressure. Used this on several Avid Flyers and it works good and you can do it in just a short time and for just a few $. Jim Chuk

Olle1975
01-25-2014, 09:25 AM
@ Cubtractor & Avidflyer

These are great ideas!

Cubtractor, is this only your own construction or could I get it like a kit?

Avidflyer, do you have pictures from the bungee-system?

Olaf

avidflyer
01-25-2014, 09:32 AM
Just went back into some old pictures and found one of the bungee hooked onto the joystick. I know some have riveted a piece of aluminum with notches cut into it onto the joystick so they could more accurately adjust the tension on the bungee and it couldn't slide up or down the stick by itself. (the higher up you set it, the more pull it has) Jim Chuk

cubtractor
01-25-2014, 09:37 AM
I just built the one. The actuator is similar to the one Kitfox uses now for stab trim but I think mine is from an RV4 flap system(I think). A friend had it lying around and that's the story I got anyway. The springs I experimented with to get the right pressure. It's set up so that if it should go inop, or have a runaway and run full up or full down, I can fully overcome spring pressure and have full control.

Olle1975
01-26-2014, 05:40 AM
Just went back into some old pictures and found one of the bungee hooked onto the joystick. I know some have riveted a piece of aluminum with notches cut into it onto the joystick so they could more accurately adjust the tension on the bungee and it couldn't slide up or down the stick by itself. (the higher up you set it, the more pull it has) Jim ChukThank you, that well easy but I have to pull the stick because of "nose up" in travel konfiguration. I could fix a bungee at the elevator strut ( the long stick from the front to the rear) and pull it forwards for trim. Know I have to find a way to adjust the tension of the bungee, may be by steel rope between a bungee and this for example.....

http://images.internetstores.de/products/5549_22_mm_bis_7_fach_mit_Zug_und_Huelle.jpg

A friend had it lying aroundLying around more over there...? ;)

Olaf

avidflyer
01-26-2014, 06:26 AM
If you need forward pressure on the stick, what if you put the bungee in front of the stick, attach it to the floorboards? Jim

Olle1975
01-26-2014, 06:38 AM
If you need forward pressure on the stick, what if you put the bungee in front of the stick, attach it to the floorboards? Jim

Of course!

I would like to have something like a stick near the my flaperons, I like a tidy cockpit ;-)

Olaf

SkyPirate
01-26-2014, 09:28 AM
I bult this a while back just goofing around,,it has potential to be used for many applications,,can be reproduced at any size

Olle1975
01-26-2014, 09:45 AM
Good work, do you have a pic from the backside?

Olaf

SkyPirate
01-26-2014, 01:47 PM
here you go

ackselle
01-26-2014, 02:13 PM
Not the best picture.... but here's the trim tb I have on my IV Classic. Works great! I have a small lever inside the cab to set it for different conditions. For the most part I leave it as is and my plane flies stright and level with no stick pressure. I don't change it for take off and landings... I just deal with the stick pressure.

Oh yeah.... total cost $0. I just used the scraps of aluminum I already have.

Jfquebec
01-26-2014, 07:26 PM
More detail...( pic) of your trim tab..the cable...the control stick....

ackselle
01-26-2014, 08:23 PM
OK...I'll take pictures and post....stay tuned

Olle1975
01-26-2014, 11:19 PM
OK...I'll take pictures and post....stay tuned

Thanks, that will be fine!!!

Dave Holl
01-27-2014, 01:21 AM
One thing to be aware of with the elevator trim tab is to make sure that you have thought carefully about the design, in particular the actuation of the tab. In the uk we have had a number of in incidents with control flutter when the actuation system has failed virtually always the aircraft has been uncontrollable and ended mKing a forced landing!

ackselle
01-27-2014, 03:57 PM
Olaf,

Here's a few pictures of my trim tab setup...
1) Trim Tab on the elevator

2) Trim Tab actuator on the elevator

3) Trim Lever in the cabin (beside the flaperon lever)

Prost!

Olle1975
01-28-2014, 12:48 AM
Thank you very much!

Where did you get the trim lever, I can't find anyone in net?

Olaf

SkyPirate
01-28-2014, 05:09 AM
It looks like a phantom set up, or a ultra light trim kit, challengers have a similar system too

ackselle
01-28-2014, 06:29 AM
Olaf....I think it's a throttle control from a push lawn mower.

Av8r3400
01-28-2014, 10:50 AM
Just as one man's opinion, I would be very leery of controlling a trim tab using just a push-pull cable.

The inherent "slop" there may be small, but it is the window that can allow flutter to start. By adding a spring to the tab and using the cable as a pull only actuator eliminates this potential. Ackselle, in your situation putting a compression spring over the cable between the rear cable mounting bolt and the trim tab horn would preload the cable into the pull only movement. These cables are really not designed to push. A very small bend in the cable, outside the housing, weakens it's ability to push significantly.

Another solution is to use two cables both in the pull orientation with springs to hold them tight.

Slyfox
01-28-2014, 11:14 AM
no matter how you put a trim in the elevator. I know I would not do without mine. I went and ripped the elevator apart and cut and welded all the pieces that kitfox had. I put in the electric trim motor and now have it in the stick. I love it. makes flying fun.:D

if you want to see what it looks like go here http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/album.php?albumid=339&pictureid=4270

look at the right side of the elevator it's built into it.

Jfquebec
01-28-2014, 11:23 AM
Van's aircraft have a trim cable...i dont have a pic of that...but my friend build an rv-7 and he have one...it is a realy good product...you turn the button left and right > the cable turn > and at the end it is a steel rod come in and out...

Slyfox
01-28-2014, 12:06 PM
the advantage of electric trim, like I have, is if using the rayallen stuff, you have a visual of where the trim is. very nice.

I'm sure with the lever and cable, as long as there is no slop in the system. should work very nicely.

ackselle
01-28-2014, 06:33 PM
Larry.... I don't disagree..... My trim is VERY simple. The push/pull cable is super stiff and works very well. I actually have the parts from Kitfox to change it to the larger elevator and "normal" trim....but I keep on putting the project off because my system works so well. I've got just around 450 hours on my current trim.... One day I'll switch to the real one.

Olle1975
01-29-2014, 01:13 AM
The push/pull cable is super stiff and works very well

Do you have pictures?

Av8r3400
01-29-2014, 06:22 AM
His photos were on page three of this thread.

Link (http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showpost.php?p=37042&postcount=26)

Olle1975
01-29-2014, 09:01 AM
Sry......... :D

Av8r3400
01-29-2014, 09:14 AM
:D:eek::D:D

Olle1975
10-13-2014, 10:55 PM
Thanks for help, the build is completed.
I cut a few sheets and mounted it with a hinge at the elevator.
A steel cable (pull & push) is install throught the fuselage and it's
connect with a throttle-stick under seat.
Now I could exactly adjust the trimtab by rotating the throotle, works fine :-)

Olaf