PDA

View Full Version : Wing Tip Fitting

Esser
12-24-2013, 07:12 PM
So I have the new wing tips that have the landing light and strobe light mount area built in. There is a scribe line on the top of the tip and the bottom. I followed the manual and trimmed the TOP of the tip to the scribe line but I cannot fit the tip the way they are saying in the manual. The landing light mounting recess in the tip is hitting the spar and wont let me do the over lap. Should I trim to the scribe line on the bottom on the tip and call it a day?

JohnB
12-26-2013, 10:46 AM
Esser, I have the same tips that you do.

What I did was to slide the tips onto the mounting strips as far as they would go. Then I moved them around to position them so they were straight and the way I wanted them to end up only too far outboard since they weren't trimmed yet.

Then I measured out from the end rib and made my own scribe line on both top and bottom and trimmed to that. It ended up being close to the factory scribe but not exactly on it. Then I did the final trimming and fitting to get a good margin all the way around.

I also found that after heat tightening the fabric, the end rib will move just slightly. So now I have a little more fitting to do for a nice fit.

Good luck,

chefwarthog
12-26-2013, 01:03 PM
Hi guys, wath kind of wing tips did you get, Hornet or Std???

insert some pictures plase!!!

JohnB
12-26-2013, 04:09 PM
Eric,
These are the optional tips that have mounts for landing lights built into them.

chefwarthog
12-27-2013, 08:58 PM
Woo la la!!! these Wing tips are very nice.... never saw them before..... ok juste put them in my 2015 Christmas list!!! ;)

John, Wath will you put like landing light, that will work with those wing tips? Aerosun or Microsun

Esser
12-28-2013, 08:37 AM
I think the Microsuns fit in there perfect

HighWing
12-28-2013, 08:59 AM
A question. Is this the fitting sequence recommended in the manual? I always fitted my wing tips after fitting the leading edge and covering. I have always assumed the leading edge was the key fit point for the wing tips. At least it was with the open trailing edge of the Horner tips.

JohnB
12-28-2013, 09:10 AM
Yes, here is a picture of a Factory LSA at Oshkosh with the Microsuns installed

Esser
12-28-2013, 09:12 AM
According the the manual, this is the order to do things without riveting the mounting strips until covering.

JohnB
12-28-2013, 09:27 AM
A question. Is this the fitting sequence recommended in the manual? I always fitted my wing tips after fitting the leading edge and covering. I have always assumed the leading edge was the key fit point for the wing tips. At least it was with the open trailing edge of the Horner tips.

Lowell,
My manual doesn't really address the optional tips.

In hindsight, I think it might make more sense to do the final fitting after covering as you know that everything is in its final position then. Having said that, I found it comforting to know that they were going to fit nicely before I put the fabric on. And I did end up trimming a little off the end of the front spar to get the landing light pocket to fit up nicely. That would have been hard to do after covering.

mr bill
12-28-2013, 08:04 PM
I did the match drilling of the aluminum strips to the rib before covering, then burning thru the fabric with a soldering iron after covering , then riveting the aluminum strip in place and finally adding the finishing tape over the rivets.