PDA

View Full Version : Nose gear axel

MIKE
07-29-2013, 06:23 PM
Anyone have any suggestions for how to fit the nose gear axel into nose wheel and nose wheel bearings ? By my measurements there is only about 2/1000 difference between the outside diameter of the axel and inside diameter of the bearings.

SkyPirate
07-29-2013, 06:49 PM
Freeze the axle :)

Dave F
07-30-2013, 02:04 AM
Anyone have any suggestions for how to fit the nose gear axel into nose wheel and nose wheel bearings ? By my measurements there is only about 2/1000 difference between the outside diameter of the axel and inside diameter of the bearings.

2 thou is alot to go unless you got liquid Nitrogen on hand.
dry ice might do it -
I would put in lathe and polish it down a bit

mr bill
07-30-2013, 06:45 AM
.002 is a lot of preload on the inner race of a bearing. As little as .0002 will be adequate for a sweat fit. Being that the bearings are held in place with spacers, a sliding fit (.001/.002 clearance) of the bearings on the axel would be more appropriate. You will need a lathe to remove that much material.

Dave S
07-30-2013, 10:02 AM
When I mounted my nose wheel I recall the axel sliding right into the the bearings. There was no play but it slid right in. Knowing some of the stuff I drag my gear through:o, I also made sure there was a thin coating of grease on the axel, bearings bores and spacers. I may want to get the thing apart some day for repairs of some sort or a tire change.

I am estimating that the 2/1000" interference fit you are seeing is simply a confluence of circumstances regarding the manufacturing variation a person might see on the components. I'd go for a snug, but not an interference fit by working the axel down.
Cracking the bearing inner race or damaging the bearing is not beyond possibilities if forcing a significant interference fit on a small bearing like this.

Sincerely,

Dave S
KF7 Trigear
912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Dorsal
08-03-2013, 05:12 PM
I have needed to pull my nose axel twice in the last few months and will again next week (wheel pant issues). It is a tight fit but fairly easily tapped out.