PDA

View Full Version : Covering the wings

inzersv
04-01-2013, 03:58 PM
Is it easier to run the pitot/AOA lines and electrical wires before covering the wings? :confused:

Dorsal
04-01-2013, 04:31 PM
I think so, you can secure them and insure no wear points. At least that is what I did :)

chefwarthog
04-01-2013, 05:13 PM
I was asking my self the same question!! and do we have to run the wire in a plastic tube like this.... I dont know how you call that gizmo??:confused:

inzersv
04-01-2013, 06:46 PM
Thanks Dorsal, I think that is what I will do. Chefwarthog, I actually bought me some of that stuff (don't know what it was called) but got talked out of it because of the weight that it would add. I will just tape it all together every foot or so and feed it through the aft spar.

jiott
04-01-2013, 07:35 PM
The only thing I did before covering the wing was to route the pitot/AOA tubing from the pitot location out to the wingtip, and tie wrap it securely in place. From the wingtip back to the fuse everything goes inside the rear spar and can be easily done after covering.

I did protect the wiring and pitot/AOA tubing inside one of those flexible, split plastic tubes. They are extremely light weight. I felt it was important to protect this bundle from the many pulled rivets sticking out inside the spar that might vibrate and wear against the wiring, etc.

Jim

chefwarthog
04-01-2013, 07:56 PM
I know that tubing, is very light weight, and when it's strap on spars.... if it's large enough, you can pass a easily new wire, if needed for a futur use.....:rolleyes:

if you leave a string in it!! ;)

GWright6970
04-07-2013, 07:47 PM
I'm hoping some folks will see this new question here, for future searches about covering our wings:

QUESTION: For those of you who put 2-3 coats of Poly Brush on top of your wing fuel tanks, what was the maximum temperature of your iron used to adhere the fabric to the top area of the tank?

Thanks! Grover

jiott
04-07-2013, 09:27 PM
I used the same 350 degrees as the rest of the wings. The next two coats of brushed Polybrush on top of the shrunk fabric also helps to soak thru and bond to the Polybrush below.

Jim

GWright6970
04-08-2013, 06:03 PM
Jim,
Thanks for replying! I really appreciate it!:)
Grover

Dave S
04-09-2013, 07:08 AM
Grover,

I used the same temp and procedure as Jim.....FWIW - the fabric is as good as part of the tank after shrinking and polybrushing.

Dave s

GWright6970
04-09-2013, 08:49 PM
Dave, Thank you!

I went to the EAA "Fabric Covering Course" March 23, 24th, in Watsonville, California, and I somehow started second-guessing the final temp over the tanks since then!! (It must be the fumes from covering the bottom of the left wing!!) :p

I appreciate you and Jim assisting my ole' brain get back on track!!
Cheers, Grover