PDA

View Full Version : Model 4 wings on model 1???

fusionfab
09-29-2013, 11:42 AM
Hey everyone,
I am building a model one however applying the mods to convert to model 3 with the cabin width. I was speaking to murle Williams and he suggested after I did that I'd be better off building the 4 wings. Now I have all the ribs, and new spars but only the plans for building the model 1 wings.

So I'm wondering if there's such drawings out there for the 4 wings?

I'll be fabricating the 1" dia struts instead of the model one 3/4" struts and I've already sleeved and plug welded the upper and lower cross tube as suggested by murle. I'll be contacting kitfox regarding the spar insert I beams and leading edge.
Thanks

Dave F
09-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Rest of plane is still lighter on almost everything.

mod 4 wing will give you more speed with leading edge as on a 4
you will need a mod 4 flapperon but unless you change the mixer it will still be the same with no differential and I sure you could make it work but WHY ?

I have raven wing plans - and I think that about the same as a mod 1

I have a raven here as well.

fusionfab
09-29-2013, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the reply Dave, I'm still hoping to head up your way and take a look at the birds.
The raven wing plans is what i have also. From what I understand, the model 4 wing performs better? And considering I still have the wings to build I would just do the model 4. Or is it not necessary?
I've done the mods suggested by murle that present in the model 3's. But still have the struts to do. Also I was hoping to eliminate the dash tank and tig up the wing tanks.

fusionfab
10-01-2013, 05:41 AM
Do the earlier model wings provide more lift?

desertfox1
10-01-2013, 06:37 AM
The early wings have high lift airfoils. Watching Denney do those
shortfield takeoffs and crazy climbouts in 1985 is how I got hooked
on the Kitfox. The model 4 airfoil would allow you to exceed vne
for the model 1 quite easily. Murle used the early wings and added
the pvc leading edge on his model 3, seemed to work well. As Dave
said the tubing and bracing in the model 1 is very light, be careful
of speeds and loading.

Phil

fusionfab
10-01-2013, 07:44 AM
Ok thanks Phil
With the difference in lift I think I'll just stick to the earlier model wings. Thanks for the help guys