PDA

View Full Version : Subaru EA81 Engines

dalords
08-29-2013, 08:02 AM
Anyone hear of anybody putting a Subaru EA81 engine on a model 1 or 2. can it be done? Any info on that engine would be great. like where to get a motor mount or the reduction gear box to put the prop on.

Mnflyer
08-29-2013, 10:17 AM
That engine is way to heavy for a Model I - II - III and a 4, do a search there has been many discussions about the engine.

Av8r3400
08-29-2013, 06:21 PM
One way it might work is by doing what Avid did, extending the empanage 12-16". Basically a full redesign of the fuselage.

This would be a big, highly technical job full of unknowns. :eek:

wannafly
08-29-2013, 08:07 PM
Save yourself money, headaches, and performance. Had one on my kitfox IV and all the above were part of the equation. Some times more money for the right engine is worth it. Subaru and kitfox are not a match. I my opinion.

t j
08-30-2013, 06:40 AM
In 1994 I toured the old Skystar Kitfox factory. The guy showing me around showed me a Model 4...I think...with a Subaru engine. He said the airframe was just a ground test bed and it was a test never intended to fly, just determine if the engine was compatible with a kitfox...something like that anyhow.

Then a year later in 1995 I flew into Kamiah Idaho. There was an Avid flyer with a Subaru engine parked on the field. It looked like it was newly constructed and finished in polyspray, I think. The data plate had an Alaska address. I assumed it must have flown there from Alaska?

Anyone know anything about either of these airplanes?

rogerh12
08-30-2013, 01:44 PM
When you say EA-81, you need to narrow it down a bit more. That engine can be used as a direct drive, or a geared drive. The geared drive is heavier, but a better idea mechanically, for an airplane that can handle the weight.

I think if you find a good used EA-81 direct drive cheap ($1,500 bucks or so), and use a light weight wood prop, combined with shifting the accessories back closer to the firewall, you could have a "usable" model-4-1200 that would be cheap to build, fly and maintain. Really, it depends on what you intend to do with it and how you intend to fly it.

Keep in mind, Rotax 582's come up all the time on the internet (often cheap) and might meet your needs better (and weight like 100 lbs less). Plus, you have other example planes to draw info from.
Hope this helps
Roger