PDA

View Full Version : Elevator and rudder bushings

Jblanton
07-19-2013, 07:44 AM
Hi everyone! My name is jeff. I just purchased an unstarted model 2 kit a few weeks back. I have not been able to locate the elevator or rudder hinge bushings. What are they supposed to be made out of?

Jeff

Av8r_Sed
07-19-2013, 08:25 AM
It's basically Nylon Polyflow tubing with an OD to friction fit the tubing rings. You then ream the ID to match the diameter of the clevis pins.

Av8r_Sed
07-19-2013, 08:26 AM
By the way, welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of helpful info here. Good luck on your build. Just remember to do something every day.

Jblanton
07-19-2013, 09:05 AM
Thanks, I actually know where that tube is! I think I have everything, but most of the stuff was taken out of the boxes and put into file cabinets. I spend more time finding all the parts, than installing them.

Jeff

rogerh12
07-26-2013, 09:45 PM
To make the plastic bushings fit easier, try putting them in the freezer for an hour or so before fitting !!!
Roger

egp8111
07-27-2013, 05:32 AM
It can be a challenge to get them in. I ended up putting the hinge pins in the bushings to support them while you tapped them into the hinges helped. Putting them in the freezer is a good idea too. It's a tight fit no matter what Try not to have small children or your Preacher within earshot while you are doing it ! EG

jtpitkin06
07-27-2013, 07:33 AM
Chamfer the bushing to aid installation. Use a bolt, nut and washers. Simply tighten the assembly and it will press the bushing in with ease. The bolt will prevent deforming the inside of the bushing. Ream the bushing to finish.

John

Tip: install all bushings before you ream them. Buy a 30 inch long drill bit to use as a line boring tool and reamer. Home Depot sells them in the electrical section. The long bit assures the holes align.

John

mike h
03-31-2015, 08:24 AM
I would like to replace the rudder and elevator pins and bushings on my Kitfox 2. Has anyone done any upgrades to a different material like bronze or turkite.

Thanks Mike H

SkyPirate
03-31-2015, 08:26 AM
on the model 2 I didn't think there were any bushings ..just the an bolt thru the hinge

Av8r3400
03-31-2015, 11:07 AM
I just finished doing this project on my plane.

5/16" plastic tubing from the hardware store. I cut the bushings long and predrilled them slightly oversized to the pins. Then when they are pressed into the hinge, trim off the excess and they are ready to go. Some experimenting with the predrilling size is needed, but it's super easy. 10' of this tubing cost less than $2, 5x more than I needed.

No need to hand ream or get long drills.

LSaupe
04-05-2015, 05:08 PM
Just did mine today. Did the same thing, overdrilled (length also oversized). Froze them, then installed and trimmed once in. Worked like a champ. Thanks for the advice. Very timely info.

mike h
04-05-2015, 05:25 PM
I would like to replace the rudder and elevator pins and bushings on my Kitfox 2. Has anyone done any upgrades to a different material like bronze or turkite.

Thanks Mike H

Thanks for the information.....The forum is very helpful in getting my Kitfox back in the air.