PDA

View Full Version : Microfiber Cleaning Wipes

n85ae
04-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Out at the airport yesterday, and needed to clean the plane. But no supplies
at hand. In the file cabinet by the bench, I had two unopened packages
called "The Glosser Microfiber Cleaning Wipes with Wax", which I was
given at some point. I figured what the heck, I'll give them a try.

They work great! Bug splats, dust, belly grime, everything came right off
and the plane looks like new. I was so happy with them I stopped by the local
pepboys and bought a few more packs of them for postflight wipe downs.

Jeff

RandyL
04-25-2009, 08:30 AM
I discovered the benefits of microfiber a year or so ago. Sounds like the cloths you found are treated with something, what happens when they get dirty and you wash them?

I have tried lots of different techniques for removing bugs after each flight over the five aircraft I've owned now and believe my current system is the best so far. After each flight, at least where there are bug accumulations, I take a standard 16x16 microfiber cloth, saturate it with water from a 5 gallon jug I keep in the hangar, and wipe down the leading edges, gear legs, wheel pants, and prop. I've tried every type of "quick wax" or "detailer" on the market with standard terry towels and the water/microfiber removes the bugs the fastest, go figure.
Then when I want to get the light dust off everything else I'll use a larger microfiber towel with Turtlewax Express Shine. This works great on the plexi too. Anyway, that's my system and it's the best combination of materials and techniques I've tried so far.

n85ae
04-25-2009, 02:04 PM
Randy -

It might be it's just the microfiber itself, who know's... The ones I have
called the glosser are disposable, and have some kind of fluid in them,
with supposedly a wax. Whatever it is, they sure work great. I've
scrubbed the leading edges with regular rags, and it's a lot of work to
get the bugs guts off, these things make it a bunch easier. I started
to do some minor cleanup, and ended up wiping down the entire plane
and then waxing it after I finished. Looks ready for a show now, too
bad I'm going out hopping grass strips next time out.

Jeff

SkyPirate
05-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Curious ..have you guys tried out the new turtle wax "ICE" ?
you can use it on plastic,glass,..vynl,..paint,..it makes the surfaces look brand new,..I know on my pick up the external rear view mirrors are black plastic.and also the windhsield wiper panel is black plastic.I just wipe it on ..instantly it looks brand new ,..also the inner black plastic fender walls,..you can apply it in dirrect sunlight too,.if you have a faded composite prop or any faded plastic parts ,..I'll bet it makes it look brand new too ,..with exception to the plastic headlight covers,..for some reason it doesn't remove that yellowish tint ,..which is probably on the inside that I can not get to,....the only thing I have not tried it on is leather..but the next time I think of it ,..I'll try it on an old saddle to see
what it does.
oh I forgot ..also rubber ..hoses ,..windows rubbers,,etc..it works better then armor all,..although I have not tried it on tires

lbushrod
06-04-2009, 09:03 AM
I learned a trick from a friend. He uses fabric softener sheets for bugs and they come right off but do not polish for a shine. I also have been trying ICE but I think lemon pledge work well.

Pete

JayHenry
06-10-2020, 05:14 AM
Out at the airport yesterday, and needed to clean the plane. But no supplies
at hand. In the file cabinet by the bench, I had two unopened packages
called "The Glosser Microfiber Cleaning Wipes with Wax", which I was
given at some point. I figured what the heck, I'll give them a try.

They work great! Bug splats, dust, belly grime, everything came right off
and the plane looks like new. I was so happy with them I stopped by the local
pepboys and bought a few more packs of them for postflight wipe downs.

Jeff

while working at a motorcycle show I discovered a product called Bugslide. It works awesome and you can use it on the entire plane. It comes with a microfiber polishing rag and there an additional microfiber scrubbing rag available that makes scrubbing the stubborn bugs off a breeze.

109JB
06-10-2020, 07:34 AM
Motorcycle products work great because they have to be safe for acrylic and polycarbonate because motorcycle windshields are made of these materials like our airplane windows. I use a product called "Bike spirits", but there are many out there for motorcycles. Bike spirits works very well for me.

DannyPhilips
07-12-2020, 11:30 PM
Personally, I often use microfiber for cleaning surfaces. However, you have to be careful when washing such wipes. It is customary for the description of each cloth to state that detergents shall not be used when washing such cloths because otherwise the microfibre may lose its properties.

jrevens
07-13-2020, 08:56 AM
I believe that it’s fabric softener that shouldn’t be used. Soap or detergent is necessary to get them clean. Fabric softener seems to break down the cloth & cause it to shed “micro-fibers”. You can see this especially if you use them for cleaning eye glasses. The smoother, less “fuzzy” cloths seem less vulnerable to this than the ones that are more like terrycloth.

efwd
07-13-2020, 09:41 AM
I have learned that Fabric Softener leaves a residue behind on the cloth. I am a fanatic about streaks on glass. I could never get my glasses clear and my windshield on the plane always showed a whipe path until I stopped using fabric softener. The absence of fabric softener makes the microfiber far more absorbant which is necessary to not streak. I wondered why sometimes I noticed lint being left behind. Now I know.

DannyPhilips
07-13-2020, 10:49 PM
I believe that it’s fabric softener that shouldn’t be used. Soap or detergent is necessary to get them clean. Fabric softener seems to break down the cloth & cause it to shed “micro-fibers”. You can see this especially if you use them for cleaning eye glasses. The smoother, less “fuzzy” cloths seem less vulnerable to this than the ones that are more like terrycloth.

Yes, I agree! Thank you for clarifying:)

Ronin
07-14-2020, 12:46 PM
A little simple green for washing, cold water, NO fabric softener and dry with low heat with no softener sheets. I get mine to last years by this method. Told to me by a professional auto detailer.

DannyPhilips
09-07-2020, 12:47 AM
As for Turtle Wax Ice, I'll say the following: I've already applied it to the surface polished with another product, so I didn't notice any special effect, but one thing I can say, it really does not leave any divorce!