PDA

View Full Version : trailering questions

beeryboats
10-13-2013, 12:46 PM
I've searched the old forums for trailering tips, but I still have a couple specific questions. Does anyone have a taildragger on spring gear that can get me a total width measurement from tire to tire? And I see where you should trailer with the tail up, but I don't know how high. 3-4 feet sound about right? I have the ok from the rental company to screw wheel chocks and a tail stand to the wood deck of the trailer, but I'm still trying to figure out how to secure the tires and tail to the trailer without some serious mods to the decking. I don't want to push my luck too far. I rent from them often and it's the only place in town.

SkyPirate
10-13-2013, 06:05 PM
I have 6"x8" wheels on my TD model 5 with spring gear, figure 7'6" wide at the mains out side to outside and that gives you a couple inches too, i havent set my tail up with wings folded yet so i dont have a tail height measurement, what will determine this on any trailer is what wheels/ tires on main and what tailwheel so even if i give you exact measurements for my plane, it might not be the same for another

Chase

t j
10-14-2013, 06:09 AM
If you really feel you need to have the tail up, 3 or 4 feet is way to high. I trailer mine with the tail down all the time.

For reference, this trailer deck is 22 inches off the ground.

The wings are pretty level with the tail wheel at 22 inches off the ground.

On the trailer.

Tail support.

Main wheel tire slings.

Here's an idea for attaching to a rental trailer. Maybe this will spark some more ideas from others. Build some sort of false deck with your tie down points attached to it and attach the whole thing to the deck of the rented trailer by wrapping ratchet straps around the whole thing.

Dave F
10-14-2013, 06:23 AM
I've searched the old forums for trailering tips, but I still have a couple specific questions. Does anyone have a taildragger on spring gear that can get me a total width measurement from tire to tire? And I see where you should trailer with the tail up, but I don't know how high. 3-4 feet sound about right? I have the ok from the rental company to screw wheel chocks and a tail stand to the wood deck of the trailer, but I'm still trying to figure out how to secure the tires and tail to the trailer without some serious mods to the decking. I don't want to push my luck too far. I rent from them often and it's the only place in town.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8aBSJbegCw

beeryboats
10-14-2013, 03:39 PM
Thanks guys! The photos and the video cleared up two questions, but raised more. Do all Kitfox's have the tube forward of the tail wheel spring for tie down? And how long is the support rod between the wing leading edge and the fuselage I see on Dave's video? I bet I could use some metal conduit and hammer the ends flat and make my own supports. Tom, great idea on the sub-deck for the trailer. I'm still thinking on that.
Jay

kitfox5v
10-14-2013, 05:42 PM
Jay, Wing supports are 1/2 conduit from lowes. As you said measure and hammer flat to fit. Drill top hole 3/8s and bottom 7/16s. bolt under wing support. easy as that, $5.00 tops. Eddie:)

beeryboats
10-14-2013, 06:12 PM
Jay, Wing supports are 1/2 conduit from lowes. As you said measure and hammer flat to fit. Drill top hole 3/8s and bottom 7/16s. bolt under wing support. easy as that, $5.00 tops. Eddie:)

Thanks Eddie. Any idea how long? It looks about 4-5 feet.

I just had another thought. I have some old tire chains, why couldn't I toss one over each tire and lag bolt the chains tight to the trailer deck? I'm only going about 50 miles on back roads at less than 50mph.

Av8r3400
10-14-2013, 07:49 PM
Be careful using a car hauling trailer to transport your Kitfox. It will ride very, very harshly with only a couple hundred pounds on it. Damage can result from this jarring action.

The wing supports, on both ends, are super critical. As is the way the tail is supported to prevent damage to the empanage tubing or the tailwheel spring.

t j
10-15-2013, 06:27 AM
Any idea how long? It looks about 4-5 feet.

On my model 4 distance center to center of the pin holes is about 47 inches. Top pin is 5/16" and bottom is 1/4". Two can be easily be made out of one 10 foot stick of conduit.

Of course don't do any bending or drilling until you have the plane then build them to fit it. Use a piece of rubber belting or something like that between the flattened end and the bottom of the spar.

HansLab
10-15-2013, 10:22 AM
I used a tailormade trailer (made by a fine friend - though he ain't no tailor), perhaps you can use the pics:

SkyPirate
10-15-2013, 12:15 PM
nice set up hans ..I like :)

beeryboats
10-15-2013, 04:25 PM
Be careful using a car hauling trailer to transport your Kitfox. It will ride very, very harshly with only a couple hundred pounds on it. Damage can result from this jarring action.

The wing supports, on both ends, are super critical. As is the way the tail is supported to prevent damage to the empanage tubing or the tailwheel spring.

I know, that's why I picked the smallest trailer long enough for the plane. It's not really big enough for a car, more like large lawn mower. It was just large enough to haul an MGB. It's gonna be back roads all the way home as well. Actually smoother than the interstate!

beeryboats
10-17-2013, 05:46 PM
I had the greatest idea for supporting the tail today. Too bad it's not my trailer to modify. I work in a diesel injection pump and turbo shop where we have lot's of old used parts about. I though it would be easy to make support for the tail as TJ did for his trailer in earlier pictures, but mount it on some springs. The vertical mounts would be screwed to a 2x6 that had four 5/16" holes in the corners. Use 1/4" lag bolts about 8" long through the 2x6, washers, springs, washers, then into the trailer deck. I would think springs that bottomed out at 50 to 75lbs times four would help take a bunch of road shock out of any trailer.

I'm just renting the trailer this trip. So I will just have to drive very slowly and carefully and be very, very patient.

SkyPirate
10-17-2013, 05:55 PM
if its a tandem axle trailer and has car tires on it you could deflate the tires to 28 lbs,..if it has regular trailer tires deflate to 30 lbs,,.

beeryboats
10-17-2013, 06:21 PM
if its a tandem axle trailer and has car tires on it you could deflate the tires to 28 lbs,..if it has regular trailer tires deflate to 30 lbs,,.

Why didn't I think of that?!?!? I have a zero turn mower with very little air pressure in the tires just because it will beat you to death otherwise. I'll air the trailer tires down a bit and see how she rides. My sailboat, which I sold to buy the Kitfox, would go to the lake with very, very low pressures in the tires. Close to 20lbs. A couple were so rotted I was afraid to pump them up much higher. They handled a 3000lb boat just fine.

beeryboats
10-20-2013, 04:27 PM
We made it home ok, but what a fiasco! The trailer I rented was 3" too narrow. We didn't see that until the plane was on the ramps. The rental place didn't know the dimension of their own trailer. My friend who was there to give me a second opinion lived nearby and had a neat trailer I could borrow, so we went to his place and picked up his trailer with his truck. His truck went into limp mode on the way back to the plane but we loaded the plane up anyway. Then we had to go back to his place and play musical trailers. He was planning on following me and trade trailers at my place. I got her home ok last night, but I had to go back this morning to trade out trailers again! Seems like all I did was drive this weekend. But it was worth it for sure!!! She sure looks good sitting in my barn.

SkyPirate
10-20-2013, 05:18 PM
we need photos :) including "kitfox Grin"

SkyPirate
10-20-2013, 05:28 PM
I thought about trailering my 5 home from south of Chicago,..but then opted to fly her home ..glad I did,..only took 2.15 hrs to fly her home..would have been 7 hours up and 7 hours back driving

beeryboats
10-21-2013, 05:29 PM
Well, I tried to attach a couple photos, but the limit is so small it's almost impossible to see! What's the secret?
Jay

beeryboats
10-21-2013, 05:38 PM
Almost ready to go. I still had to make the wing supports.

beeryboats
10-21-2013, 05:55 PM
Ready to go!