PDA

View Full Version : Best prop for KF 7 with an 0-200

glenbo66
07-29-2013, 04:35 PM
Any thoughts on best ground adjustable prop for a model 7 with an o-200?
What prop comes stock on the SLSA?

Thanks
Glen

chipmunk
08-06-2013, 08:09 PM
N117km ss7 with 0200 built by advanced aviation using Sensenich 2EK-c72AE-o great performance

MotReklaw
08-08-2013, 08:53 AM
I have a Warp 3-blade prop for my O200. Haven't installed it yet.

n85ae
08-08-2013, 09:15 AM
Interesting, they pulled that prop from IO-240 use with cracking problems.
Not sure about the O-200 though.

jtpitkin06
08-21-2013, 02:33 PM
Ok Glen,

I read the answers but I'm still not sure about best prop for what?
Best for climb, takeoff, cruise, noise, looks, bling, price, vibration, fuel economy or what?

The best for price is a fixed pitch prop that came off a C-150. It should haul the Kitfox around quite nicely. Everything else is a tradeoff of climb vs cruise, some more efficient than others.

The truth is you just need to slap a prop on the airframe and try it out to see how it works for you. What works for someone at sea level on a cool day won't be the same for a guy in Phoenix on a hot day.

Someone might tell you that a "Wombat 3000" prop is the best. The part you don't know is how the other guy runs his O-200. He might be happy running at 2700 rpm in cruise where you might be nervous above 2500. There is no simple answer in experimental aviation.

You are in luck that the O-200 uses an SAE-1 hub so there are lots of used props available.

If it were my plane I'd start with the 150 prop and go from there. You can often get a loaner and try it out.

MotReklaw
08-22-2013, 12:22 PM
"
...You are in luck that the O-200 uses an SAE-1 hub so there are lots of used props available. ..."

I believe the O200 will require a hub extension to work on the KF.

glenbo66
09-30-2013, 08:48 AM
Thank you all for the info. It is most helpful. The airplane is currently flying with a Props Inc. fixed pitch, wooden prop that is a climb cruise compromise. I live between sea level and about 1500' MSL (Pacific North West). looking for a prop I can adjust for short field and back country flying ans well as cruising to go visit family etc.

I recently heard about a rumored problem with the o-200 and very light weight props causing issues with the magneto drive gear train. I haven't contacted Continental yet but am curious if anyone has heard of anything like this?
Thanks again

MotReklaw
09-30-2013, 03:43 PM
I would be interested in what you find out.... Please let us know....

airlina
09-30-2013, 04:36 PM
I have the continental IO-240 on my Series 5 which is just a step up from the O-200, and I run a 11 lb Sensenich wood prop. Have had no Magneto issues with this setup in 650 hrs.

kitfoxJeff
02-11-2017, 08:59 PM
I just bought a KF-5 and need a new prop, it has the Continental IO-240 125 hp and I am wondering if anyone would share some info with me, what might be my best choice,

What was on there was a Sensenich wood prop 74.

I have heard many stories of props cracking with this engine for some strange reason, some kind of harmonics? or vibration noise?

I'm in Long Island NY, and I do not have any local KF friends so, would be nice to meet anyone else locally flying a KF, this is my third. Love the foxes,.

airlina
02-12-2017, 06:31 AM
Hi Jeff , welcome to the IO-240 minority. here is a copy of a response I recently sent to a new IO-240 powered owner: There are a few of us out here that love this aircraft/engine combo. I finished my Series 5 Outback back in 2003 and can't believe that I have been flying it for 13 years already. The IO-240 has been bulletproof in the 750 hours I have flown it so far. As far as my prop history goes , I started with a warp drive (Skystar recommended prop) never got installed as it was found not to hold up to the IO-240 power pulses and developed cracks. That prop was sent back and I bought a Sensenich W74EK-2-58. this is a 72 inch dia. prop (thats what the -2 means-2" cut off from the 74 " prop at the factory) This prop only only developed about 2200-2250 static rpm at full power on takeoff. I called Sensenich and they recommended trimming the prop , so I got up some nerve and took a saw to the blade and trimmed 3/4" from each end-it got static rpm to 2300-2350 and helped takeoff perf and is my most of the time prop. I was very careful and used a fine furniture builders hand saw to make the cut , then sanded the tips to the same profile they were before and added some epoxy varnish to the cut areas. i did not rebalance in any way with no noticeable vibration change. Jeff hays , another I0-240 guy on the list had the same prop and did the same thing to his. My takeoff distance solo from grass is around 350' and I cruise at 115 to 120 mph at 2400-2500 rpm variable with alt and temp. I live in snow country in western NY so I fly on skiis in the winter and needed a good up and out prop for winter ops so I bought another Sensenich prop which is my climb prop. it is designated W74EK-54 and is a true 74 inch dia. With this prop , my static RPM is 2400-2450 RPM and is a good climb prop. Cruise speed will suffer by 5-10mph with this prop which isn't a problem since I stay close to home in the winter anyway. As far as recommended torque values go, Sensenich says for AN6 bolts (3/8'') 200 +/- 25 inch-lbs and thats what I use. Like you I have always wondered about other props like a Catto or whirlwind, but at what they cost, I need to know exact specs from someone operating an IO-240 with those props to see if there would be a significant perf increase. There is a guy Phil on the list who recently completed a Series 5 with an IO-240 who is using a Catto prop but I haven't gotten enough specific data from him to make the buy. I would lean toward the Catto as guys seem to love them. It would mean no more seasonal retorques and flying in rain wouldn't erode the prop -which are 2 of my wood prop complaints. Can you tell me the history of your vixen, I thought I knew of all the IO-240 guys out there but didn't recognize your handle when I saw your post on the list. Any help you need don't hesitate to holler. I still really enjoy my airplane after all these years and know I built the right one for me. see ya later Bruce N199CL

n85ae
02-12-2017, 09:57 PM
Hi -

I use the W74EK-54 from Sensenich, and went through the same props Bruce
did prior to this prop. I think I am the first one using the 74, as it resulted from
a conversation with Sensenich about the original 72", which we cut back to 70.5-71".
I marked mine with a Sharpie and used a belt sander to remove
material to the line.

With the 74" prop in my plane, I can hit VNE in level flight, and don't feel that
in my plane there was any loss of cruise speed. Everybody get's a little
different results it seems.

I'm with Bruce on the rain issue. I fly in the rain, and I prefer flying on grey
dreary days to bright sunny days, so having a prop that I don't have to
worry about being eaten would be nice.

Regards,
Jeff Hays

kitfoxJeff
02-12-2017, 10:37 PM
Hi Jeff , welcome to the IO-240 minority. here is a copy of a response I recently sent to a new IO-240 powered owner: There are a few of us out here that love this aircraft/engine combo. I finished my Series 5 Outback back in 2003 and can't believe that I have been flying it for 13 years already. The IO-240 has been bulletproof in the 750 hours I have flown it so far. As far as my prop history goes , I started with a warp drive (Skystar recommended prop) never got installed as it was found not to hold up to the IO-240 power pulses and developed cracks. That prop was sent back and I bought a Sensenich W74EK-2-58. this is a 72 inch dia. prop (thats what the -2 means-2" cut off from the 74 " prop at the factory) This prop only only developed about 2200-2250 static rpm at full power on takeoff. I called Sensenich and they recommended trimming the prop , so I got up some nerve and took a saw to the blade and trimmed 3/4" from each end-it got static rpm to 2300-2350 and helped takeoff perf and is my most of the time prop. I was very careful and used a fine furniture builders hand saw to make the cut , then sanded the tips to the same profile they were before and added some epoxy varnish to the cut areas. i did not rebalance in any way with no noticeable vibration change. Jeff hays , another I0-240 guy on the list had the same prop and did the same thing to his. My takeoff distance solo from grass is around 350' and I cruise at 115 to 120 mph at 2400-2500 rpm variable with alt and temp. I live in snow country in western NY so I fly on skiis in the winter and needed a good up and out prop for winter ops so I bought another Sensenich prop which is my climb prop. it is designated W74EK-54 and is a true 74 inch dia. With this prop , my static RPM is 2400-2450 RPM and is a good climb prop. Cruise speed will suffer by 5-10mph with this prop which isn't a problem since I stay close to home in the winter anyway. As far as recommended torque values go, Sensenich says for AN6 bolts (3/8'') 200 +/- 25 inch-lbs and thats what I use. Like you I have always wondered about other props like a Catto or whirlwind, but at what they cost, I need to know exact specs from someone operating an IO-240 with those props to see if there would be a significant perf increase. There is a guy Phil on the list who recently completed a Series 5 with an IO-240 who is using a Catto prop but I haven't gotten enough specific data from him to make the buy. I would lean toward the Catto as guys seem to love them. It would mean no more seasonal retorques and flying in rain wouldn't erode the prop -which are 2 of my wood prop complaints. Can you tell me the history of your vixen, I thought I knew of all the IO-240 guys out there but didn't recognize your handle when I saw your post on the list. Any help you need don't hesitate to holler. I still really enjoy my airplane after all these years and know I built the right one for me. see ya later Bruce N199CL

Wow, thanks for that great info,... I printed that out.
I bought it from a guy named Paul Stropki and it was in Dalton Ohio, and I bought it as a crashed plane about a month ago, I fell in love with it, so I sold my kf3 in 5 days and went and got this one. It is meticulously built, beautiful craftsmanship, flying since 2002 always hangered and babied , Has skiis too, The damage was minor in my opinion, but enough to make it totaled, un-rebuildable, as they said. A right wing strut was the major damage, hit a chain link fence on roll out, at idle, I need a prop, some small fabric repairs, and I need to add some re-enforcement to the wing root, tubing, still making decisions on that, and trying to calculate some forces. I am in love with the plane, I need about two to three more full days of work on the details. Then just a paperwork process. This is my third kf but the nicest set up by far, engine looks like brand new, not a spec of dust or oil anywhere, it has about 650 hours, but looks new, new new,.. love it,.. really look forward to this. My kf 3 I never went more than 60 mph with, and never traveled more than 70 miles away with the rotax 670 2 stroker. I also have a Cessna 172, but hope to use this new kf5 a lot more than the Cessna, affordable, and more fun to fly, as well as cooler looking, tundra tires seem to be about 22 inches tall. Nice size tail wheel too. I do not know how to share a photo on this site or if it is even possible. Keep in touch.

avidflyer
02-13-2017, 07:54 AM
If you want to post pictures, (which we would all like to see) when you type your message, look down lower on the page in the additional options section, and you will see a little box that says 'manage attachments'. Click that button. Another page will open with a browse attachments button on it. Click this button and find the picture you are looking for in your computer. Upload the picture, and then close that page. The picture should then be attached to your reply. Give it a try with pictures of your new bird! :-) JImChuk

airlina
02-13-2017, 01:22 PM
Wow, thanks for that great info,... I printed that out.
I bought it from a guy named Paul Stropki and it was in Dalton Ohio, and I bought it as a crashed plane about a month ago, I fell in love with it, so I sold my kf3 in 5 days and went and got this one. It is meticulously built, beautiful craftsmanship, flying since 2002 always hangered and babied , Has skiis too, The damage was minor in my opinion, but enough to make it totaled, un-rebuildable, as they said. A right wing strut was the major damage, hit a chain link fence on roll out, at idle, I need a prop, some small fabric repairs, and I need to add some re-enforcement to the wing root, tubing, still making decisions on that, and trying to calculate some forces. I am in love with the plane, I need about two to three more full days of work on the details. Then just a paperwork process. This is my third kf but the nicest set up by far, engine looks like brand new, not a spec of dust or oil anywhere, it has about 650 hours, but looks new, new new,.. love it,.. really look forward to this. My kf 3 I never went more than 60 mph with, and never traveled more than 70 miles away with the rotax 670 2 stroker. I also have a Cessna 172, but hope to use this new kf5 a lot more than the Cessna, affordable, and more fun to fly, as well as cooler looking, tundra tires seem to be about 22 inches tall. Nice size tail wheel too. I do not know how to share a photo on this site or if it is even possible. Keep in touch.

Those of us with the IO-240 on our kitfoxes are a small community, and I was wondering whose airplane you bought. I was a bit saddened to hear that it was Paul's and it had been damaged and hope no one was hurt. Back in '03 I was just finishing my Series 5 Outback and 2 guys were kind enough to give me a ride in their recently completed IO-240 powered planes. On the way home from OSH I stopped in the Chicago area and Jeff Hays gave me a great intro flight in his sweet Series 5, then it was on to Ohio, where Paul did the same for me in his beautiful airplane. Glad to hear it is rebuildable , because as you mentioned, Paul did a great job on the plane and is a meticulous builder. With those demo flights under my belt I got home and got up the nerve to do my 1st flight the next week. Been having fun in 199CL ever since. Good luck getting her airborne again. Bruce N199CL