PDA

View Full Version : Issues with 912UL and model lV-1200

sdemeyer
05-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Problem 1.
The right rear exhaust pipe completely severed approximately 2" behind where it connects into the cylinder. Is this a weldable item or is a new pipe in order? If a new pipe, where can I purchase?

Problem 2.
Carburetor boot is severed between carb and manifold. Where can I purchase new boots?

I want to replace all the fuel lines. Currently they are standard auto fuel hose with the round worm gear clamps. Is there a better/safer alternative.

Thanks,

Scott

DesertFox4
05-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Scott , your exhaust pipe may be repairable. A good welder should be able to repair it.

John and Deb McBean own Kitfox Aircraft LLC and I just went through their entire parts catalog and did not see carb flanges (boots) available but that doesn't mean they don't have them or access to them. They are dealers for the entire Rotax line-up of engines.
I'd call there first and check otherwise John or Deb will give you California Power Supply or Lockwood Aviation's number for the flanges. Always a good idea to replace both at the same time. If one failed the other may be close behind. Just replaced a set on a friends Kitfox 912 today. His were serviceable but at least 10 years old.

John and Deb can help you with the fuel line advice also. They carry good fuel line and clamps in stock. Save the following contact info. for Kitfox Aircraft LLC. It will come in handy in the future.:)

For your carb flanges (boots) and fuel line/clamps and if you can't find someone local I'm sure they would be able to fix your exhaust pipe for you too. They've got excellent welders at their factory.

John & Deb McBean at:

Via phone: 208.337.5111 (Mountain Time - USA / UTC: -7 hours)
Via email: info@kitfoxaircraft.com (info@kitfoxaircraft.com)

John McBean

208.337.5111 phone
208.337.5116 fax
john@kitfoxaircraft.com (john@kitfoxaircraft.com)
Debra McBean

208.337.5111 phone
208.337.5116 fax
debra@kitfoxaircraft.com (debra@kitfoxaircraft.com)

All other inquiries can be sent to this address:

123 Airport Way
PO Box 997
Homedale, ID 83628 USA

Agfoxflyer
05-10-2009, 06:08 AM
Scott, I had same failure of the exhaust pipe. See http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=227 I had a welder experienced in stainless steel welding. In this case he worked at a manufacturer for poultry processing euipment. I have maybe thirty hours since and it's holding well. I check the exhaust carefully about every other flight.

David

SkyPirate
05-10-2009, 08:56 AM
get it "tig" welded .it looks to be an area where it can be welded without removing it from the motor,..if you do remove it,..the welder can tack it in place first,..then remove it and weld it 100%,..the biggest problem when welding a short flange is making sure it stays in plane with the head,and the bolt holes line up after welding..clamping the exhaust manifold to a solid flat bar at each port after it's tacked ,..if removed,..works well .
If your in an area that you have snow,..you can match your carb boot up ,..sometimes,.. to a snowmobile carb. boot,...allot of the snowmobiles use bombardier motors.

that weld in the photo that broke is a wire feed weld ..and is what is called a cold weld,..the welder did not get enough heat on both pieces being welded to get good penetration,..a tig welder will weld it with zero perocity 100% and it anneals the weld at the same time relaxing any weld induced stress