PDA

View Full Version : Flaperon horn

Marshawk
03-26-2013, 08:25 AM
I was just wondering if someone could tell me the name of the grey compound that was in the flaperon horn were it slides over, I had to remove them and the stuff almost looks like J B Weld but im sure its probably something aircraft related or would j b weld work, this was off an avid so not sure if kit fox use the same compound even

Thanks Willis

Geowitz
03-26-2013, 08:28 AM
Most likely 3m Structural Adhesive or Locktite Hysol 9460. Not sure if it's even necessary structurally as(at least on the Kitfox) the horns are held in place in the flaperon spar with stainless steel pop rivets. In this case the coating may be more for separation of dissimilar metals than anything else.

P Morel
03-26-2013, 05:57 PM
I second George's comment....I would have to guess it must be Hysol

dholly
03-26-2013, 08:30 PM
Willis - based on the age of your Avid kit, it could have been supplied with either 3M Scotch Weld #2216 two-part Epoxy or Hysol 9460, both of which are gray when cured. The answer may be more likely linked to when the kit was assembled, ie. kits often sit for years without progress and materials with expired shelf lives often replaced. Based on the age of your Avid and the build history as I understand it, I would suspect Hysol was the adhesive used. JB Weld plus the rivets **should** provide all the strength necessary in this instance, however, I personally would use Hysol if at all possible. It is so darned expensive, maybe you can just bum a big dollop or two from a building buddy rather than buying a full quart kit?

Marshawk
03-26-2013, 09:37 PM
Thanks alotEveryone for the replies, Doug ,the beast is taking shape ill try and post some pictures one of these days

Thanks Again

GaryNo
03-27-2013, 04:11 PM
You can purchase HYSOL 9460 IN 50 ML tubes for about $20. Contact Kitfox Aircraft.:)