PDA

View Full Version : New to the boards, got questions!

Nathaniel
04-28-2009, 06:15 PM
Howdy everyone!

Think the Kitfox is the best thing going.

A few questions, if you don't mind. I am trying to do as much research as possible before I commit to the build, forewarned and all that. Been reading about covering (DVD on the way!), composites and electrical stuff. Pretty handy so I'm not worried about all that.

Off the top of my head - is anyone still financing these kits? Air Fleet Capitol (on Kitfox's website) is not financing right now. Just dropped NAFCO a line, waiting to hear from them. Appreciate any insight in this area.

Covering - I don't see needles and thread in the covering kit in the catalog. Are you stitching ribs or no? Can't tell from the pics yet. Obviously stonger, just wonder if the peel forces are really a consideration on the Kitfox.

Kit progress - obviously a little more cost effective to buy as you go. However, what about having all the parts on the shelf? I mean, if you are working on wings, be easy to run wires and such for the lights. Just don't want to get the cart in front of the horse and have to either A)undo something or B) wait for parts to do a chore. Personally I would just love to have about everything sitting around so I can tackle it as I go AND if I get bored on one chore and need a break, I have something else to work on.

Plans - Is it possible to purchase a complete set of plans ahead of time to study?

Thanks everyone, hope this all works out.

Skybolt
04-28-2009, 09:09 PM
Hi Nathaniel.
My 2 cents below.

Eric

Off the top of my head - is anyone still financing these kits? Air Fleet Capitol (on Kitfox's website) is not financing right now. Just dropped NAFCO a line, waiting to hear from them. Appreciate any insight in this area.
Better ask John from Kitfox, he would know.

Covering - I don't see needles and thread in the covering kit in the catalog. Are you stitching ribs or no? Can't tell from the pics yet. Obviously stonger, just wonder if the peel forces are really a consideration on the Kitfox.
Talk about this years ago; Skystar said don't have to rib lace Polyfiber said it is best practice to lace ribs. My opinion is that it feels safer to have laced and it looks better to have laced.

Kit progress - obviously a little more cost effective to buy as you go. However, what about having all the parts on the shelf? I mean, if you are working on wings, be easy to run wires and such for the lights. Just don't want to get the cart in front of the horse and have to either A)undo something or B) wait for parts to do a chore. Personally I would just love to have about everything sitting around so I can tackle it as I go AND if I get bored on one chore and need a break, I have something else to work on.
With the firewall back kit, you can constantly work for months. To have the firewall forward package will not do you much good untill you have an engine (which engine will you decide on). lots of money!
Now the question comes up about financing. Can you finance again after a couple of months (years) for the firewall foreward and engine or does it all have to be the one time? Another question for John at Kitfox.

Plans - Is it possible to purchase a complete set of plans ahead of time to study?
I don't think it possible to purchase the construction manual without the kit. Ask John. I personaly think it good if he sold the manual as a seperate item.

Nathaniel
04-29-2009, 09:31 AM
Heard back from NAFCO. 20% down, 5 year term, 10.75%. Ouch. Kind of a deal breaker there. Scratching my head now.

Dorsal
04-29-2009, 10:31 AM
Hi Nathanial,
More random opinions

Pay as you go is a far more cost effective way of "financing" and will keep you focused on the task at hand.

Rib stitching is fairly easy

I bought an updated build manual from KF (~$150) this year to work on a partially built 7 that I bought as a project (also a cost effective approach)

Nathaniel
04-29-2009, 10:42 AM
Gotta get my hands on one of those manuals. Placed an order through the web site for the Kitfox book but I figure they are still sun'funnin' it. gotta call next week I guess, see what's what.

I suppose I could buy just about everything except the firewall forward - engine, prop and FF package from KF is $20k+ I wouldn't need to spend right away.

SkyPirate
04-29-2009, 12:26 PM
As for sewing the fabric,..the kitfox will not reach the G loads or speeds that require stitching,..but it is ultimately up to the builder,..without stitching you have cleaner surfaces,..with stitching you have added weight of stitch plus stitch covering fabric,..which may or may not be an issue ,..the 2.7 oz fabric is very strong and with the new adhesives stitching is not always used on light aircraft,..again it's up to the builder,

you spoke of wiring and doing or redoing something,..if you do get a part that will have other parts added after it's construction ..just allow for it and run your wires/cables prior to install of final surfaces of that particular component, the kitfox I owned did not have inspection plates put into the bottom of the wings but there is nothing that says that they could not be installed,.which would make it easier to route wires or replace them if needed,..etc
seems we are in the same arena in search of a kitfox to build :)

Chase

Nathaniel
04-29-2009, 05:33 PM
Good stuff, many thanks. I read Jorge's site end to end, good work there but I'm interested in doing my own from start to finish - SS, 100hp Rotax 912, tailwheel, Dynon and Garmin in the panel. Thanks for the hookup on available kits, but I want to do my own deal.

You right about the fabric - if you want to add inspection holes or run something later (the more I read...) it's pretty simple actually.