PDA

View Full Version : Brake pedals

Roddy
07-22-2013, 05:26 AM
I have a Kitfox Model I from 1988. My flight instructor and I took it up for the first time on Sunday and while it flew pretty good I can't get on the brakes quick for the life of me. The toe brakes are just too close to the rudder bars and I can't really tell which one my toe is pushing. I have done most of my flying in a 182 and am used to the heels on the floor technique but I don't have the room for that in my tiny cockpit.

Is there a technique or modification that can make these brakes easier to use? I don't know if they changed the brakes in later models but mine has a small metal bar for the rudder with a smaller bar for the brakes less than two inches above that.

SkySteve
07-22-2013, 05:38 AM
Roddy,
My A&P did some modifications to my model I brake peddles to make it easier, and those changes made it much easier. I'll try to take some photos for you later today.

dholly
07-22-2013, 06:17 AM
Absent any pedal modifications, try flying in stocking feet or thin slippers.

Roddy
07-22-2013, 06:57 AM
Pictures would be great Steve. Were the modifications difficult?

Dholly I'm wearing worn in running shoes right now. I might look for something thinner.

t j
07-22-2013, 08:03 AM
It took a while for me to be able to tell where my feet are and when they are on the brakes and not too far up or I catch the toe of my shoe on the fuselage tubing and can't tell it from the brake.

I try not to need to use brakes for a short landing and try not to use them at all except for the run up. My kitfox is bare bones so the mnemonic for my landing checklist is FFFF.

Fuel showing in the nose tank
Flaps- a little for wheel landing none for 3 point
Fifty miles per hour on final
Feet off the brakes

Peteohms
07-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Roddy, I have the same problem. After putting 600 hours in my Model 3, I wish it was easier. Being 68 years old and having learned a few things in life, every time I think of something to change around the house or on my plane I take a nap and forget it ;-).

That being said, TJ, my check list is simple:

Takeoff Checklist.

Takeoff

Landing Checklist.

Land

Of course my wife says I'm a smart ass.

Roddy
07-22-2013, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the advice. My first Kitfox rollout was a bit awkward. Taxiing from the tie down line I did almost a 180 instead of a 90 turn onto the taxiway. Then at the next intersection I almost rolled into the ditch. I was having trouble getting it back onto the taxiway but then suddenly I got really good control and the plane straightened right out. I looked out the turtle deck and saw my mechanic had moved the tail for me.

I guess I will keep practicing. I'm mainly worried about hitting one brake on landing by accident and ground looping. My instructor thinks I should do a few more hours in his Bushmaster because he figures the Kitfox's narrow gear may make it more difficult to master. The Bushmaster has no pedal brakes only a hand brake so ground maneuvering skills don't carry over 100%.

Esser
07-22-2013, 05:11 PM
Where are you flying out of Roddy?

Roddy
07-22-2013, 06:04 PM
I'm training at Westlock right now. I would prefer somewhere closer but Dan at Snowbird Aviation serviced my plane and has the only tail wheel training around.

Esser
07-22-2013, 07:04 PM
Wow, that's a hike. Villeneuve has Citabria training but I get why you would want to use your guy. When you are all checked out you'll have to take me for a ride some time haha.

Av8r3400
07-22-2013, 07:04 PM
If you have the Maul tailwheel, I would highly, highly recommend taking off the unlocking cam, so that the wheel does not go into full swivel mode.

At least for the first 100 hours or so of your Kitfox career.

ackselle
07-23-2013, 05:29 AM
Roddy..... Keep practicing....you'll get it with time.

About 3 years ago, I bought my Kitfox after many years of yearning for one. I had zero hours tail wheel time.... All my time was on Cessnas and our Cirrus SR22. My son was a Flight Instructor at the time, and the insurance company needed 10 hours of instruction before I was insured on my own. After 12 hours, I actually thought I would never get it!

We have our own farm strip, and on Fathers Day, 2010, my son took me up for almost 3 hours of circuits on our own strip.... I'm guessing we did 40-50 touch and goes.....I got it! Then I spent the next few months making sure each flight included about 10 or so touch and goes. Today, I feel like I'm wearing the plane when I take it out (2-3 times a week).

About a year after I bought the plane, I changed to Grove gear from the original Kitfox bungee gear, which made a big difference.....then, this last winter I changed to 29" Airstreaks and better Grove wheels and brakes..... Which made an even bigger difference..... But the game changer was the practice! I still enjoy doing circuits.... Practicing various techniques, crosswinds, short field, wheel landings....keeping the tail up all the way to "stop"!

There is no shortcut for experience. keep at it!

Cheers,
Ackselle

SkySteve
07-29-2013, 03:30 PM
Roddy,
My A&P added one inch. It made a huge difference for me. Allowed me to get my feet on the brakes when needed and increased the pressure I could assert. I can also tap them lightly and get the plane to turn nicely.