PDA

View Full Version : Shock cords

kitfox5v
08-25-2013, 11:54 AM
Can anyone tell me how many wraps the shock cords should have on a model 4 speedster. I puchased one recently to hold me over until I finish my 5. It has 4 wraps on it now and is too loose on the taxi test I have done and i'm afraid to try to land it with that much loose motion in the gear. Thanks Eddie:confused: Trying to locate the build manual but have not as of yet.

Geowitz
08-25-2013, 12:22 PM
My manual shows 6 wraps, but I've never confirmed this since I got the grove. Dave F has a pretty good video here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_kEZnXDgYM

Dave F
08-25-2013, 05:28 PM
My manual shows 6 wraps, but I've never confirmed this since I got the grove. Dave F has a pretty good video here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_kEZnXDgYM

Just counted -- under 3 minutes each side to wrap those bungees .

no fancy tools needed.

I have seen MANY give up on bungees - heck you outta try some real heavy bungees these Kitfox have are a breeze if you use your head.

and I read some that warn against safety cables...................

Well think about it -- If you are landing that frigging hard that you are gonna stretch your bungees a full 3 to 4 " to take up the slack in the cables you already hit with about 5 g's !!!
Then you got enough inertia to further hit har enough that you bend the fuselage ? WOW that like a stall from fifty feet or more . What the heck.

GO read Matronics -in the last week or two the know it alls already got this covered LOL

GT280flyer
08-25-2013, 05:53 PM
Eddie, Geowitz is right six wraps, five loops on top six loops on bottom. I used the method Dave uses in his video holding with a hammer handle and it worked great when I replaced mine. Make sure you have a helper they are very strong near the final wraps. Good luck.

kitfox5v
08-25-2013, 07:53 PM
Thanks guys. that helps alot. Dave i agreeabout the safety cable. Hows it going Tim. still workin on buses? George, What about pictures of that baby boy? Thanks again Eddie:)