PDA

View Full Version : December Kitfox flying in Arizona

DesertFox4
12-15-2013, 01:31 PM
Out playing in my favorite Kitfox playground yesterday. Video is in cockpit and natural sound. For some reason the GoPro picks up noise that I do not hear in the headsets.
Beautiful 70 degree afternoon with some play among the hills and a landing at Thunder Ridge. Hope you all are getting some flying in this weekend between Christmas shopping runs.

Kitfox flying in December- (http://youtu.be/wJmevXYgDbs)

SkySteve
12-15-2013, 02:23 PM
Steve, watching that just makes me warm all over. Thanks for the ride.

Slyfox
12-15-2013, 04:19 PM
great video. now tell us what you do to get rid of the prop in the video. what settings?

Pilot4Life
12-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Steve,
Great video of flying in our neck of the woods! Most of mine, except for the occasional cross country, is done 9,500 to 13,500 above Benson and in the pattern at KFHU! For now, I'm living through you all until I can buy/build my own. Would love to have picked up that Model 4-1200 out of Missourri, but it looks like I may miss out. Enjoyed the flight with you...keep it up and fly safe!

SkyPirate
12-15-2013, 05:20 PM
Sweet :) hopefully i can get some altitude tomorrow if they plow the runway

wannafly
12-15-2013, 06:40 PM
thanks for the flash back, what a memory that is. I too would like to know how you got the gopro to not do the prop flicker...

mr bill
12-15-2013, 07:12 PM
In the video, you appear to be moving very fast. How fast were you going?

DesertFox4
12-15-2013, 07:43 PM
In the video, you appear to be moving very fast. How fast were you going? The low pass was at 140 mph.
The rest of the time I'm in the 110 to 120 mph range.

great video. now tell us what you do to get rid of the prop in the video. what settings? Here is my modification I posted some time ago. It really works.
Nuetral density filter modification to GoPro Black edition camera (http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=5049)

AirFox
12-15-2013, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the Ride Steve. I tried to go up today in the NW but the clouds just wouldn't lift earlier in the day. The video sure was a treat after a day of building. Electrical Done! Hope to be flying soon.

Scott

GWright6970
12-15-2013, 11:30 PM
Steve,
THANK YOU! :DThat is one of the best Kitfox videos out there!!:D

(SUPER HINT: Feel free to add MORE!!!)

Slyfox
12-16-2013, 08:44 AM
The low pass was at 140 mph.
The rest of the time I'm in the 110 to 120 mph range.

Here is my modification I posted some time ago. It really works.
Nuetral density filter modification to GoPro Black edition camera (http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=5049)

thanks for going over the info again. That is for sure a winter project for me now so I can get my Hero3 black working as good as yours.

DesertFox4
12-16-2013, 09:09 AM
Slyfox- this mod works. I spent more time trying to locate the stupid tool kit. GoPro uses the smallest torx "bolts" I've ever seen. Harbor Freight had a kit finally. Should have tried them first.

On a side note- I've since seen some GoPro Black editions with no screws holding the lens cover on. They must do design changes quickly at GoPro.
There is still a solution available for that iteration. It's a snap on neutral density filter made of glass. It's a little less rugged but still a viable solution.

Also I purchased my GoPro Black Edition from Cabella's for about $330.00 if memory serves. Most places are in the $399.00 range. Not sure if Cabella's is still at that price but worth a look.

The down side to the wifi remote is it uses battery power quickly. I may look into the battery backpack option from GoPro which would also require a backpack case. I carry 3 fully charged camera batteries with me which I can change on the ground but does you no good when it craps out while flying.:rolleyes:

Slyfox
12-16-2013, 09:18 AM
I've had my black for a while and it has the screws on the front. I will check out harbor freight for the torx set. I also noted the high use of battery on the wifi. which works real good on my smart phone. My thought was to install a ubs port and drill a hole in the case and than hook it up. thus giving it a working charge all the time. thanks for the help

also I bought my hero from best buy, they had the same price as anybody else. what they offered was the card and I think a case for free. so that's where I got mine.

DesertFox4
12-16-2013, 03:39 PM
Oil changing time for my 912ULS. Had to fly to warm it up good. It was 68 degrees F. Climbing warmed it up to 190 degrees. The sky was so blue I had to go up and get some of that blue on my Kitfox.
Not an exciting video but not every flight is down at cactus level.;)
You can ride along if you like and see just how far Phoenix urban sprawl goes to the North. Take note that DVT airport is considered on the North side of Phoenix. Last big housing development in the video is Del Webb's Anthum.

You will see in the first part a Cessna 210 departing on the parallel runway. He wanted to turn N.E. and I was out climbing him and had to finally level off to let him turn on his N. E. heading. He passed right over me and by only 400 feet or so. Just messing with him a little. I'm so naughty. Those Kitfoxs have a reputation for being so slow. Ya right.

North departure from DVT (http://youtu.be/sIASlFjP4Xs)

P.S. - Oil is changed and no leaks. Ready for 25 more hours of Kitfoxing fun and I used a different program to process this short video. I didn't use GoPro's Studio 2 this time. I see the vignetting is still present in the corners of the video. I used something free called Video Pad.
I'm still experimenting with this video uploading thing.

WISDAN
12-18-2013, 08:24 PM
Great video's DF4, just had my Kitfox up this afternoon.....just a little cooler than your temps (wish I was there) 21F at wheels up but still a warmer sunny day than what we have been having. Super smooth skies but chilly after an hour or so of flying. I'm about 30 minutes from Oshkosh.

Dan

P Morel
01-01-2014, 07:41 PM
How Cool! You made the SocialFlight video of the week! Congrats!

Got it on my SocialFlight event planner.

jimmel
01-03-2014, 05:51 PM
Great video of flight to Thunder Ridge, Been There Done That, a few years back, Thanks again Steve, your adopted brother Jim Tate!

DesertFox4
01-03-2014, 08:13 PM
Thanks Jim. Good to hear from you. We've had some fun flights.
You need a Kitfox BTW.;):)