PDA

View Full Version : Looking to build kitfox, but have some questions

picsf340
10-19-2013, 09:20 AM
I am seriously considering building a kitfox. There just isn't a lot that I don't like about this airplane, but I am nervous-primarily about the build.

First, the covering. The process terrifies me. I want a high quality job and I just don't know what to expect.

In general, how difficult is this process really going to be?

Anyone out there flying these airplanes under IFR?

Anyone with the Lycoming 235 or continental o200 that might be able to provide cruise information (range and speed)?

What are you guys realistically seeing for takeoff and landing distances from grass strips?

Thanks guys

Dorsal
10-19-2013, 10:15 AM
Don't fear the covering, it is really not that hard. If you want to remove any concerns take one of the EAA covering workshops. I learned by reading the Stits manual and watching a few videos.

Dave F
10-19-2013, 12:39 PM
look a the video I just posted today -- KF 5 taking off from my grass strip
it weights over 900 lbs EMPTY !!!!!
and I think it a lyc 235 .........

BobRS
10-19-2013, 09:11 PM
It's far easier than you could imagine and MEK forgives many sins. Even rib stitching became a family affair and my wife publicly volunteered to help anyone stitch wings at our last EAA chapter meeting. We took the class at Oshkosh 2012, but buy the Poly Fiber DVD... everything you need to learn is in there. The woman in the video also taught our class at Osh. I wasn't happy with only one section of my covering (the razorback) and I took it off with MEK. I've posted on this forum what it looks like after the redo and a different approach (which looks great). We are just finishing the last coat of UV Poly-Spray and if you apply attention to detail, the Kitfox covering will look great. I just talked to another builder friend of mine (he built an RV)... he never wants to see another rivet in his life and was surprised to see how nice the Stits covering looks on our SS7.

ken nougaret
10-20-2013, 06:30 AM
I went to the tripletreeaerodrome fly-in in south Carolina in September. they had a full day course on covering for free. it was very helpful for my wife and I; now i'm not sweating the covering. I should start covering my ss7 soon.
now, I might sweat the final finish of paint a little.
ken

jamesmil
10-20-2013, 06:58 AM
hi picsf340, we all had the same concerns about certain parts of the build. the covering is a large part of the build but it can be broken up in to smaller parts such as doing the elevator and the horizontal stabilizer to get comfortable with covering. that's the way we started with the idea that if we messed up we would only lose a little bit of work till we got it right. glad to say that we didn't have to fix anything and as we went along in the covering it got easier and more rewarding. also this fourm is one of the best tools you can have in your tool box. there is not one part of the kitfox build that has not been discussed on here and all you have to do if you have a question is post it here and someone will jump in to help. for me the since of accomplishment of building my own airplane is as great as the joy of flying it.

picsf340
10-20-2013, 07:00 AM
Thanks everyone for the input. I am also interested to see what you guys who are flying are actually seeing for takeoff and landing distances, especially at the 1550 gross weight. I plan on having a Lycoming 235

N981MS
10-21-2013, 07:47 AM
Real world Series 6 IO-240. Should be comparable to an O-235

I live in Dublin, Georgia. I regularly fly into a 1000 foot strip even on 100 degree days. I would like more length (or better approaches) at gross on a hot day for my comfort level though.

IAS about 100kts at 2000 feet.

Don't sweat the covering. I did. Pretty much everybody does, but afterwards most say that was the most enjoyable part. Watch the video and read the book. Do it like they say and all will go well.

Did most of my IFR training in it but do not have any actual IMC in it. I would not hesitate to go though a layer if needed. That is about all the IMC I do anyway.

Come see us and we'll take a ride. Our EAA chapter meets first Saturday at lunch. Let me know and come on over. I'll even buy lunch.