PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have any info on this KSUS Kitfox Model IV "Ground Loop" on 08/19/2013?

Danzer1
10-15-2013, 05:23 PM
Found this while searching for prop info - here: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62639

I can't find any accident or incident report anywhere. I'm considering a Rotec R2800 for an SS7 build and would like to know more details if anyone can add anything.

Seems like there might have been an engine swap and possibly a CG issue.

Thanks,
Greg

Av8r3400
10-15-2013, 05:47 PM
Per the information in that forum, the plane was a model IV. This motor is definitely much heavier than anything intended for that airframe. There are several flying, but this weight would definitely be something you would need to be mindful of.

A 7-SS is much more capable of handling the weight of the Rotec radial motor. It's a much larger airframe intended to be able to handle heavier engines like this. Much more than a IV, at least.

Danzer1
10-15-2013, 07:13 PM
He works out of KSUS and volunteers at K33. He stated "Just got to work" so I am assuming KSUS. Haven't been able to verify that either though.

Larry, in general I agree with you. I am 1st trying to confirm which engine was in the aircraft. Then what caused the nose over, as not nearly as many ground loops result in that drastic an "attitude".

In my research for engines, I find the Rotec R2800 to be somewhat of an enigma. As, ALL of the data available is "anecdotal" - seat of the pants impressions - including from the manufacturer. While helpful - it does not provide any calculable data that I can draw my own conclusions from. To satisfy the engineer (over 25 yrs) in me enough, to be willing to hang my butt (and loved ones) in the air behind one (literally).

So, as i must rely on R2800 testimonials (as the manufacturer touts) - I want all of them I can get - good and bad.

Greg