PDA

View Full Version : electrical connections

phintz
11-02-2013, 07:26 PM
I just started running wire. I'm wandering are more people crimping the #6 awg or soldering. I was told to stay away from soldering if you can. Looking for advice from more experienced than I. Thanks

Patrick
series 6 builder (wiring)
:rolleyes:

rogerh12
11-02-2013, 07:48 PM
Actually, I do both with big wire....
I don't know what the issue with solder might be, maybe it just takes longer, or maybe folks think it will melt. Your insulation will melt first, I can tell you that.
Roger

SkyPirate
11-02-2013, 08:12 PM
solder is always better in my book, and dyolithic grease on bolt on connections

Av8r3400
11-02-2013, 10:17 PM
Solder makes for a rigid connection which can, in some cases, invite cracks and failures of the connection.

Not an expert, just what I have read and heard from other builders.

DesertFox4
11-02-2013, 11:16 PM
Having flown with and hung around with an actual "rocket scientist", he helped build the guidance system in the Space Shuttle, who said on more than one occasion that there were no soldered wire connections on the Space Shuttle. Only crimped. The soldered wires will fatigue at the solder and the wires will break if not properly strain relieved. I sure don't know that for a fact but I can tell you there were no soldered connections in his Kitfox. I did mine like his, mostly.

I had an electrical issue last week that I think I discovered today and fixed. Yes, it was one of the very few wires I broke with his wiring edict and soldered to my avionics master relay. It took 10 years of flying to finally fatigue and cause a nasty intermittent problem. I thought I had it well strain relieved too.:o
I know Ray Volk is looking down from Heaven saying, " I told you so".:rolleyes:

Dorsal
11-03-2013, 04:50 AM
I also do not use solder for the reasons stated above, I crimped my engine ground cable with the swaging tool.

Dave F
11-03-2013, 07:38 AM
stady away from solder --it can cause fatigue.

use good crimpers - ratchet style. not cheapies.

Know how to tell a good crimp fom a poor one.

You can also use a few inches or so of heat shrink to put over the connector after connected. This will provide some strain relief to the connection.

Cheers.

phintz
11-03-2013, 02:57 PM
Well I have to say that if NASA personel says to crimp, Crimp it is!!!!!
Thanks for the posts gentlemen!!!! All info is appreciated!

Dave Holl
11-03-2013, 03:09 PM
Crimping is the best way to go!
I have had 35 years in the avionics industry and where possible we will always crimp. On the B737 most electrical connections are crimped but there are a number of soldered connections to switches namely the spoiler test switches and guess what has given problems in the past?!!!

WISDAN
11-03-2013, 07:22 PM
I totally agree with using crimped connections for the reasons stated. Experience has shown this to be true for me, although I failed to convince a builder friend not to solder his...........Hope all works well for him.

ClickClickBoom
11-12-2013, 09:40 PM
Robinson Helicopters use crimps.

cap01
11-12-2013, 11:16 PM
as long as a quality ratcheting crimper is used along with amp pidg terminals and splices . not the cheap vinyl insulated automotive crap . not very much soldering in any of the newer big jets . boeing tried to use wire wrapping like the phone companies use for terminal strip connections on the 747-400 . didn't work out so well and didn't catch on with anyone else .

ofergd
11-13-2013, 11:16 AM
Soldering #6 wires on a small plane like a KF is not so bad. For smaller wires crihis is common practice in the aviation and automotive industries.