PDA

View Full Version : Best handheld type radio to use in a Kitfox?

Roddy
02-12-2013, 09:45 AM
What is the best handheld type radio like the Sporty's SP-400 to use as a primary radio? I would like to get one that works well with headsets and can charge off of a 12v outlet if possible. What are you guys using? What should I look for and what should I avoid?

jiott
02-12-2013, 10:33 AM
I think its hard to beat the Sporty's SP-400. It will do all the things you mentioned, plus it is a great navigational backup since it will track VOR's and localizer glide paths. I don't use it as a primary but I know folks that do. The only downside I have heard is a somewhat limited range, but I believe that is typical of any handheld radio. You can increase the range by installing a plug-in patch so you can connect the handheld to your external aircraft antenna.

Jim

cubtractor
02-12-2013, 12:49 PM
I use the Icom A5 as my primary and it works great. I would like to switch to the SP400 due to it's backup for navigation.

Roddy
02-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the replies. That's good to hear about the SP-400 as I was leaning towards one. The biggest problem people mention in the reviews is the display has poor contrast and is very difficult to read with sunglasses or in bright sunlight. Maybe there is a way to mitigate that.

Moses
02-13-2013, 04:58 AM
If you can find a King KX99 grab it. I've had mine for 15 years and have never had a problem. A bit spendy but worth it. Moses

Dorsal
02-13-2013, 07:01 AM
I have a Vertex as a back up (which I even needed once). Works fine as a portable not sure as a primary.