PDA

View Full Version : Glass

Flybyjim
12-04-2013, 07:06 PM
Is all the glass in the kitfox plexiglass or lexan
Jim

SkyPirate
12-04-2013, 07:12 PM
Normally lexan unless the molded windscreen was installed, dont use plexiglass it will crack and haze quicker

Flybyjim
12-04-2013, 07:13 PM
So what does the new super 7 have

Av8r3400
12-04-2013, 08:55 PM
Lexan will craze almost immediately in contact with Gasoline. I've spilled gas on my molded windshield with no ill effects.

I don't know for sure, but I think the new SS kits come with the molded.

tommg13780
12-05-2013, 07:48 AM
1. The mechanical properties are the main difference. Plexi-glass is fragile in nature with impact resistance. It tends to crack and chip easily. Lexan can be impacted continously with little or no wear / cracks chips or etc.
2. The cost Lexan is substantially more expensive.
3. If your using these as a temporary or pemanent fix use plexiglass for temporary items and Lexan for permanent repairs.
4. Lexan is commonly used in Industrial Applications while plexi-glass is more of an household item where little or no mechanical properties are require.

Just to summarize what others have already said:

Lexan - trademark name for the material otherwise known as polycarbonate. Used to make bulletproof windows, it's tougher than plexiglass/acrylic and 2 or 3 times more expensive.

Plexiglass - trademark name for material otherwise known as acrylic, polymethylmethacrylate (or PMMA), or Lucite.

The kitfox molded windshields are acrylic, same as Cessna/piper and others.

Also as stated previously the polycarbonate/lexan products react adversely to contact with gasoline.

Slyfox
12-05-2013, 08:29 AM
this is the scoop. lexan. now I learned a long time ago how to use this on the windscreen. yes I had my first one I did haze and then crack, crack from the corner all the way down the front of the windscreen. guess where it happened? out of town of course.

this is what I do. I make the windscreen, use .090 lexan. after install you take a heat gun, mine is 1500watt, and run it on the corner that likes to haze. you will actually hear it creek and pop, that's ok, it's laxing up. I've had my current windscreen in place for over 4 years and if the sun is right you will se a slight bit of crazing. My advice is to take some scrap and run the heat gun on that and get use to the heat and how much.

one of these days I want to get the better windscreen but for now, lexan is my choice.

jiott
12-05-2013, 10:51 AM
The recent SS7 kits have acrylic molded windscreen, acrylic molded bubble doors and Lexan turtledeck and quarter windows.

Jim

Micro Mong Bldr
12-05-2013, 08:03 PM
If it's outside a lot, Lexan is much more subject to UV light damage than acrylic. For most of us that is not a factor.

Larry

Slyfox
12-06-2013, 08:38 AM
my main concern with the acrylic is the weight.