PDA

View Full Version : Model 1 Bubble Door Mod

SkySteve
05-12-2009, 08:20 AM
This year I have added two new items to my plane. A fuel flow instument and custom tinted bubble doors. There have never been bubble doors for the model 1. Now there are.

These doors have added 6 inches of interior room to my cabin and have eliminated the need for the mid-door bar that hits you right in the shoulder. The look is much cleaner without the middle door bar and so is the view. The window is very clean with no stretch marks and no fish eye. These doors have made my plane a true two person aircraft. My model 1 cabin is now 42 inches wide! There is plenty of room to let your knee relax out to the side. Also plenty of room for your shoulder and elbow.

This is a GREAT MOD. They are made from 1/8" acrylic. If you want them, we now represent the manufacturer and you can get a set for $400, plain or tinted, same price.

Here is the link to the photo album: http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/album.php?albumid=78

lbushrod
05-12-2009, 09:35 AM
Steve,

Really like the doors. Where did you get them? Would like to see if they make a set for the model 2.

Pete

jrthomas
05-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Steve, Are these doors available for model 4s? If you don't use the factory door frames,how are they attached? Do they still hinge from the top and use the the other Kitfox hardware?How can we order? More info, please.Thanks.

SkySteve
05-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Pete,
I'll check on the model 2. I think it can be done for the same price, but I'll confirm.

lbushrod
05-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Steve,

Hope they do, the doors look outstanding. I have the same questions concerning the mounting but not a lot of concern.

I noticed that you are representing the manufacturer which is great! I know a number of Kitfox and Avid people who would be interested. Get me some info please.

Pete

SkySteve
05-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Tom,
You can get model IV doors from Kitfox Aircraft. My intent is not to take business away from Kitfox, but rather fill a need that I had. I know others have the same need for things not offered by Kitfox. If you really want THESE doors, I think we can make them for you, but like I said, Kitfox already has bubble doors for your model.

We do use the factory door frames, the top hinges and all normal hardware. Just use a dremel tool to cut out for the hinges and trim along the outside for a final fit for your plane. My model 1 has a door clasp on the bottom of the door frame so the center bar was there for added strength. These doors are strong enough that I could remove the center bar. I think the model IV has the door clasp as part of the center bar, so you would not want to remove that.

lbushrod
05-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Steve,

I called Deb not quite a year ago about bubble doors for my model 2 and they did not have them. I knew they were going to provide the newer models. Glad there is no competition.

That being said, I fly with a couple of other kitfoxes and two avids. All of us can handle tools so the question is can we make them fit. Am going to forward this post to a couple of them.

Thanks,

Pete

SkySteve
05-12-2009, 07:46 PM
Pete,
Yes, I called Kitfox too for doors for my model 1. They did not have them. I also called LP Aero Plastics and they wanted $550 for a tinted set (plus freight) plus $3,000 for the mold to make doors for a model 1.

I just checked with my manufacturer and they confirmed they can make doors for the model II, or Avid for $400/set, clear or tinted, your choice. They will need one door frame from your airplane to use in making the mold. When I sent them my door frame, I had it back, with the new doors in about 2 weeks time. You pay for the freight both ways, which was about another $150 from/to Utah.

jdmcbean
05-13-2009, 07:24 AM
Pete,
Yes, I called Kitfox too for doors for my model 1. They did not have them. I also called LP Aero Plastics and they wanted $550 for a tinted set (plus freight) plus $3,000 for the mold to make doors for a model 1.

I just checked with my manufacturer and they confirmed they can make doors for the model II, or Avid for $400/set, clear or tinted, your choice. They will need one door frame from your airplane to use in making the mold. When I sent them my door frame, I had it back, with the new doors in about 2 weeks time. You pay for the freight both ways, which was about another $150 from/to Utah.

Steve please contact me when you get a chance.

Caution guys.. The reason we do not have specific bubble doors for the Model 1 and the Model 2 is because there where about 3 different frames. We can have them made but need the door frames from your aircraft to be able to provide them.

Colinpmoss
03-27-2011, 01:34 PM
Hi
Are the bubble doors still available for a mk1. If they are, could you give me the contact details of the manufacturer. Also I need to find out if they would ship to the UK.
Thanks
colin

GDN
03-31-2011, 12:12 AM
I have a kitfox 2, can you give me an adress or website to contact that company making the bubble door PLZ ?

Fly Safe

jtprouty
01-15-2018, 10:55 AM
I know this is an old thread but I'm in need for a Kitfox 1 door and would like to know if these are still available. Do the include the door frame (complete door?)

Jimmy

PapuaPilot
01-15-2018, 08:03 PM
The best way to know is to contact the factory.

jrthomas
01-16-2018, 11:31 AM
Seeing if I can post a picture of my doors.15012

jrthomas
01-16-2018, 11:36 AM

Since I just learned how to post a picture I'll do another. That's my best buddy's Whitman Tailwind behind me.

DesertFox4
01-16-2018, 11:47 AM
Sweet Kitfox James.

jtprouty
01-31-2018, 02:52 PM
Contacted Kitfox. No door parts or drawings are available for the Model 1....