PDA

View Full Version : Where to mount OAT sender

Jerrytex
01-10-2014, 07:18 AM
My altimeter crapped out. I bought an MGL alt-3 to replace it. It has an OAT sensor. It is the black plastic one and I think it's the same one as they use on all their EFIS units. Looking to see where/how others have mounted their sensors. I am thinking belly somewhere?

Dave S
01-10-2014, 09:13 AM
Hi Jerry,

Don't know if this might help you avoid a deal a pal of mine encountered. If the OAT sensor is put on the belly, depending on the airflow, it might end up with a false positive bias due to heat ducting off the engine. You can avoid direct rays of the sun, but it might be a bit of a study to figure out how to stay out of the engine waste heat.

I'd try to put it somewhere it won't be affected by sunlight, engine heat, etc.:)

Sincerely,

Dave S

Danzer1
01-10-2014, 01:17 PM
Often mounted near the pitot probe on the bottom side of a wing, so you can run the wiring/tubing together. If not possible, how about at or in a wing inspection port/hole - also on the bottom side of the wing.

JohnB
01-10-2014, 03:18 PM
Here is where the Kitfox factory puts theirs.

Jerrytex
01-10-2014, 03:35 PM
Those are some good ideas. I didn't think about the tail. I don't know how much wire I can add to the sensor before it effects the resistance. MGL is closed for the holidays so I can't an answer from them.

The other spot I thought of was in one of the quarter windows. That would put it under the wing and away from the engine. Drill a hole on the plexi glass stick it out slightly and silicone it in.

SkyPirate
01-10-2014, 03:45 PM
I will ask GaWilkie if he can get some photo's of his installation..it's in the wing..he did a nice job

Dorsal
01-10-2014, 04:49 PM
Often mounted near the pitot probe on the bottom side of a wing, so you can run the wiring/tubing together.

That's where mine is, works well.