PDA

View Full Version : VPX-Sport from Vertical Power

chefwarthog
03-08-2013, 08:45 AM
For the wiring of the SS-7, sould be easyer and simplify to work with this solidstate Electronic circuit breakers.

Dose someone ever use or has intent to use it on his bild?:rolleyes:
Should save weight, and make electrical system more safer.

War Eagle
03-08-2013, 02:51 PM
The EXP Bus is another solid state option for these planes.

Haven't done any product comparision in the last few years since I built my plane but I do like the solid state option and EXP Bus has worked well for me.

Esser
03-08-2013, 04:25 PM
I'm planning on putting it mine.

AirFox
03-08-2013, 04:56 PM
This is the exp unit I am going to use.

http://store.controlvision.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=CMEXP_100

Only $299.

chefwarthog
03-08-2013, 05:34 PM
But with the VPX you can control each solidstate switchs trough the EFIS and easyly modulate exit current like you want..... Dose CMEXP 100 can do that too?

By the way Esser, what EFIS will you use? SkyView?

Eric

Esser
03-08-2013, 05:35 PM
Going MGL all the way paired with MGL V6 comm. I think they have a great product there with lots of customization capabilities and great price.

chefwarthog
03-08-2013, 06:07 PM
I am still not sure, I like the the SkyView, but I am not sure of the GPS it's not a Garmin.... But I think it should do the job, dose somebody is using SkyView as a gps... what it's like?

for the comm I was going with the PAR100 EX
http://www.ps-engineering.com/PAR100EX.shtml
Dose some one use this audiocomm unit?

I like a clean panel with the less of all.....

Eric

Esser
03-08-2013, 06:11 PM
I originally was going to go with the Skyview but after doing some research I changed his mind.

chefwarthog
03-08-2013, 06:30 PM
what was your conclusion? plus and minus I am intrigue:rolleyes:

could you share it whit us?

Esser
03-09-2013, 10:02 AM
What really set the MGL apart from the others was how customizable it is. you can set up 9 different customizable screens depending on your flying operation and you can set up live camera feed. I want to get into some aerial filming so the idea of having the monitor feed right behind my attitude indicator some what appealed to me. The MGL is in integrated with their comm which Dynon does not have and was actually the first thing that brought me towards MGL. MGL is used in unlimited Reno air racers because they are so customizable. I believe Relentless uses it for a taxi cam. On top of all that, I like the numerical pad on the right side of the EFIS. The have a touch screen EFIS out now but I don't think I will get that one. I may try it at Oshkosh and see how I feel about it.

chefwarthog
03-09-2013, 12:39 PM
I did not know that you cam pair Ã* cam to your EFIS..... I think of it last year..... I post it on tne blog of Dynon, but had non responce.....

the idea of a taxi cam on the EFIS make sense for tail weeler!

I would like to have a HD surveillance cam inset in the bottom of the wing!

with the VPX those kind of things are easyer to do!!

wannafly
03-31-2013, 12:36 PM
I hope to mount my GoPro on the belly and connect to the MGL Voyager for taxi line of sight and picture taking. This will all be powered by yhe VPX sport. work on it now.:D

chefwarthog
03-31-2013, 07:47 PM
Can you put some pictures and comments of your instalation. It will be interesting to see what you did......

Sure that could be very instructive!!!:rolleyes:

never saw an VPX instalation for real!!!

Esser
07-19-2013, 07:30 AM
Any update on this wannafly?

HighWing
07-20-2013, 09:02 PM
What really set the MGL apart from the others was how customizable it is. you can set up 9 different customizable screens depending on your flying operation and you can set up live camera feed.

This idea is a winner. I wish I had known this back in the panel design stage. This might have swayed me from the classic look steam gauges. My first Model IV had an externally mounted camera and my monitor was mounted to the door. I used it a lot for taxiing as well as filming. This time, it is on a slide that pulls out of the left panel edge and rotates into viewing position.

My camera is mounted to the left lift strut at the jury strut where I had my first one. It is a standard HD video camera because I wanted zoom and manual focus as well as the gimbal mount.

SkyPirate
07-21-2013, 08:07 AM
I don t have any pics of the install, back in 1995/96 a buddy and i put 4 cameras on our planes with a manual switch to choose which camera was to be used, the switch was connected to a video recorder that had editing ability, we wanted to get a FLIR camera to connect to one of the four cam ports on the switch, back then FLIR cameras were almost untouchable cost wise, my buddy is a computer guru so he had the technology and resources , he had made the switch for the 4 cam ports , it was all battery operated so in effect easily mounted to anything , the recorder also had a viewing screen,
This is one of the many things i like about the IFLY gps system, it has a port for a camera so one could connect a switch to the IFLY with 4 6 ,.. As many cameras as you want including a flir, and view it on the 7" ifly screen

HighWing
07-21-2013, 07:14 PM
After my previous post on this subject, I had further thoughts on monitor placement. My first install had the monitor on the door as mentioned. I had a gimbal mount for the camera and liked the monitor on the side where the camera was mounted - left side, pilot side. I could see both the subject and the camera making it easier to point the camera.

I found that unless I was able to see the monitor and the subject in the same field of view, I could get distracted from my flying. Example - if I was taking video of another airplane, and could see it only on the monitor, I had a tendency to drift closer than was comfortable especially for the other guy. With both in the same field of vision, I could concentrate on the monitor - centering the subject - and my peripheral vision would discern my proximity to the subject airplane and my airplane's flight attitude. Just a thought.

SkyPirate
07-21-2013, 08:22 PM
someone just needs to make one of these affordable :)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=video%20camera%20tracking%20system&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CGkQtwIwBg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wimp.com%2Ftrackingcamera%2F&ei=IaTsUd_IEY-49gTN4oCgAQ&usg=AFQjCNHNgc01mgHB0VTdE8Sw80AnJmn6kA

with a camera set up that can follow a target "airplane" spot on the ground etc,..

chefwarthog
07-22-2013, 03:33 PM
tHIS IS A NICE SET-UP!

HighWing
07-22-2013, 08:30 PM
Thanks Eric. I have literally spent years on various versions. The first mechanical, this one hydraulic. I have also tried servos. If anyone has questions PM me.

wannafly
07-26-2013, 06:18 PM
Embarrassed its taken so long but it is finally all in. VPX Sport provide the protection for the MGL Voyager, V6, Garmin transponder. Still have lots of perramitters to set. Efis is working good. Still deciding on the software to use for airport info, and having an issue with fm interference on the v6 radio. MGL engineers are working on it. See what they come up with.

Chad Jensen
01-28-2014, 03:32 PM
Hey folks...I'll make another post to tell you all what I'm up to these days, but in short, no longer with EAA and have taken a position with Vertical Power/Ballard Technology.

Question on this install...is this mounted on the engine side of the FW??

Geowitz
01-28-2014, 04:33 PM
Nope, cockpit side.

I'm guessing you are implying that heat and vibration would be an issue?

Chad Jensen
01-29-2014, 06:44 AM
Excellent, I couldn't tell from the pic if I was seeing engine mount tubes and the floor or not...tho looking at it closer now, there are a lot of wires in that pic.

Heat could be an issue on the engine side, but more so dust, oil, and potential water intrusion that would be a killer for the box.