PDA

View Full Version : Sun 'n Fun 2013

Geowitz
03-26-2013, 08:17 AM
Anyone heading down to Sun 'n Fun? I am planning on leaving either Wednesday afternoon(4/10) or Thursday morning(4/11). My plane, more specifically my firewall forward, will be featured at the HKS display in Paradise city so I should be easy to find if you want to meet up...hopefully not to beat me up for annoying you on this board:eek:. Seriously though, I'd love to meet anyone.

HighWing
03-26-2013, 11:11 AM
A group from the North West are planning on flying down on a big bird. Being a first time attendee, I will have a lot of questions. I guess the first is where is Paradise City? I would like to connect with as many as possible. The plan is to fly into Orlando, spend a couple of days with a son in St. Augustine, then to the event.
Lowell

P Morel
03-26-2013, 05:48 PM
George

I think I might be going. Maybe we can hook up and fly down there together. We can talk when the date gets a little closer.

Paul

Geowitz
03-27-2013, 05:24 AM
Paul - We can coordinate later.

Lowell - Paradise city is the "Ultra Light/Light Sport " area at the southern most section of the airport. Perhaps it's the "step child" of the show, but recent years have shown much growth for it because of the light sport rules. It's actually just a dressed up grass field that's open to flying most of the day and does not require all the special arrival departure procedures you would have if flying into the actual airport. Basically, arrival is to come in at 500 feet from the South and watch out for traffic. A lot of companies displaying in Paradise City will do light sport flight demos out of the strip.

Overhead picture shows it at the bottom - http://www.sun-n-fun.org/files/9c/9cd91299-50bb-4556-91e7-4c7e3923f35b.pdf

The area has received a facelift in the past year with the North road being moved and some runway work so it is supposedly going to have a lot more traffic and displays this year.

ken nougaret
03-27-2013, 09:07 AM
geowitz,
looking forward to meeting you and seeing your beautiful plane. i'm at sunnfun everyyear; only a 30 min drive for me, but my wife and i camp in the campground.
i'm also looking forward to the newly redesigned layout for paradise city. i may spend more time in that area this year.
ken nougaret

HighWing
03-27-2013, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the info. I suspected it might be something like that. I suspect we will be spending time down there as we will likely want to be where the action is.
Lowell

jamesmil
03-27-2013, 02:19 PM
jim hunter and i are planing to go to sun&fun with our ss7. right now the plan is to come in on tuesday the 9th, and leave friday the12th, hope to see some fellow fitfoxers there.:D

Peteohms
03-27-2013, 03:58 PM
I plan to fly my Kitfox III from Central Texas. I'll be leaving on April 4 and first stop at the Sport Aviation Association fly in at Barnwell, SC. This will be my second trip to S N F in my Kitfox. The first being 2011 for the tornadoes. Destruction all around but my Kitfox was not damaged. An avid in front of me was flipped and a new Texas Sport Cub next to me was totaled. I was tied down in homebuilt camping. This year I may try Paradise city. I've flown to Oshkosh 3 times too, usually with a stop at Brodhead.

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r619/Peteohms/05366b44b7948bee98a8bcaf47d2f7dd_zps5f1a9597.jpg

SkySteve
03-27-2013, 08:19 PM
Pete,
What program did you use for your flight planning?

Pilot4Life
03-28-2013, 12:45 PM
Looks just like ForeFlight. I use it all the time for civil flight planning/execution. Works for planning and with 3G or the $100 DUAL GPS puck) it works as enroute NAV also. Great product!

War Eagle
03-28-2013, 04:14 PM
I was there in that mess in 2011. Not fun at all. I saw a lot of planes destroyed. Hope all that are going have a safe trip and a safe experience there as well.

It would be nice if someone could grab a few pictures and show us what's going on down there this year. If you see some nice planes at the show then share some of those pics with us as well.

Peteohms
03-29-2013, 06:12 PM
Pete,
What program did you use for your flight planning?

Foreflight on my Ipad. What did I ever do without it?

yoda
03-30-2013, 09:57 AM
Be there from the 4/6-4/13th. Will have a camper(RV) in "RV and Tent camping" a long the flight line(taxi way P (Papa)). Stop by, will have some cold drinks.

http://www.sun-n-fun.org/_pdf/maps/08campgroundmap.pdf

Walk or take the tram shuttle if you like. Brown route
http://www.sun-n-fun.org/files/8b/8b0c9531-3cf8-491d-8be9-dc7a28d9fa8e.pdf

Patrick
Model IV-1050lb
Rotax 912UL
N432EM

P Morel
04-03-2013, 05:08 PM
I'm planning flying in on Monday around noon and parking in Home Built like I normally do. Probably leave on Wednesday. What day are you planning on going George?

Geowitz
04-04-2013, 05:15 AM
I'm planning flying in on Monday around noon

Looks like I'll be waving at you as we fly by each other. I am going down on Wednesday night and coming back Sunday.

jamesmil
04-06-2013, 01:58 PM
hi guys, we found out that the ultra light field was open to lite sport last year and that is were we plan to go and tye down. .

yoda
04-08-2013, 06:12 AM
http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz300/yoda01/image_zps37eaf6e6.jpg

This was Sat 4/06/2013
http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz300/yoda01/image_zpsda43c5c9.jpg

Geowitz
04-11-2013, 04:14 AM
Made it in to paradise city at sunset last night. Parked in the HKS booth. Hope to see some of you guys.

Peteohms
04-14-2013, 02:58 AM
I made it to S n F Monday. Parked @ Paradise. First went to the Sport Aviation Association fly in @ Barnwell, SC. 18 hours total from the Austin, TX area.

DesertFox4
04-14-2013, 07:35 AM
Way to go Pete. Have fun and a safe flight back home.

Peteohms
04-14-2013, 09:52 AM
Had to take 2 weeks off retirement to make the trip ;-) Nice to be a geezer!

ken nougaret
04-14-2013, 12:24 PM
my wife and i are back from sun-n-fun. the best part of the trip was putting some teamkitfox faces to the names. i met jimmy miller and jim hunter, george(geowitz), and patrick and company(yoda). Helpful hints were recieved from them all, there planes were beautiful, and all were very friendly. hope to see them again at future fly-ins. sorry, no pics.
ken

Geowitz
04-14-2013, 03:11 PM
Pete - Sorry I missed you. I saw your plane parked over by the fence not too far from me, but I never got a chance to catch you. Saw it in the hangar too.

Ken - It was a pleasure meting you and your wife. Had a great time talking. Hopefully you can fly in next year!

Lowell - Had fun with you guys. ;)

Overall it was a great time. Spent most of my time talking with all kinds of people about the HKS 700T and Kitfoxes in general. Flew the ultra light pattern a few times to show off the engine and managed to not make a fool of myself. Really didn't venture out too far beyond Paradise city, but I could tell from what I saw that Paradise city is where the party is at! Open flying all day long. Even during the airshow. What a great time.

Had one storm scare where they let a bunch of us go to the big hangar for cover, but luckily nothing came.

A few pics... Flying over top at about 7000', Brunswick GA bridge, Hiding from the potential storm, Displayed in the HKS area, T-51 display right across the lane I was drooling over all week, warming up to fly the pattern

HighWing
04-15-2013, 04:56 AM
In the room. The other guys are gone. Had a great Time in Florida and saw a lot. Three of the five of us come every year and have a routine so saw a lot more of the Tampa area than I thought I would. A day at Fantasy of Flight,a day at Jack Brown's Sea Plane Base and trips to out of the way restaurants made it impossible to hook up with more guys. We talked to George, saw his ultralight lift strut fairings and found that I had met him two years earlier at my California hangar. That embarrassed me a bit that I hadn't remembered. We also saw several other kitfoxes but no folks. Sorry there. Now home for two days then a flight of four to Desert Fox.