PDA

View Full Version : The ADS-B Out and ADS-B In Thread

GWright6970
05-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Some of us live near or in Class B & C airspace, so I did a search on the forum and did not find a thread on this topic, so here goes:

CURRENTLY (and subject to change!): I'm contemplating installing a Trig TT31 Transponder and alt. encoder for the present and next few years; and ignoring the GPS side of things until the prices and options are more defined. I'll leave space for the GPS in the center of the panel above the radio until I am forced to make the decision.

Has anyone thought about, or already addressed, this pending Jan 1, 2020 requirement for their Kitfox or Avid?

Tom T
05-05-2013, 11:22 PM
I have considered this in my panel and decided to go with the Dynon with ADS in currently, but they are indicating a software upgrade to meet the requirements of 2020. Yes that may be just a promise but Dynon has done a good job of delivering on promises in their hardware.

FWIW, I discussed this with an engineer who works for the GXXXXX company, and he feels the situation is very fluid at this time. "If we started installing hardware in all the GA aircraft tomorrow to meet the 2020 deadline, the job will not be completed by the deadline."

Changes in the standard and extensions to the deadline are likely. The solutions will continue to drop in price as we near the stated deadline and implementations could be changing also.

I made my decision because of a new panel installation. On my existing aircraft, I'm in wait and see mode.

Dorsal
05-06-2013, 03:07 AM
I was just researching this over the weekend too. I installed a GDL 39 which provides input to my 696 mostly for free weather, TFRs etc. When someone triggers the system so I get TIS-B traffic it is pretty neat and I wish there was a reasonable ADSB-out solution. Still watching and waiting.

jdmcbean
05-06-2013, 09:07 AM
This is a very interesting topic.. We have been looking very hard at this for both the E-AB side and the S-LSA side. Bottom line.... To be totally 2020compliant at this time you MUST have a TSO'd (IFR certified) WAAS capable GPS if you are going to operate in A,B,C airspace or anywhere a transponder is REQUIRED.

ADS-B Out: 2 ways... Mode S ES (extended squitter) the mode S must have the ES configuration. Or the UAT 978 Mhz

Hopefully (and most likely) those that are making the ADS-B receivers will have a legal GPS option that won't break the bank prior to 2020.

Until then.. the ADS-B In could be a nice feature for traffic and weather.

Tom Waid
05-06-2013, 02:24 PM
I've researched ADS-B (out) for years and I'm as confused now as when I started. I'm convinced that what is needed is a certified "hockey puck" GPS at a reasonable price. Something that will feed a UAT or 1090ES.

This may be what I need but I'm having a hard time finding the price. (http://www.freeflightsystems.com/products/waas-gps-sensors)

My home airport (KTIX) is in the Orlando mode C veil. The clock is ticking.
Tom

Tom Waid
05-06-2013, 02:34 PM
A Price! (http://sarasotaavionics.com/avionics/1203) (Not cheap)

napierm
05-07-2013, 02:47 PM
I wouldn't do anything but minimally equip and wait for something reasonable to come available later on. 6 years is a lot of flying.

chefwarthog
05-07-2013, 07:59 PM
What about towing a banner ''HERE I AM, AT THIS ALTITUDE''

Simple and cheap!