PDA

View Full Version : Which Propeller

GT280flyer
09-07-2013, 06:49 AM
I am Considering replacing my GSC propeller and I am not sure weather to replace it with a two blade or a three blade propeller. Which one would be the best to use for performance and idle vibration. It seems to me that a lighter two blade would work the best for the idle vibration problem that I now have but will I sacrifice performance? Any and all opinions are appreciated.

Regards, Tim
Kitfox lll
3503 Hirth, three blade GSC

SkyPirate
09-07-2013, 06:59 AM
If you have low rpm vibration/chatter, with the wood props if you get a nick in a blade, and it draws moisture it will be out of balance, i see you have a hirth, i know with the rotax reductions, it could be rebuild time on the gear box if you get low rpm vibration/chatter, i dont know about the hirth set up, direct drive or reduction?

WWhunter
09-16-2013, 07:58 AM
On my Rotax 912 (yes, different engine) I went from a two blade Warp to a 3 blade Whirl Wind. There was a big difference in vibrations felt. The Warp felt 'rough' especially at high RPM. Had a very high frequency vibration that made it look like the windshield was not clear. After changing out to the Whirl Wind that vibration went away. The Whirl Wind is NOT cheap. Close to $2,000 complete, ie, backing plate forward. If you have a Warp hub available their blades fit the Warp hub so you could save some money not having to buy everything. It is also a very light prop. I think mine was around 10-11 pounds complete.....this is backing plate forward, hub, blades, spinner, and bolts, a VERY light weight prop. Nice looking also.

SWeidemann
10-05-2013, 09:12 AM
Propeller Guys,

I'm watching propeller chats.

I need a new prop and I'm looking for testimonials about which one to get. My IVO has had a good life but is chewed up and run out, so it's between the Whirlwind, Sensenich, Warp Drive, Kiev or another IVO. I will give a testimonial to the IVO however, since this plane has 1600 + hours on it and the IVO apparently was on it most of that time, that's not too shabby.

I have a 912 ULS on a Vixen and am looking for efficiency, especially at cruise speed. Another personal feature I want is a good looking spinner.

I'm sure there are some opinions and reasons to choose what you have.

Thanks much, Skot

Vixen 912ULS
N24V

Av8r3400
10-05-2013, 10:15 AM
If it ain't broke don't fix it. You know the performance of the IVO and you are set up for it, why change to something different now?

Dick B in KY
10-05-2013, 10:21 AM
I purchased a Whirlwind ground adjustable 70" dia. for my SS with 912 ULS. So far it is efficient, smooth running and working fine. Also purchased from Whirlwind a 9.75" composite spinner assy. It is also working great and runs very true.

Dick B

DesertFox4
10-05-2013, 06:34 PM
I'm with Av8r3400- the Ivo works great on your Kitfox Skot. You can keep the same hub and just buy matched blades from Ivo. Cheaper route to go.
Your Vixen performs real good with the Ivo. I've flown it a few times here in Phoenix , all on warm days.

The Whirlwind is a nice looking prop and does just fine in the flatter States. I found it to be a little lacking at altitudes above 9,000 feet on a warmer day with a good load on board and about 7 to 8 mph slower than the Ivo on the 912uls. Throw the 914 behind it and it does really well upstairs.;)

SkySteve
10-05-2013, 06:44 PM
I have a Warp Drive. It's a very strong prop. Mine has stains on it from chopping alfalfa and sage brush ;) and it just keeps going. However it is a little heavier than the IVO and if I were to change props I think I would very much consider the IVO. It seems those who have them won't change to anything else. That's a pretty good referral.

SkyPirate
10-05-2013, 07:51 PM
My model 2 had and my
Model 5 has the tappered tip warp, i have never had a problem with the warps yet, i have a 3 blade and a 2 blade GCS they both pull real good , both the warp and GCS have " snap" meaning when you go full throttle they will set you back in your seat, my experience with the ivo light was on a 503, i didnt like the lack of "snap" but at cruise it was very smooth, to me though it just didnt pull like the others i've used, i haven't flown a medium ivo yet

SWeidemann
10-09-2013, 06:22 AM
Desert Fox

I've taken your comment as a testimonial and ordered three new blades. We determined they are the UL Model Patriot. Quite inexpensive too.

Skot

I'm with Av8r3400- the Ivo works great on your Kitfox Skot. You can keep the same hub and just buy matched blades from Ivo. Cheaper route to go.
Your Vixen performs real good with the Ivo. I've flown it a few times here in Phoenix , ;)