PDA

View Full Version : Radio Bleedover

cubtractor
08-18-2013, 09:44 AM
Looking for some advice. I am using an Icom A5 transceiver mounted on the panel. It has the ni-cad batter installed as well as connected to the ships power. It is connected to a Comant CI-122 antenna via RG400 cable. It also runs through a Sigtronics SPO-22N intercom. When I am in the vicinity of broadcast radio antennas or at a lower altitude over a city with broadcast antennas, I get a constant, fairly loud garbeled bleedover from their broadcast. Adjusting squelch doesn't help much. I can still transmit and receive ATC ok as it blanks out the bleedover. I'm curious if it's just a handheld transceiver issue? I've been looking at installing one of the smaller radios, ie;Becker, Microair, MGL, etc.

Anyone have any ideas?

Av8r_Sed
08-18-2013, 10:21 AM
More than likely it's not the radio or your antenna. It's probably on the headphone side of things. Any intercom, or are you plugged into an Icom headset adapter?

cubtractor
08-18-2013, 10:28 AM
Yes. It has the Icom headset adapter then through a Sigtronics SPO-22N intercom.

Av8r_Sed
08-18-2013, 06:05 PM
Can you temporarily just fly with the headset plugged into the adapter to bypass the intercom and see if you get the same issue. I'm guessing something may be amiss with your intercom wiring. Grounds and sheilding issues usually top the list

cubtractor
08-18-2013, 06:27 PM
I'm going to try that week after next. I have a trip this week and will be gone awhile. My flying for a living is interfering with my Kitfox flying. Lol

Seems to be coming through from the headsets. It's not near as bad when I disconnect the co pilots headset. I wonder if an external ground to the intercom box would help.