PDA

View Full Version : Smooth Cowling

IcepickMr
09-12-2013, 10:02 AM
Can anyone tell me what parts are needed to change from a bump cowl to smooth cowl on a Model IV-1050 with a 582? Kitfox Aircraft lists the smooth cowl as 2 parts, but what about just aft of the firewall, under the windshield and if front of the doors? Thanks.

Geowitz
09-12-2013, 12:37 PM
I'm not sure the 582 will fit vertically. The thrust lines are the same, but the smooth cowl obviously starts out lower at the front and slopes up to the windshield in one piece. Bottom half is also all one piece. I am guessing that the head of the 582 will get in the way of the top half of the cowling. Top half of the firewall is a different shape as well. It's not a hard switch for a 912, but have never seen one with a 582.

You can see plenty of pics of mine in my albums. Model IV 1200

cubtractor
09-12-2013, 02:16 PM
I switched from the round cowl to a smooth cowl with a Jabiru. Wasn't too big a deal but I agree with Geowitz, you might run in to clearance issues. There are some pics in my photo albums.

IcepickMr
09-12-2013, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the response. By the way, your aircraft are beautiful!

SkyPirate
09-12-2013, 06:12 PM
My model 2 had the 582 bump cowl ansd i had no issues.

SkyPirate
09-12-2013, 06:18 PM
Wishing my
Model 5 had the bump cowl

IcepickMr
09-13-2013, 04:51 AM
So, you changed your Model II to a smooth cowl and you now have a 5 that you would prefer having a bump cowl? Was putting the smooth cowl on the II a difficult fitment? Did you like it on the II, any advantages or disadvantages? Why do want the bump cowl on the 5? Thanks.

SkyPirate
09-13-2013, 08:48 AM
Nostalgic reasons , i kept the bump cowl on the model 2 because to me that is the kitfox trademark, it sets it apart in appearance from other experimentals, you can identify it as a kitfox in a line up of 20 other planes with just the nose sticking out.
Some have argued that the smooth cowl is more efficient, i suppose it is if you could reach speeds where it would make a significant difference,
Some have argued that they can see better taxiing with the smooth cowl, i suppose it is if in tail dragger config. But i'm only taxiing a short distance, the rest of the time im in the air and can see just fine
Knowing that its just a matter of preference, mine is i like the bump cowl better, there is no mistaking it in a crowd :)

At the risk, i'll give this analogy as well :) i prefer blondes with a bump cowl as well, because it's just so dang sexy :)

Dutch
09-13-2013, 09:12 AM
I'm with you Skypirate on both counts!

Dutch

SkySteve
09-13-2013, 09:12 AM
LOL, SkyPirate. I have to agree with both examples!;)