PDA

View Full Version : Jacking point on mod IV with spring grear?

beeryboats
11-04-2013, 06:59 PM
Hi all,
I made nice dollies so I can move my new baby around in the barn easily with the wings folded, but I don't see any way to jack it up to put it on wheel dollies. It has the Grove spring gear with the brake lines coming out the bottom, so you can't put a jack under the gear leg. Is the wing strong enough at the strut attach point to let me fold the wings out and lift from there? Most aircraft I've worked on had hollow gear axles that would accept an adapter so a floor jack could be utilized.

SkyPirate
11-04-2013, 07:46 PM
I am making one of these to use as a jack point and a temp step for short passengers to climb in without stepping on wheel pant put it with the T handle/step inward and put the jack under it,..flip it over and put it with T on outside and its a step

Dorsal
11-05-2013, 05:49 AM
Chase,
How much for the cool invertible Chaseamatic JackStep?

t j
11-05-2013, 06:18 AM
When weighing I set the scale next to the wheel, place a long 2X4 on the floor one end next to the scale the other end under the wing tip. Lift the wing tip one hand on each spar at the #10 rib. Push the end of the 2X4 with one foot to slide the scale under the wheel.

These dollies from the Chinese tool store look like they would work. http://www.harborfreight.com/1250-lb-capacity-mechanical-wheel-dolly-67287.html Might want to be sure how small a tire diameter they will lift.

SkyPirate
11-05-2013, 06:41 AM
If you want one Finn i will have my guy make 2 and send ya one :)

Dick B in KY
11-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Hey Chase, Are you going into the fab and sell business? Might be interested.

Dick B

SkyPirate
11-05-2013, 02:46 PM
Lol no, i have a friend that can make a couple for me, sold my welding business years ago :)

airlina
11-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Search spring gear jacking on this site to get some ideas

SkyPirate
11-05-2013, 03:14 PM
I had put drawings in the post " landing gear foot step" that are a better example of how it would work

HighWing
11-05-2013, 05:13 PM
Is the wing strong enough at the strut attach point to let me fold the wings out and lift from there?

I bought a hydraulic transmission jack from Harbor Freight - the kind that stands upright and is about six feet or so when extended - and made a top attachment that gives the needed height and have jacked my Model IV using that numerous times. The very top is made from round Delrin stock cut to fit over the tiedown ring so it is fastened securely without gouging anything. My feeling is that the whole airplane when flying is hanging pretty much from the lift struts. I also feel comfortable working under it - tires, brakes and bearings - as there is no way anything could possibly knock it off that jack.

beeryboats
11-05-2013, 05:50 PM
Thanks all. I love Sky's idea on the step/jack point. I'm going to have a pair made up with longer arms so jack stands can be placed under while jacked up.

SkyPirate
11-05-2013, 06:17 PM
A longer arm increases the force on the fork part that slides over the landing gear, im going to use .045 wall .75 4130, to have these made, if you go more the 6" on the step/ jack point, make another "U" that will slide into the ends of the tubing so the fork doesnt spread , i will put rubber hose over the forks that go against the gear leg

make it so "B" will slide into "A" if your making the step/jack leg longer then 6" the weld symbol for 100% should be ,050 not ,50

Av8r3400
11-05-2013, 09:06 PM
I cheat and use my ski axles. To mount my skis I installed Grove axles to the inside of the spring gear. I use that as my jack pad… :o

SkyPirate
11-05-2013, 09:51 PM
that'll work Larry :)

jiott
11-05-2013, 11:12 PM
I use some large wooden blocks and a bottle jack on top of the blocks, placed right under the mounting blocks (gear to fuse) for the Grove spring gear.

Jim

SkyPirate
11-06-2013, 07:00 PM
had this one made out of solid 316 SS,..if I could have found the clear fuel line or blue that would fit over ,6125 round stock I would have opted for that instead of the black hose,

if your going to make one of these,..take the thickness of your landing gear,..add ,125" then add 2x the thickness of the hose/tubing your going to put over the steel,this will give you .125 plus thickness of gear between the forks..set the step leg/jack point at 15 degrees

Dorsal
11-07-2013, 04:29 AM
Looks good, neat idea!

SkyPirate
11-07-2013, 06:39 AM
Thanks Finn, i ordered new tires , went with the 600x6 so i can get wheel pants and put them on, should be here in the next few days, so i will get a chance to try it out, already tried it as a step, works perfect :)