PDA

View Full Version : model 3 converted to model 4 speedster

foxkit3
06-24-2013, 01:36 PM
I recently installed model 4 speedster wings on my model 3. I have already changed the cowling for the more sloped windsheild plus i installed the thicker windsheild 00.90. Still have the original virtical stab and rudder. next winters project. Still using the original mixer. the plane flys alot better now. landings are much more predictable. climb out is not that bad with 2 people running a 912 ul. Would it be worth it to replace the mixer?? adverse yaw is not that bad. cruising about 115 mph with ivo inflight prop. love the plane now. here are some pictures

Pilot4Life
06-24-2013, 01:55 PM
foxkit3,
I can't comment on the mods, as I am still dreaming of building my own Model 7SS. However, can I ask what inspired the paint scheme? It's nice and clean...I like the mulitiple colors and the layout differs from what I've seen before.

Av8r3400
06-24-2013, 07:34 PM
Are you using the Model III, flat bottom, flapperons, yet? (It looks like it.) If the plane flies good as is, I wouldn't change the mixer system.

To update to the Model IV system would require lots of additional work, welding and fabric removal/repair. That would be a project for recovering time. (If ever.)

foxkit3
06-24-2013, 07:46 PM
The flaperons are model 4 full semi.

SkyPirate
06-27-2013, 09:08 PM
Sweet :-) looks gr8

foxkit3
07-01-2013, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the positive remarks. Was not sure if I was going to get beat up or not for making changes to the plane. It was alot of fun I really enjoyed building and covering the wings.

SkyPirate
07-01-2013, 06:30 PM
Great job looks awesome :) would be cool to list the performance differences

HighWing
07-01-2013, 07:44 PM
Like the others, I really like the paint. No problem from me regading the Mods - well thought out. I particularly like the panel at the throttle area. I made a small secondary panel with room for some switches etc. there, but your panel is a first for me.

foxkit3
07-02-2013, 05:16 AM
DesertFox 4 did a great job on the panel as I told pilot for life when he asked about it. Since I have owned it I have repaired bent tubing due to a ground loop from previous owner. recovered the plane built the wings. Painted the plane. Added electric elevator trim. Rebuilt the engine and gearbox after taking rotax courses. added chrome spinner. Painted and installed the wheel pants.

DesertFox4
07-02-2013, 07:33 AM
You did a great job Chris.:) The aircraft looks reborn again. It's been through several owners now and has provided a lot of low cost flying pleasure. I hope it treats you well and you enjoy every flight.

Brief History:
I built the panel about 9 months after buying the plane in late 1998. The original panel was black and was full of lots of older round gauges. It looked kind of cluttered. Murle Williams showed me photos of his Grand Champion model 3 panel and I just copied his design shape incorporating the throttle area by dropping the bottom panel line slightly in the center and then angling it back up at the sides to clear the control sticks..

foxkit3
07-02-2013, 12:07 PM
Sky pirate asked the performance difference. my airport is 1000 m.s.l. I can get about 1200 f p m buy myself full of fuel at 70 mph with a 912 ul ivo prop at is low pitch setting. it will cruise at 115 mph at 5000 r.p.m. seems like it hits a wall at 115 mph. It will cruise at 100 mph half throttle 4700 r.p.m. Roll rate is very nice, it is very responsive. Stalls at 40 mph clean. Alittle buffeting than the nose drops. I like the decent rate better, much more predicable. Landings are much easyer, i can put her down when I want to. not a floater anymore. still flys well with two 200lb people. One down fall is at about 7000 msl there is not that much to offer with two people, flys slower and maybe can 150 fpm climb. Rough air flying is much better.

SkyPirate
07-02-2013, 04:13 PM
that sounds great foxkit3 especially the cruise , thanks for the info:)

the climb rate and better ride in rough air a plus too,..I know in my old model 2 rough air was not a joy to fly in, the under chambered wings didn't smooth any of the roughness out