PDA

View Full Version : Painting airplane with house paint

topwater1956
07-16-2013, 03:10 PM
I have heard of painting a fabric covered plane with house paint
Just bought a Kitfox that needs painting and did not know to use latex or oil base house paint. I think it is ureothane now, but they sprayed it thin and the old color bleeds through all over.
Thanks in advance

Esser
07-16-2013, 04:42 PM
House paint it meant for for houses. You will get cracks and flakes and an overall poor finish. If you want to do it right you need to shell out some bucks.

Geowitz
07-16-2013, 05:04 PM
I have definitely heard of the world war I replica guys using Latex Paint from Home depot to pain their fabric airplanes. Makes it much easier for paint color variety and supposedly pretty good UV protection and flexibility.

http://www.kcdawnpatrol.org/latex.html

topwater1956
07-16-2013, 05:30 PM
Thanks!! Geowitz that website answered alot of my questions.

SkyPirate
07-16-2013, 07:49 PM
I think the guy that designed the eagle uses house paint and suggests builders do the same because not only price but it covers better so lighter

Esser
07-16-2013, 08:29 PM
Hmm, that is interesting. The finishes I have seen have been crap. But then again it probably all depends on the prep work.

SS7Flyer
07-17-2013, 12:03 AM
A pint of Kelly Moore latex thinned with a little water and Floetrol and sprayed out of a $20 harbor freight spray gun over the top of Aerothane works great. It's cheap, light, flexible, and contains UV protectant built in. My experience was only meant as a temporary solution on the fuse. Several years later and nobody knows it's latex housepaint except me and you can't tell the difference between it and the $2500 worth of coatings I shelled out for Randolph coatings on the wings and tail feathers.