PDA

View Full Version : Rudder rib stitch

Dave Holl
03-30-2013, 12:46 AM
Guys
I have covered my rudder and would welcome your views on whether to rib stitch it? also what are your views on rib stitching the tail plane and elevator?
Rgds
dave

Dorsal
03-30-2013, 04:08 AM
For aesthetics or function? I don't believe there is much functional value in stitching these surfaces.

Dave Holl
03-30-2013, 08:37 AM
Function!
I only ask as my Jodel aircraft does have the elevator, ailerons and rudder rib stitched but the ribs are wider than on the kitfox ie not much fabric for the stitch to hold in place on the kitfox. As far as I can see the manual does not mention rib stitching.
Dave

Dave S
03-30-2013, 09:46 AM
Dave H,

Since I had the airfoiled tail which has a crowned surface exposed to the airflow, I did not feel it was necessary to stitch the VS, HS or rudder; however, I did stitch the wider metal ribs on the elevator where the fabric is flat.

Trying to stitch really narrow ribs has its own constellation of issues and I did not feel it was necessary anyway at those locations.

FYI - I used the KF manual and the Poly Fiber Manual in combination for guidance.

Sicnerely,

Dave S
KF 7 Trigear
912ULS Warp
St Paul, MN

DesertFox4
03-30-2013, 10:13 AM
Not needed.

Dick B in KY
03-30-2013, 10:25 AM
I stitched all surfaces on my SS for uniformity. May not be needed or required but looks better to me.

Dick B

HighWing
03-30-2013, 10:53 AM
I stitched all surfaces on my SS for uniformity. May not be needed or required but looks better to me.

Dick B

I did the same. I thought I needed to Stitch the bendable ribs in my very experimental rudder trim system and then did the rest for consistency. I do agree with the others that it is not necessary and if you checked out all the Kitfoxes you will ever see, you will find that it is very rarely done.
Lowell

Dave Holl
03-30-2013, 04:08 PM
Thanks for all your views, I think on balance I won't rib.:)

chefwarthog
03-30-2013, 05:44 PM
You're one day closer to fly!!!:D