PDA

View Full Version : Bubble door : open wider with wing recess?

rogerh12
02-14-2013, 09:51 AM
I will be skinning my wings soon on my model 4, and was thinking that maybe I could add a small recess in the bottom of the wing to allow the bubble doors to open wider.

Anyone try this, I don't yet have the doors so I can't just rig it up.

Thank
Roger

Esser
02-14-2013, 12:36 PM
I think wings are important and how far the doors open, not so much.

Geowitz
02-14-2013, 04:43 PM
I usually refrain from using "lol" but your response got an LOL out of me:p

rogerh12
02-14-2013, 07:01 PM
Not helpful, perhaps a thinking mans response next?

Av8r3400
02-14-2013, 07:36 PM
Aerodynamics aside, the door opens to the bottom of the fuel tank. That modification seems a lot of effort for little gain.

I have the bubbles on my plane (and plan them on the project) and have found that once you are used to their open position, it's a non issue.

rogerh12
02-14-2013, 08:39 PM
Good point, the fuel tanks will be in the way. Hey, what about making the doors open like a car door? Anyone ever see a Kitfox or Avid with side door hinges?

The reason I am asking is that my back is not getting any younger, and bending over already has a price (ouch).

Roger

wheelerg
02-15-2013, 06:04 AM
I think wings are important and how far the doors open, not so much.

I thought that was hilarious...... good injection of humour:D

DesertFox4
02-15-2013, 08:02 AM
Guy's , keep this thread on the tracks please. Answers to questions that seem so obvious to those that have been around our aircraft for years may not be obvious to newer arrivals.

One quick thought. The wide body modification is another solution to cabin
comfort on the earlier models. I have it on my 4 and it really improves the "ride". :)

SkySteve
02-15-2013, 08:37 AM
Steve,
Good input on the wide body mod. I purchased it when my plane was modified but my A&P couldn't figure out how to install it. In my haste to get back in the air I chose to not install it and just used the bubble doors. I wish I had slowed down, figured it out and had installed both the wide body and bubble doors (more room for the Little Dog!). Both seem to be great additions.

kitfoxnick
02-15-2013, 07:38 PM
Good point, the fuel tanks will be in the way. Hey, what about making the doors open like a car door? Anyone ever see a Kitfox or Avid with side door hinges?

The reason I am asking is that my back is not getting any younger, and bending over already has a price (ouch).

Roger

If you put car doors on, you won't be able to open them in flight.

I get in mine, butt first. There is no need to bend over any more than you already do to get under the wing.