PDA

View Full Version : 912 Carb Cross-Over tube

SkySteve
03-10-2013, 11:39 AM
I was looking at my carb cross-over tube and found the attach points on the Bing carbs are a little larger than the metal cross-over equalization tube. On each end of the metal cross-over tube is a short (2" approx) length of rubber hose which is clamped on the metal cross-over tube and to the carb attach points. This rubber hose has been really stretched to fit over the carb attach points, and I got to thinking, "Is there a reason the metal cross-over tube is smaller than the carb attach points, and does that cross-over tube really need to be metal?" So, does it need to be this way, or can I just get a rubber hose long enough to go from one carb to the other, deleting the metal tubing?

DesertFox4
03-10-2013, 07:01 PM
I don't know what Rotax would say but years ago on my model 3 I had a spot wear through my aluminum crossover tube. I replaced it with some good quality hose at the time and flew it for several hundred hours that way. It ran just fine and never complained. Hope I didn't mess up. :eek:

SkySteve
03-10-2013, 08:47 PM
Nope. DF4, you didn't mess up. I love it if/when someone agrees! Makes me feel smart. :confused::D. In fact, I think I will wrap the new tubing in heat reflective aluminum tape.