PDA

View Full Version : firewall seal

Eric
01-31-2013, 01:39 PM
Hello

how did You guys make the seal between the firewall and the fiberglass front parts. I had a aluminium firewall with a kind of foam around it.
I have made a new firewall from stainless steel but i would like to know what to use to seal the firewall from the fiberglass parts.
I think foam wouldt melt very quick in case of fire isn't it ?
Thank You

Eric

Dorsal
01-31-2013, 01:51 PM
I used high temp RTV

HighWing
01-31-2013, 03:53 PM
I used foam. My thinking was that my primary concern would be Carbon Monoxide. The composite airplanes pretty much self destruct in a fire. I would think that if we had a serious engine compartment fire, our composite cowl would be gone pretty soon or at least contributing fuel to the burn.
Lowell

Dave S
01-31-2013, 03:59 PM
Hi Eric,

Which kind of cowl do you have? Got a photo with it apart?

The one where upper cowl is all one piece/removable up to the windshield?

Or:

The later model one which has a separate boot cowl which fits between the windshield and firewall where the main upper cowl is removable only to the firewall, leaving the boot cowl in place?

There are a few different cowl versions which affect the choice of how the cowl is sealed.

BTW - good choice to replace the aluminum firewall with SS:)....

Sincerely,

Dave S

t j
01-31-2013, 05:08 PM
I coated black rubber self adhesive weather stripping with Red RTV. Use a rubber gloved finger dipped in alcohol to spread the RTV on the three sides of the weather stripping. let it dry over night then stick it on the firewall.

The pictures tell the rest of the story.

Aluminum angle stock cut every 3/4 inch and riveted to top edge of fire wall. Size and position it so the weather stripping will stick up far enough above the edge of the firewall to fit snug against the inside of the cowel. My cowel fits within 1/8th inch of the fire wall top all the way around. You can stick two lengths of weather stripping together one on top of the other before you coat them with RTV if you have a larger gap to seal.

Weather stripping coated with RTV on three sides

Fire wall top

Fire wall side. Weather stripping attached to the factory supplied firewall angle pieces. Cut lengths to fit the straight angle pieces then fill in the gaps with more red RTV and use the rubber glove dipped in alcohol to smooth the joints at the angles between the lengths.

View from inside the cabin

Lion8
01-31-2013, 05:53 PM
Eric. I rivited aluminum angle to the S/S firewall. On top of that, I rivited a strip of fireproof weaved cloth that seals against the cowl when is installed.-Tom, (Lion8)

Eric
02-03-2013, 11:11 AM
Thank You for all te answers

I now have found a rubber seal from a cart
It fits very nice and seals the plane from gases from the engine compartiment.
it is not fireproof but I think in case of a fire the cowling will melt very quick.
Do You all cover the firewall for less noise in the plane or not?

here a some pictures from my firewall

Eric

WurlyBird
02-04-2013, 02:31 AM
Eric, what type of stripping is that and where did you get it?

avidflyer
02-04-2013, 07:58 AM
Hi Eric, I was looking at your picture and happened to notice the landing gear. Looks like you modified the original bungee gear to be use a spring/bush gear style. I'm curious about the gear and would like to hear about your thoughts on it. Thanks, Jim Chuk

WurlyBird
02-04-2013, 08:42 AM
Jim, I don't really know Eric, but I don't think he has flown this Fox yet. :D

Honestly, not being a jerk. It's all in good fun, brother.

Eric
02-04-2013, 08:47 AM
The seal I used is a seal from the tailgate of a Volvo 740 stationcar.

The gear i have rebuild myself because I didn't like the bungysystem.
The bushgear is wider but with te shipping costst to the Netherlands I found it to expensive so I made it myself.
If it works I don't know yet .
maybe i have to use other springs if they are not stiff enough or to strong.
we will see

Eric

Eric
02-04-2013, 08:54 AM
Wurlybird You have seen it right,i havent flown the plane .
i bought it a few years ago to rebuilt it an set a rotax 912 on it(it was equiped with a Jabiru,
It is original a US plane ,the N596D.

Eric

avidflyer
02-04-2013, 09:06 AM
Yes I could see that the landing gear was two different colors suggesting a recent remodel.http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/images/icons/icon7.gif Just thought I would get a discussion going on what led to the design, ect. This topic came up recently on another list I belong to. I was wondering if maybe it was copied from someone else's successful design. (one that had flown) What springs were used on this gear? Part # if possible. Thanks, Jim Chuk

WurlyBird
02-04-2013, 09:35 AM
Joking aside though, I am also curious how you went about designing it and the springs you used. I think my fox would look great on bush gear but close to $2000 by the time it is installed is a little too much. Several hours in the garage on the other hand is just what I need.

Eric
02-04-2013, 01:24 PM
I used the standard gear and removed the tubing that is needed for the bungees,then I took the same size of tubing for the lower part of the suspension and for the upper side the tube size that slides over that tube.
for the V-formed construction I used the same size as for the upper struts.
I made the templates from 2,5 mm SS and used 7 mm bolts for the fittings.
I doubled the tube ends where the bolts go Through.
For the springs I had to use available springs that fits over the tubes.
i dont know if they are strong enough but I can always make them stronger with shims or weaker by making the alu fittings shorter.
I used springs from a little motorbike.
If anyone is interested I can measure the spring.
In the book from Tony Bingeliss there is an example from this kind of strut(I found that when I was almost ready)
I didn't make the landing gear wider because I will buid a closed trailer for the KF and if I disconnect te strut I can lay the plane flat on his belly so he isn't so high.
The width of the spread LG is than as wide as the horizontal stabilizer.

Eric