PDA

View Full Version : bubbling through doors

HansLab
02-13-2013, 01:58 PM
..I could not keep this from you: I installed the bubble doors this week. Not too easy, but they fit, and they're beautiful!! It sure adds to the space, looks and comfort of the plane.
Now curious how to get in when the wings are on (I saw some pics that weren't very hopefull..) - 'cause I still have to rig...
Happy Building!!

hansedj
02-13-2013, 02:22 PM
I bought 2 new gas door spring struts that are made for the bubble doors. They will not let the door open so far. kitfox has them $33 each. or put some kind of stop to prevent your doors from opening so far.

SkySteve
02-13-2013, 04:39 PM
I just took a light chord and tied it to the top and bottom of the door strut so it would open up to but not touch the underside of the wing. Works great.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff12/KitfoxSteve/50066c30.jpg

ackselle
02-13-2013, 05:33 PM
Very interesting...... I've got a couple of questions:
1) How much more room do you really get with the bubble doors?
2) Where is the door latch? Pictures?

Cheers,
Ackselle

Esser
02-13-2013, 06:27 PM
Whoa tight build area, you must have to suck in your gut a lot to move around now that the doors are on.

SkySteve
02-13-2013, 09:34 PM
Ackselle,
My doors add about 3 inches width on each door to the shoulder, elbow and hip areas for a total of 6 inches extra total width. That's a HUGE difference. Also, my doors are strong enough that there is no center horizontal support bar, which gives you the total width of the door as usable space. The door handle is located on the bottom of the door about 6" back from the front bottom corner (inside only). Refer to the small bolt hole at the tip of the arrow in this photo:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff12/KitfoxSteve/AB326225-ABFB-4928-B455-9503776B8D86-3330-0000048B3ABEE4FF.jpgo

ackselle
02-14-2013, 05:40 AM
Thanks Steve! Those doors look great.

So your doors are different from Hans' doors? There are 2 x horizontal bars in his pictures.

MLaRosa
02-14-2013, 07:57 AM
Skysteve,

A great spacial improvement, where did you get the bubble doors for your model2, I have not been able to find them for mine? I have the horizontal cross tube and if I chose to keep it would the bubble door glass contact it or would there be a space between the two? It would be awkward looking if there was a space, is that why you removed the cross tube?:cool:

rogerh12
02-14-2013, 09:39 AM
Ackselle,
Did you create your own stronger doors, or modify the factory doors?
Roger

cubtractor
02-14-2013, 10:19 AM
I put a small piece of clear chafe tape on the bottom of the wing where the door touches it. It's really difficult to see (hides well) and works great.

HansLab
02-14-2013, 11:15 AM
SkySteve, were your doorframes like that in kitform as well? Or did you remove the horizontals afterwards (when you installed the doors...)? Now I'm in the process I can't think of a reason why I shouldn't remove them if possible...

And Esser: Yes I have to suck myself in every monday and tuesday evening ;-))
We're used to live small, here in Holland..The absolute benefit is that I can build right next to my house - unaffordable.

Esser
02-14-2013, 12:34 PM
I love the Netherlands. I am 100% Dutch with my blood lines but all my grandparents immigrated to Canada when they were in their 20's or younger. In fact my Opa and Oma's honeymoon was moving to Canada.

I have only been to the Netherlands once and not for very long. I have always wanted to have a lengthy visit as I still have many relatives there. Perhaps when the kitfox is done I will fly it there:eek:

SkySteve
02-14-2013, 02:06 PM
A great spacial improvement, where did you get the bubble doors for your model2, I have not been able to find them for mine? I have the horizontal cross tube and if I chose to keep it would the bubble door glass contact it or would there be a space between the two? It would be awkward looking if there was a space, is that why you removed the cross tube?

SkySteve, were your doorframes like that in kitform as well? Or did you remove the horizontals afterwards (when you installed the doors...)? Now I'm in the process I can't think of a reason why I shouldn't remove them if possible.

MLaRosa & Hans,
I had my bubble doors custom made as this is not a factory supported option for the early models. My original doorframes did have the center horizontal bar, which I removed when I installed the new (tinted) bubble doors. My friend has a model IV with factory bubble doors and his center horizonal bar is curved but is not as deeply curved as the bubble doors so the horizontal bar does not allow your elbow to use all the space the bubble doors create. However, his door latch is built into the center horizontal bar. My doorlatch was also built into the center horizontal bar but I changed it to the lower door frame. Works great.

I made a handle out of a water shut off valve handle that was vinyl coated and bolted it thru the doorframe with a slot head bolt, nylon washers and nylock nut. I drilled a hole thru the bubble door large enough to get a screw driver on the end of the slotted bolt so I could adjust the tension as needed once in awhile (maybe once per year). Since my Kitfox lives in a hangar I have no need to latch the pilot door when I'm not flying. If I go somewhere and want to keep the pilot door closed, I just strech a lightweight bungee from the passenger door latch to the pilot door latch. Again, works great.

The reason I put the light chord on the door strut to keep the bubble doors off the bottom of the wing was I noticed after several taxi trips the outside of the bubble door got a few light scratches on it from vibrating against the wing, and I didn't want to look thru a scratched door.

By the way, I love the tinted doors. They make the cabin noticably cooler in the sun, cut the glare when looking thru them and make a very good camera filter for taking pictures!

inzersv
02-14-2013, 05:21 PM
HansLab, your colors are beautiful. I love the paint job. Everytime I see a new paint scheme, I change my mind for my SS.