PDA

View Full Version : Dynavibe summer tour

Dorsal
05-26-2013, 05:28 AM
Given the successful trip it took this winter I am willing to send out my Dynavibe again for those interested in balancing their props. Once I get a list of names I will attempt set up a geographically efficient daisy chain. I do ask $50 per stop (offsetting a small part of the purchase cost) and that you cover shipping to the next in line.

Av8r_Sed
05-26-2013, 06:07 AM
Hi Dorsal,
Please add me to the list in the Chicago area.

hansedj
05-26-2013, 06:38 AM
Add me to the list. Daryl Hansen Tremonton Utah

airlina
05-27-2013, 03:17 AM
put me on the list Dorsal, I have my mounts ready to go,Bruce Lina N199CL

Tom T
05-27-2013, 09:42 AM
Dorsal,
I'd like to be on the list also, hopefully near the end of the loop.

n85ae
05-28-2013, 09:11 AM
Jeff Hays - Chicago area. Can reach me at

jshays ( at ) live ( dot) com

Thanks!

Dorsal
06-16-2013, 05:02 PM
Sorry for the delay, been laid up with a nasty cold/respiratory thing, that and bad weather keeping me from the airport. Got up there this weekend (for some nice flying) and will be sending the unit off to Airlina tomorrow. A couple stops in Chicago then Utah and out to the North West.

N981MS
06-25-2013, 12:45 PM
I would like to be on the list if possible. I am in the Southeast. I see it is currently headed to the opposite corner next.

Thanks,
Maxwell

Dorsal
06-25-2013, 05:20 PM
Happy to add you, unit is currently with Airlina so it will be a few weeks.

Jfquebec
06-28-2013, 07:30 PM
Good idea ,Dorsal...great guy for aviation:cool:

n85ae
07-13-2013, 05:59 PM
Dynavibe report:

Easy to use, once figured out. Trickiest part was finding the little red light
on the back that's used for setting up the reflector.

Just finished my IO-240B with it. I never thought my plane was that rough,
but I guess it was 2.1 ips @ 180 degrees when I started, .07 @ 248 after
adding some weight. Interesting because my prop static balances perfectly
so I think my backplate/spinner make a lot of difference with the balance.

Think I could have tuned it a bit more, but too many voices saying "Dad
can we go home now!?!". Hopefully I can fly it tomorrow. I can tell the
difference at runup already, and I think I picked up 30-40 rpm at full
power static as well which went from about 2250 to just under 2300

Who get's it next? Send me an email at n85ae (at) yahoo.com with your
address and I'll get it on the way.

I printed out a manual and put it in the case, along with a bracket I made for
the IO-240 for the accelerometer. I used the lifting ring for the engine per
Bruce Lina's included pic for attaching the optical sensor.

Finn send me an email with your address, and I'll send you a check.

Best Regards,
Jeff Hays

Dorsal
07-13-2013, 08:35 PM
I think hansedj is next on the list, glad it worked well for you.

n85ae
07-13-2013, 08:44 PM
Worked great! I've been trying to figure out the high initial ips readings all day, since my prop was static balanced. Then I realized I have some extra holes in my spinner backplate from previously having a warpdrive 3-blade on it, and now
I have a sensenich two blade. Same backplate, new spinner, but a handfull of
extra holes.

Oddly I never thought it vibrated much, but it should (according to google) have
exploded in flight with the high initial ips.

Anyway - .07 ips now, and very happy. Thanks again for sending it around!!!

Regards,
Jeff

wadeg
07-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Count me in!
Wade greaves Portland Oregon

Av8r_Sed
07-14-2013, 01:59 PM
The Dynavibe produced a different result for me and may have saved my butt. I was unable to obtain a stable reading with the device. The velocity (IPS) reading varied widely up to 2.3 IPS and the phase angle kept rotating forward. E-mail support from RPX Technologies (Dynavibe manufacturer) was excellent. They suggested something must be moving, maybe my spinner.

I removed prop and spinner to get the spinner backplate off and discovered that one of my IVO medium blades is cracked (see pic near upper right bolt). That explains the movement and why the Dynavibe wasn't giving good readings.

IVO says the blade is unrepairable so I have to send them the remaining good blade and check in order to get a matched pair back. I'm not happy at having to shell out some bucks, but am very happy to have found the issue while on the ground.

Dorsal's added me to the end of the summer tour list so I can balance everything once I'm properly propped again.

I think it's time for me to retire the UHS fiberglass spinner. The time it takes to remove and reinstall in order to re-torque the prop bolts at the IVO specified 10 hour intervals is just too inconvenient. Or maybe I should switch to a less maintenance intensive prop.

DesertFox4
07-14-2013, 02:12 PM
Or maybe I should switch to a less maintenance intensive prop.No such prop exists that I know of.
P.S. It takes a lot to break an Ivo. Are certain you don't have something else wrong that caused this? Gearbox, mounts?

Av8r_Sed
07-14-2013, 03:02 PM
I can't think of any other factors. I put in new mounts less than two years ago and my gearbox has not had issues I'm aware of. Initially the engine ran very rough due to the somewhat high inertia of the medium prop but I installed a clutch which smoothed things out. I closely adhered to IVO's torquing schedule up through at least 20 hours and whenever I changed plugs or had the spinner off to adjust pitch which has been fairly often (I'm only up to about 95 hours).

GT280flyer
08-20-2013, 06:26 PM
Dorsal I would like to be added to the list of stops for the prop balancer when it comes back to the east coast.
Thank, Tim
Kitfox lll
Model lV wing
Hirth 3503

Slyfox
08-21-2013, 08:46 AM
my thought on that prop breaking is ouch. I would set up a dial indicator and check that hub coming out of the gear box. possible you had a tipper on that gear box once upon a time. meaning an old prop hit on landing or something. now the hub is bent. than being a 2 stroke maybe the bearings are going bad. I would check things out real good before putting a prop back on er.

dholly
08-25-2013, 08:00 AM
Dorsal I would like to be added to the list of stops for the prop balancer when it comes back to the east coast.
Thank, Tim
Kitfox lll
Model lV wing
Hirth 3503

Perhaps in time for the NEKFFI? ;)

GT280flyer
08-25-2013, 09:34 AM
Good idea Doug, someone familiar with it would be even better.

Dorsal
08-25-2013, 03:28 PM
Sounds good to me :)

GT280flyer
08-26-2013, 03:37 AM
Dorsal, any chances of pics or illustrations of brackets that need to be in place for balancing. Would save time.

Dorsal
08-26-2013, 04:21 AM
I don't have pics but various brackets have accumulated with the unit so we should be all set.

n85ae
08-26-2013, 07:18 AM
The IO-240B bracket I crudely hacked together and added to the collection
took about 5 minutes to make. You'll probably only need an "L" or a straight
piece and few odd bolts, nuts and washer. My local Menards Aviation supply
has more than enough stuff to make brackets easily.

Regards,
Jeff

Dorsal, any chances of pics or illustrations of brackets that need to be in place for balancing. Would save time.

Av8r_Sed
08-29-2013, 02:00 PM
I've hit a snag with balancing my IVO with the new replacement blade. I've been in contact with RPX Tech, Inc and they suggested the Dynavibe be returned for calibration because some of the readings it's been producing while on the tour are unusually high. Could be the accelerometer got banged around or something. So, I packed it up and shipped it back this afternoon.

The good news is RPX has offered the calibration for free! (Thanks, Matt) Great vendor support!

Bad news is it's going to slow down the tour a little.

mdock
08-29-2013, 04:10 PM
The official NIST calibration paperwork is $149.00. But we are happy to check it out and verify that everything is working correctly. I believe one gentleman had a 3.5IPS, which is the 2nd worst number I have ever seen, so we will get it checked out and back in service shortly.
Matt

Dorsal
09-15-2013, 04:46 AM
Any updates on this?

Av8r_Sed
09-15-2013, 06:07 AM
Matt (at RPX Tech) has checked out the instrument and indicates it's working fine. He's shipped it back to me and is in transit between OK and Chicago. I'm ready to try again with it when it arrives and should be able to move it along by the end of the week.

Dorsal
09-15-2013, 06:54 AM
Cool, thanks.

Tom T
09-15-2013, 04:54 PM
Dorsal,
Planning for engine start this week. Put me back in the rotation when convenient, thanks.

rcassell
12-07-2013, 10:56 AM
Is the Dynavibe still in rotation? Can I get on the list?

Dorsal
12-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Sorry but no, it is back home.