PDA

View Full Version : Western North Carolina owners

flyingdragracer
06-27-2013, 09:36 PM
Hi I am located in western NC and I am considering buying/building a Kitfox but would like to get a closer look or possibly a flight in a Kitfox. I am a private pilot with some tail wheel experience. Anyone close to my area mind letting me come out and look at your Kitfox please let me know asap. 828-817-0412 or mitch@downandlocked.com Thanks Mitch Stott

SkyPirate
06-27-2013, 09:58 PM
Welcome to the site, there is a members map listed in the forums , just incase some members dont log on often, you can see who is close to you on this map, there is a list for the different color bubble markers on the bottom of the map as to which model kitfox the member might be flying or has an interest in

flyingdragracer
06-28-2013, 06:28 AM
Thanks Skypirate I have looked at the map and noticed the color legend. I clicked on a couple of bubbles and it displays the tail number.

I suppose the intent is to take this number to the FAA website and search for the owner of that particular aircraft,or is there another method of determining the owner and or gaining contact information from the map. Thanks Mitch

SkyPirate
06-28-2013, 08:26 AM
If you have an iphone download the app "aviation files" no spaces, it will give you owner and aircraft info, there are 3 maps on the map site, im not sure how they are all formatted for info but the first map has names and locations and type kitfox

Once you have the name ,( screen name) you can look it up on members list and send them a private message, on aviation files app sometimes it lists phone number , but definitely owners name and sometimes address

Dick B in KY
06-28-2013, 09:58 AM
Not to steal the thread, but, good to hear from you again SkyPirate. Nice to see you are back on the forum.

Dick B

SkyPirate
06-28-2013, 10:03 AM
Hi Dick :) thanks for the welcome back :-)

jamesmil
06-28-2013, 12:23 PM
hi flyingdragracer, good to have you join the forum. I'm not from western nc but on the coast of north Carolina. I live at pilots ridge "03nc". we are 10 km. south of Wilmington nc"kilm". jim hunter and I built an ss7 and first flew it last year. would be glad to take you for a ride anytime we can work it out.you can call me at 910/471/9026.

SkyPirate
06-28-2013, 01:42 PM
Some of my ole stomping grounds around wilmington , good flying there too

jamesmil
06-28-2013, 05:05 PM
still good flying skypirate, as with all of this great country of ours.:)

SkyPirate
06-28-2013, 05:12 PM
yes sir James,.. been awhile since I was down that way though,..my daughter is still in Raleigh,..I miss the circle track racing now n then,.but then I think of how much it costs and don't miss it as much ha ha

SkyPirate
06-28-2013, 05:18 PM
Mitch,..Im guessing your near Columbus somewhere,..on the map there are 2 listed model 7/SS's,... CPC would be the ident for the airport near Columbus,..so anyone reading the thread if you can hook him up if CPC isn't too far....

SkyPirate
06-28-2013, 05:34 PM
ok that isn't right ...that's Columbus county,...33A Fairview would be the right ident and its 215 nm from you James

flyingdragracer
06-28-2013, 09:48 PM
Thanks guys for the help I have talked with Jimmy from Wilmington and he was a great help in discussing the Kitfox 3benny3 is very close to me and sent me a private message to which I have returned a call but haven't heard back as of yet.

Skypirate I did download the app you suggested and I think it will be a help so thank you very much for that. I haven't located the other maps you suggested on the kitfox forums.

I can say this is all exciting and I truly appreciate the help from everyone. But I haven't secured a ride or a viewing just yet so keep the suggestions coming.

Fairview 33A is about 15 miles from my location also close by is Rutherford airport KFQD Thanks again Mitch

SkyPirate
06-29-2013, 08:35 AM
That app is pretty handy once you start looking for any plane to purchase, it lists the serial number also which is needed for checking the history of a plane.
This site's archives are a great resource for builders if you choose to build instead of buying a flying kitfox also.
, if you build , i cant wait to see the paint scheme :) wrinkle tire landing gear? Ha ha drag chute? Just kidding :) some mini D-60 hoosiers would be cool :)

Chase

flyingdragracer
06-29-2013, 04:37 PM
Thanks guys for all the help and suggestions. I have found a local owner about 35 miles away that is going to give me a up close look and a ride this evening around 8:30 I will let everyone know how it went after the show and tell.

Skypirate I might consider your suggestions on the Hoosier slicks etc LOL

I retired from professional drag racing in 2004 if you search me on the net you will find a little about my past racing career. About 4 years ago I started a manufacturing company producing R/C aircraft components called Down and Locked. I have been interested in aviation for about 40 years both full scale and R/C I hold a private pilot license and have owned a Cessna 172 a Preceptor Ultra Pup and various ultralight type aircraft.

I have always Liked the Kitfox and I have decided it's time to have one, so I am off to see if I like them as much as I think I do. Mitch

flyingdragracer
06-29-2013, 04:39 PM
Thanks guys for all the help and suggestions. I have found a local owner about 35 miles away that is going to give me a up close look and a ride this evening around 8:30 I will let everyone know how it went after the show and tell.

Skypirate I might consider your suggestions on the Hoosier slicks etc LOL

I retired from professional drag racing in 2004 if you search me on the net you will find a little about my past racing career. About 4 years ago I started a manufacturing company producing R/C aircraft components called Down and Locked. I have been interested in aviation for about 40 years both full scale and R/C I hold a private pilot license and have owned a Cessna 172 a Preceptor Ultra Pup and various ultralight type aircraft.

I have always Liked the Kitfox and I have decided it's time to have one, so I am off to see if I like them as much as I think I do. Mitch

SkyPirate
06-29-2013, 04:49 PM
I hear you Mitch, i did a little circle track racing ran a ford :) ha ha
Cool on the RC products , i've own quite a few ultra lights had a model 2 that still today i kick myself for selling it , Dennis Sawyer built it , he is on Red Bulls flying team, he wishes he hadnt sold it too.
Im going to guess you have a huge grin about 8:45 :-D

jamesmil
06-29-2013, 05:52 PM
skypirate where did you race in nc.? I ran dirt thru the 70's and early 80's around eastern nc. was out of racing till my son wanted to go racing in 1998. we ran the nascar goodys dash series for eight years till nascar threw the series in the ditch. then we ran the uara late model series for a couple of years. my son had a c.o.d sponsorship. CASH ON DAD.:eek:

SkyPirate
06-29-2013, 06:23 PM
I raced at Southern national speedway in kenly, also built a few nascart gokart tracks, one in jacksonville, its now a parking lot from what i hear, did allot of welding for Bobby Goodson if you watch the tv show swamp loggers, nh i did some welding on the track dryers at loudon, my daughters grand father was on buddy bakers pit crew for 10 years and i helped out a couple times on Kirk Leons pit, he was up to run hooters, i dont know if he made it or not, i didnt keep up with racing much after i left NC

Last i heard Kirk had bought southern national or was going to,.. That was 2004 or 05

It was allot of fun racing i did OK at least top 10 finishes, im a disabled vet and had to have my right leg rebuilt in mid 90's so sold my car and got back into airplanes :)

jamesmil
06-29-2013, 06:46 PM
kirk did buy southern national, was also in real estate . he lost the track a while back. I understand he lost everything. don't know what he's doing know.

SkyPirate
06-29-2013, 06:50 PM
He started out building transmissions ,... Maybe?

SkyPirate
06-29-2013, 07:28 PM
ok the suspense is killing me Mitch...need a tire iron to pry the grin off or?? LOL

I wonder which model your contact has,..hope it was a 4 or up with 912 :)

just checked 3benny3 has a model 11,... a great plane the model 11,..awesome stol

flyingdragracer
06-29-2013, 08:47 PM
Skypirate I am back from the airport The gentleman's name is Tom Tschantz "that is the correct spelling"

Tom is retired from Navy aircraft carrier duty and I thanked him for his service as I was never enlisted but have the utmost respect for those that have sacrificed to keep my sorry butt safe and free.

Tom has a flying Kitfox II with a 582 and a Kitfox 4 under construction 582 for power on it also. Both airframes are painted in a beautiful WW II era navy for the II and Marines for the 4 paint scheme.
I was afforded the opportunity to sit and examine the II in anyway I wanted. He offered a flight but by the time we finished looking and talking it had gotten way to dark.

I found the kitfox to be a little snug in interior space and a little long in the reach for the rudder pedals.

Tom is a fairly tall man and so he had very little padding in the seat area both rear and bottom. He flies barefooted and recommends I do as well for the purpose of feeling the rudder. so during my period of sitting in the right seat I was without shoes. I think with proper padding in the seats and shoes the rudder distance will be just fine.

The width is a tight but again I am looking a very well equipped series 6 and I think the cabin width is a little wider on the 6 versus the II so I think I will be comfortable in that as well.

I have owned and flown a 172 for many hours and though it was snug in width I was comfortable and I understand the 6 is a touch wider than a 172

All things considered I had and still have a smile on my face from the opportunity to get a hands on feeling for the type of airplane I feel sure will provide me and the wife many hours of enjoyment and adventure. we have already talked about taking a little camping trip somewhere asap after getting comfortable with the Kitfox, so yes looking very forward to the future of flying in a Kitfox. Many thanks to Tom for meeting me on short notice and all the contributors on here for the input. I will keep everyone posted as to what happens next. Mitch

SkyPirate
06-29-2013, 08:52 PM
the 6 is wider and depending on the builder might have adjustable rudder pedals,..the option for bubble doors is always a thought too ,..adds some elbow room,..the 2 has an under chambered wing and is a great local flyer,..with awesome stol,..the 4's and up have a different airfoil ,..better cruise ,..4's and up also have better endurance,..is the 6 your looking at a tail dragger or tricycle?

SkyPirate
06-29-2013, 09:17 PM
if your 172 was a square tail,..rudder inputs will be similar,..roll rate kitfox is allot quicker,.. I have been flying a square tail 172 with go300,..can't wait to get my hands on another kitfox,..I'm looking for a 4,..but recently a 5 has caught my eye,..tail dragger 912 ul,..

flyingdragracer
06-29-2013, 09:40 PM
I have a tail dragger series 6 contracted to buy,the owner has been on vacation for the last couple weeks and will be returning 7-7-13 at some point I will travel to his location and fly it back

Powered by a Continental IO-240B fuel injected and IFR certification. It is honestly one of the more beautiful airplanes I have ever seen. I came across it on Barnstormers about 6 weeks ago and the next day it wasn't there fortunately I had sent the owner an email that first day but it was several weeks before he contacted me back. I figured it had sold immediately but as it turned out the day after listing the tornadoes hit Oklahoma and he removed the listing so he could help with relief efforts for several weeks and contacted me once he returned.

So after a couple days of negotiating and researching all the details we have a pending deal when he returns from vacation.

I have heard both pros and cons for the continental powered Kitfox but for me I think it will work out great. I was actually planning a lycoming for the Highlander that I was planning to build before the Kitfox came along,but I would love to hear some thoughts from you guys on the forum. Thanks again Mitch

flyingdragracer
06-29-2013, 09:53 PM
My 172 was the last year for the fastback 1962 and it had the swept tail. It was a great airplane that me and the family 4 of used occasionally I even taught my son to fly it take off to landing when he was 13 he now flies ultralights at age 19 no actually today is his 20th birthday.

I flew to and from Houston Texas for many trips during some land development projects I was involved with. That was a great venture until the banks collapsed and sent the economy into a spiral of which I still have some pretty great concerns about the overall stability.

SkyPirate
06-29-2013, 10:26 PM
I hear you on the stability, my wife is from Dallas, still trying to get her interested in flying, she is nervous about it but is slowly taking an interest, my 7 year old goes with me everywhere and she cant wait to get her own plane, that's now,.. We will see in a few years :)

Sounds like your getting a nice plane :) tail dragger is great , i prefer the third wheel in the back too, just doesnt look right in the front :-)
Awesome on your son flying too and happy birthday to him :)

SkyPirate
06-30-2013, 08:54 AM
Tried to share a youtube like , worlds largest foam RC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIzSjZ7VKpE&feature=player_embedded

Inspiration :-)

Hope the link come thru sending from my phone, didnt work

will see if i can link it with computer later :)

ok think I got it right

Tom Waid
06-30-2013, 01:55 PM
if your 172 was a square tail,..rudder inputs will be similar,..roll rate kitfox is allot quicker,.. I have been flying a square tail 172 with go300,..can't wait to get my hands on another kitfox,..I'm looking for a 4,..but recently a 5 has caught my eye,..tail dragger 912 ul,..

My square tail 172:

http://tropicaltuba.com/images/New%20Paint!_small.jpg

In the movie "Empire of the Sun" the little boy calls the P51 the "Cadillac of the Sky." In that context my 172 is the "Rambler American of the Sky."

SkyPirate
06-30-2013, 02:53 PM
That be the brother to the one i have been flying Tom :)

by the way that sure is a handsome example of a 172 too :)

SkyPirate
06-30-2013, 03:01 PM
We flew down to Arkansas last week, had some fun ridge flying, the owner of the 172 i have been flying with is from Dallas, flat lander, so he found out a little bit what a ridge manifested 30 knot tail wind does to a 172 on approach :)

He never heard a prop make a noise like that lol he thought it was coming off :) i reassured him we were ok put the flaps at 10 and the nose into the wind :)

flyingdragracer
06-30-2013, 07:05 PM
My wife enjoys flying as long as it's flat level and smooth. If we encounter turbulance she would just as soon be on the ground. Glad to hear your Daughter enjoys it maybe she will continue to like flying and continue our love of and freedom of flying.

DesertFox4
06-30-2013, 07:06 PM
Tom, that is a beautiful example of the straight tail 172. I first took off and landed one (1959 model) way back when I was 13 years old. Had lots of great fishing trips in that Cessna.

BTW- Welcome back Chase. :D Fun video of that large foam RC.

SkyPirate
06-30-2013, 07:13 PM
thanks for the WB Steve :) took a few tries to get logged in,..I'm a lil slow dontcha know,..just sent you a funny e mail :) hope its not too crude lol

SkyPirate
06-30-2013, 07:22 PM
Mitch,..my 7 year old, Madison , her first flight a few ears ago was in a 182,..we flew up to Mexico MO,..home of the zenith,.., her face was stuck to the port window all the way there,..snoring on the way back lol,.so I know she was a little nervous,..used up all her energy I'm sure from being tense,..but now it's old hat to her :)

flyingdragracer
06-30-2013, 07:28 PM
Tom that is a very sharp 172 as I said earlier i sure enjoyed the one i had. Never a single problem I always felt safe flying it and I have been in some pretty tight situations when using it to cruise land prospects.

Skypirate what was your involvement with the large scale foamy.

SkyPirate
06-30-2013, 07:30 PM
Mitch,..Im going to guess the model 6 your getting has a higher gross due to the motor that's on it,..so not an lsa?

only involvement is envy :) a friend sent me the link,..thought you would appreciate it :)

flyingdragracer
06-30-2013, 07:51 PM
1550 Gross weight
994 empty
556 useful
150 baggage allowance
11.7 lbs wing loading per sq in

flyingdragracer
06-30-2013, 07:54 PM
Yes I did enjoy it R/C airplanes are a great way of spending quality time with family and friends and i personally think one of the most rewarding hobbies that exist. Mitch

SkyPirate
06-30-2013, 07:55 PM
cool on that,..I know your excited about getting it,..you had said well equipped,..glass?

flyingdragracer
06-30-2013, 07:57 PM
Mitch,..my 7 year old, Madison , her first flight a few ears ago was in a 182,..we flew up to Mexico MO,..home of the zenith,.., her face was stuck to the port window all the way there,..snoring on the way back lol,.so I know she was a little nervous,..used up all her energy I'm sure from being tense,..but now it's old hat to her :)

I know what you mean about the uncertainty of there first flight I have many stories that I could tell about my past experiences and especially those that involved teaching my son Donovan to fly.

SkyPirate
06-30-2013, 07:57 PM
I bought a "cricket" RC helicopter back in ......mid 80's,..it was a challenge to get that thing to hover and it was a fixed pitch rotar system so throttle controlled altitude,..I ended up putting gyro's on the tail

flyingdragracer
06-30-2013, 08:00 PM
cool on that,..I know your excited about getting it,..you had said well equipped,..glass?

No not glass I will try to post the list and type of avionics from the list the owner forwarded me.

CABIN & PANEL LAYOUT

Basic Instruments (VFR)
Air Speed Indicator
Altimeter
Lighted Compass
VSI
Tachometer
Quad Gauge
Oil pressure
Oil temperature
CHT
EGT
Volt/Amp meter

Additional IFR Instruments, etc.
Attitude Indicator
Directional Gyro
MP & Fuel Flow
Vacuum gauge

Radios & Switching Panel
Apollo/Garmin (A/G) SL10-M Switching Panel with
Com & Nav features
Marker Beacons
Intercom
Telecom
Other wiring options possible
A/G SL30 NAV/COM
A/G GX65 GPS/COM
A/G SL70 XPDR & Encoder

Additional Panel Features
Low Fuel Warning Light
Alternator Light
Remote ELT Switch
Hobbs Meter
Rheostat Lighting
Radio Master
Electric Fuel Pump
Activation Panel w/Circuit Breakers

Value Added “Extras”
Custom Designed Interior
Key-operated Door Locks
Large Baggage Area
Electric Trim
Metal Header Tank
“Hard” Fuel Lines
Battery Tender Installed

Hey what do you know it worked

SkyPirate
06-30-2013, 08:11 PM
wow that's a mouth full ,..looks like the builder had a plan and he set it up nice,..
I bought an ifly not to long ago from a friend,(his wife says he has too many toys lol)..I'm loving it,..it has both aviation and road applications

flyingdragracer
06-30-2013, 08:15 PM
I am trying to figure out how to post pictures on here that I received thru my email but for the life of me i cant get them to transfer. I have them saved in my windows picture viewer and when I copy/paste all I get is the file number. Any suggestions from you computer gurus out there.

SkyPirate
06-30-2013, 08:17 PM
in your profile there is a place to put photo's you have to upload them there first then you can put them in posts or if you have the url for the photo's you can list it in a post and the photo follows

I think in the FAQ frequently asked questions tab above has an explanation on how to also

flyingdragracer
06-30-2013, 08:26 PM
Yea but you dont know me very well I need special assistance when it come to this stuff LOL I did get the panel picture added to my profile maybe it will work now.

flyingdragracer
06-30-2013, 08:29 PM
Well darn it still doesn't show up with my post

SkyPirate
06-30-2013, 08:29 PM
sometimes you have to start a new thread to post photo's too,..I hear ya on the computer illiterate ha ha ,..I went to the same class :) Madison knows more about computers then I do lol

flyingdragracer
06-30-2013, 08:30 PM
Ah Ha I got it I looked below and there was a place just below submit button that will allow you to upload images. Mitch

SkyPirate
06-30-2013, 08:30 PM
I see it ..AWESOME oops hit the cap lock

ok Im a visual kinda guy and I'll confirm the envy is swelling in me now :) that looks great :)

flyingdragracer
06-30-2013, 08:35 PM
And one from the outside and another from the inside

SkyPirate
06-30-2013, 08:36 PM
ok ...your going to be styling :) she is a beauty :)
I think I remember seeing it on Barn Dreamers now,..

Oklahoma,..

flyingdragracer
06-30-2013, 08:40 PM
Thanks Skypirate I really enjoy the friendships that can be made on these forums and you guys have been great. I think you do understand now why I decided to buy instead of build,as i said before it is truly one on the more beautiful airplanes I have seen.

flyingdragracer
06-30-2013, 08:43 PM
ok ...your going to be styling :) she is a beauty :)
I think I remember seeing it on Barn Dreamers now,..

Oklahoma,..

Barn dreamers that is pretty funny and lord only knows the hours I have spent doing just that dreaming of airplanes. I got to get to bed its been a long day and i have a shop full of work tomorrow. Mitch

SkyPirate
06-30-2013, 08:44 PM
agreed on the friendships,..allot of great guys on here,..and I'll second thatm,, she certainly is a beautiful aircraft

how can you sleep? I'd be throthing at the bit to get that plane home~! ha ha I hear you..got a full day here tomorrow too

flyingdragracer
07-01-2013, 09:15 PM
Guys my local A&P is driving me crazy wanting me to buy a Maule instead of the Kitfox I was looking at one previously and had asked him about them and he is still insisting that is what I should do he called me today talking about it.

My only reason for the Maule is the rear seat and I may want to carry more than myself and the wife occasionally. What is the general opinion of the Maule Franklin 220 hp versus the Kitfox Continental 125 hp

kmach
07-02-2013, 10:54 AM
Hi,

I looked at a Maule as an option to what I want to do.

The Maules I looked at were in the 60 000 price range.

The KF was cheaper there, and then there is the fuel burn and maintenance cost differences.

So just looking at cost, you can't beat the KF .

After owning my fox for 3 yrs I have now become biased and don't believe there is any other aircraft that I'd rather own ! except maybe a model 7;)

flyingdragracer
07-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Hi Kmach that is the kind of information or comparison I am looking for. The only difference in your experience is I have found a very nice Maule for $39000.00 and the Kitfox series 6 continental powered I am considering is priced at $58000.00

I agree on the future maintenance and fuel burn cost of the Maule I guess what I really want to know is have any of you guys owned both and what would your comparison be based on overall flying enjoyment.

For me the ability to just swing the doors open during flight and cruise around at lower airspeeds seems like just the thing I want, Then again the ability to carry extra cargo and or the family dog seems a little less selfish when considering that the rest of the family can get enjoyment from it also when using it to fly to the coast for a seafood dinner etc. The majority of my flying will be solo I am sure on those late evenings when I just want to go up and relax but on those occasions when more than one other person would enjoy going I will need the Maule. Boy am I confused.

SkyPirate
07-02-2013, 01:44 PM
At one time i had 7 aircraft, the ones i flew the most ,.. The kitfox and a Phantom ultralight :) the rest didnt get flown much and any good offer ended up owning them

hey Mitch ,..just sent you 2 emails to the address on the first page :)

http://batchgeo.com/map/34e3d56ef6e8dfe205632c4827211529

the map :)

SkyPirate
07-06-2013, 10:39 AM
Hey Mitch , sent you a private message a few days ago, wondering if you have made any ground on your decision, and did you get my e mail?

Chase

SkyPirate
08-12-2013, 06:56 PM
Congrats on your purchase Mitch~!! she is a beauty~!! I know what you'll be doing tomorrow :)

flyingdragracer
08-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Thanks Skypirate I will most certainly be flying tommorow I would have been flying today but weather delayed the arrival of my new baby till there was about 5 minutes of day light left. So tommorow bright and early around 6:30 we will be headed to the airport were I left her at tonight "That was hard to do" and we will be doing some orientation and then headed into the friendly skies for a full day of flying and learning. I will post some pictures and video soon. Mitch