PDA

View Full Version : Door Gas Springs

Monocock
04-16-2009, 02:43 PM
Hi all,

Please can someone help....

I have a Mk IV with gas springs that have stopped working and I want to replace them. I have got the Kitfox parts catalogue but am not sure if I have the "Bubble" doors or not. I don't think so but wanted to check as they need a heavier loaded spring if I do.

Basically, the door has a 15 degree bend in it at the level of my elbow. Is this considered "bubble" or do I have the standard doors for a Mk IV?

Thanks in advance

Dorsal
04-17-2009, 04:59 AM
The bubble doors are one piece clear plastic doors that "bubble" an inch or two outboard of the cross member on the door frame. If your doors are made up of two flat sections, the bottom one frequently fiberglass, with a bend in the middle you do not have bubble doors.

Skybolt
04-17-2009, 05:19 AM
If your doors are made up of two flat sections, the bottom one frequently fiberglass, with a bend in the middle you do not have bubble doors.

I have a Classic IV.
I have the standard doors; clear polycarb top half, an aluminum bottom with a glass fiber strip making the shaped transition in the middle.

As Dorsal explained, these are not bubble doors.
Get your gas springs for the standard doors from John at Kitfox.

Cheers. Eric.

Dorsal
04-17-2009, 08:17 AM
If you are interested there are some pictures of bubble doors on the Sikaflex thread a few topics down the list.

Thanks for the correction Eric, I did not know that the lower panels where AL on earlier models.

Skybolt
04-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Could try this sight;
http://www.suspa.com/language.html

But the best of luck with finding the correct ends.
I searched all over and found the easiest was to contact John at Kitfox.

They may be delayed right now because they are shipping and displaying a couple of aircraft to Florida (Sun and Fun).
You will probably hunt around and then give up and then contact John.

Swap the right gas spring to the left side, at least you can still use, unless both are knackered.

Cheers. Eric.

RandyL
04-21-2009, 11:00 AM
If Kitfox Aircraft doesn't stock the gas struts you need then check with McMaster-Carr, they have the best selection of struts I've seen anywhere, literally thousands of configurations. You can start here...
http://www.mcmaster.com/#gas-struts/=1jl75n