PDA

View Full Version : Trailing edge aluminum stiffener

Meyertheflyer
04-20-2013, 08:05 PM
Inserting aluminum tube stiffeners in the trailing edge to prevent warping during covering is an option in the builders manual. Do most builders accomplish this as a necessary requirement? My super sport is a recent kit and I wonder if I need this. If so, can you recommend where to buy the indicated 3/8" tubing and specs? Thanks

Dave S
04-21-2013, 05:20 AM
Hi Bob,

I don't know how many builders do or don't do the trailig edge stiffeners; however, it's easy, cheap and simple to increase the strength of the assembly by putting them in.

The big deal is you can tighten the fabric to its full tension if you put them in; you can't if you don't without bending the trailing edge. Then there are those little hangar incidents where some earthling visits you, doesn't know anything about airplanes and there is a "oops!" because of someone bumping or grabbing something they should not. The stiffners are insurance.

The 3/8" tubes are pretty standard aluminum aircraft tubing that can be procured from Kitfox, Aircraft Spruce; or a well stocked local aircraft parts place. You also need some hysol to bond them in.

Sicnerely,

Dave S
KF7 Trigear
912ULS Warp Drive
St Paul, Minnesnowta

AirFox
04-21-2013, 05:38 AM
I installed the stiffeners and think it is a good decision. Found the specified tubing at a local tubing supply distributor.

Scott

Geowitz
04-21-2013, 05:42 AM
Luckily they had them in stock so I got mine from grainger. - http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Tubing-4NTA1?Pid=search

Definitely worth doing.

Meyertheflyer
04-21-2013, 05:58 AM
Thank you, I will definitely put them in now. I also received some excellent advice at the Kitfox Fly in at Thunder ridge airpark, Arizona yesterday.

dholly
04-21-2013, 06:03 AM
Good discussion on this subject last year, link here >>> http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=3400

P Morel
04-21-2013, 07:16 AM
Here's how i did mine.

chefwarthog
04-21-2013, 05:30 PM
Why not just beef-up the width by 1½'' , top and bottom of the trailling edge?:confused:

HighWing
04-22-2013, 10:55 AM
I did mine exactly like Paul did, but used carbon fiber arrow blanks for the longer support tube.