PDA

View Full Version : Kitfox Moments

lbushrod
05-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Since joining this forum I have noticed a lot of questions from newbies or wannabies about our planes. Post after post answer the questions of how to or which is better, what we did or what we want to do.

What I don't see much of are posts relating to our way of life, our adventures or 'moments' of the pure joy of flying our planes.

In 45 years of flying I cannot tell you how many times I have remarked, "Look at what we get to do!"

Personally, I love to pull the power back to a nice controllable airspeed, drop down low and S-turn following a river or canyon or road then add power, climb to a chandelle and do it again. I see the world from a different perspective every time I climb into the cockpit and smile at the wonder of my passengers that I share my adventures with.

I just returned from cross-country to Columbia and the Luscombe fly-in. I have many Luscombe friends and spent three days enjoying their company and listening to their stories and adventures.

I flew nearly 400 miles where I was 1000' agl or less with beautiful weather and acceptable wind. My doors were open and my engine purred while I watched the landscape roll by.

I would love to hear some of your stories, your 'moments' relating the joy of flying to the visitors of this forum and I am sure they would also.

Look what we get to do!

Pete

SkyPirate
05-11-2009, 11:19 AM
and then there was the time.....
I was flying up the connecticut river that borders NH and VT,..it was a fall day,..you could smell the leaves as they went thru thier seasonal change even at 1000 AGL,..the sun was just about to touch the top of Mount Sunapee Ski area,.. doors off ,..I never fly with doors in the summer/ fall,..just taking in the views as the mountains seem to change from colorful patchwork to a purple hue,..all of a sudden ..motion at my 10 Oclock~!! at the same altitude~! it's a kamakazie Goose~!! I quickly nose her down and turn and pull er' back up to come up on his tail ..that dang goose didn't have his clearance lights on~! ..we were on a collision course for sure.. good thing the kit has the grace to respond like she did ..whew.. that goose woulda been supper :)

SkyPirate
05-11-2009, 11:54 AM
and then there was the time...........
I towed the kitfox down to a fly in ,..I know,. I know ..it's a fly in ..yer spose to "Fly-in" ,.shesh cut me some slack here ha ha ..well ok ..where was I ,..oh yeh towed her to a fly in at Barnstable field in Barnstable Mass,.. some call it an airfield ..I call it a ski slope with mogels :) anyway ,..I unload the kit,.. did a preflight,..and took off headed for the coast,..the wind is blowing around 25 knots out of the north east,..so I get to my preferred altitude..300 feet AGL,..which is also 300 ASL in that part of the country..and fly over the marsh area between barnstable and the coast,..I hit the open water of cape cod bay,..what a feeling of awe as you leave the edge of semi dry land to open water,,..I fly a little further south and see the mansions that line the coast on my right,..I see a sand bar ,..it looks to be about 75 foot long or so ,..without questioning myself ..I turned into the wind and landed on the sand bar,..no problems,,I get out of the kit,..drag her tail back to the south end of the sand bar,..I see some commotion on the beach as these little black jeeps approach,..they are looking and pointing ,.. after a brief discusion of what I was doing ,..they were more impressed that the plane could land that short,..and I'm sure even more impressed when I got into the kit and then took off ..with room to spare,I might add :)
It made for a fun week end on the Cape,..my home town ,..and another flying story added to my library :)

Slyfox
05-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Personally, I love to pull the power back to a nice controllable airspeed, drop down low and S-turn following a river or canyon or road then add power, climb to a chandelle and do it again. I see the world from a different perspective every time I climb into the cockpit and smile at the wonder of my passengers that I share my adventures with.

Sounds like my normal everyday flight. :eek: