PDA

View Full Version : new member cracked his windshield

prolab4
05-01-2009, 09:23 PM
I was very glad to find this forum and pleased to sign on. I cracked my windscreen and Debra asked if I want acrylic or lexan, formed or flat. I know nothing of the differences and ask your advice.

I did however read a thread about using fasteners other than rivets

I have a 3 model with a 912, tundra tires and patrol doors (which I'd like to replace with bubble doors although Debra doesn't list them)

I can only wish I could have made a few of the gatherings at Cameron Park

I'm based in Sacramento Ca

jrthomas
05-02-2009, 08:44 AM
I just received a new acrylic windshield from JP industries.It's premolded and cut and is a huge upgrade.The lexan windshield that came with my kit is only a flat sheet of lexan marked for cutout with a magic marker.You can buy a sheet of lexan locally and save shipping costs.I never used mine but the added cost of shipping to you probably would not be worth the effort.The preformed acrylic is the way to go if you don't mind the extra cost.If we had money,we'd just buy factory built.

SkyPirate
05-02-2009, 11:02 AM
I have heard that lexan now makes an "X-10" product that is supposed to be scratch resistant even more so the the original lexan ..you can also get it smoked or tinited,..if you have a current lexan wind shield ..you can take it off your craft,..lay it on top of a blank sheet of lexan .. take some fast drying paint and spray the edges of your old shield to put it's silohuette onto the protective cover of the new lexan .. ..give yourself at least a plus1/16h of an inch over all on your cut when you cut the new one ..after you funish the cut take some 180 grit sand paper and sand the complete edges of the new windhshield..then re-do this with some 1500 grit,..what this does is it reduces any chance of the windshield cracking again,..just like if you see a crack starting ..take a small drill bit and drill the end of the crack ..it should not travel any further then the point drilled,..and put clear epoxy into the drill hole after just to make it water tight,..

Do not drill the holes for re install until you fit the new windshield,..trust me ..it will not fit proper,..when you re-install,..if you had removed your uuper rear cowl panel,..replace it before re install..place your new windshield between your upper rear cowl and your instrument panel upper dash,..take a towel..and roll it length ways and push it from the inside toward the upper rear cowl against the new windshield,..this will insure a tight fit to keep the weather out,.. use some squeeze clamps to hold your windshield in place to prefit,..once your sure it fits well,.start at your wing root on each side and stagger your re connect from side to side ..drill one side ..rivet it ..drill the other side ..rivet it ..until your front is completed..then re check your fit over the top of the fuselage,..do the same with the staggering your drilling from side to side from front to rear,..because the wing root area of the winshield is the least flexible once it's in place..this is the best place to start your re install,..once your done ..remove the protective film from the lexan ..job is done ..go flying :)
If you want to get fancy..after you have transfered the sillohuette of your old wind shield to your new ..on the inside ..scribe a line 1 inch from the edge all the way around the windshield ..remove the protective film on that one inch area leaving the rest until completion..prep the lexan for paint..paint it the color of your choice..,..all of this is of course after sanding the edges,..once it's dry ..do the install..now you have a border on the winshiled to cover any wires or what ever you had running along the fuselage tubes that were visible before,..

avidflyer
05-02-2009, 11:53 AM
I've replaced three lexan windshields on three different Avid Flyers and used the old windshield as the pattern. I clamped them togeather so they couldn't move and drilled all the mounting holes also. Had no problem with the fit or hole locations. The last one I did had to have at least 60 holes and they all lined up. I did have the preformed plexiglass winshield for the unfinished Kitfox 4 kit I bought, what a waste of money, when I went to fit it on the plane it cracked near the wing root. It had sat in the box for about 13 years so it was kind of old. Good thing it came with the kit, I would have been real disapointed if I had bought it myself. I used the .090" lexan that came from Kitfox when the kit was bought with no problem. Take care, Jim Chuk Avids, Kitfox 4 Mn

lbushrod
05-03-2009, 03:08 PM
I was happy with my pre-formed tinted windscreen. I did not have to do much trimming and it fit well. It was expensive mostly because of shipping such a big box.

It is thicker and does not flex at higher speeds. I think the same piece fits the model 2 and 3.

My top engine cowl fit closely and this forum has some tips improving the installation. I put a strip of half-round rubber weather stripping along the radius of the cowl to act as a gutter in the rain. Works well.

I live in Paradise, about 80 miles north of you and fly a Jabiru model 2. Just starting to explore destinations in norther California.

Good luck with your project and welcome to the community.

Pete

SkyPirate
05-03-2009, 03:35 PM
I have always used the 1/8" lexan when replacing the windshields in my kitfox and my race car..its a little harder to work with for cutting tight radius like around the root tub ..a hole saw works well for that..but ..it being stiffer then then the original kitfox lexan,..I have never had it cave in on me,..I have not used the new X-10 lexan yet,..but I will on my next project.

Slyfox
05-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Ya, but if you have the 912uls and the medium IVO. at about 120+mph, the lexan pushes in at center and kind of pulsates. Kind of nerving to me. I still have more to go. I'll probably do the preformed windscreen here shortely.

SkyPirate
05-03-2009, 07:19 PM
possibly an attach point below the instrument panel on the arch of the windshield ?,..if I remember right there isn't one from post to post on the bottom of the shield.

jdmcbean
05-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Steve,
Give us a call when your ready..