PDA

View Full Version : iPad in the cockpit

MotReklaw
01-23-2013, 03:41 PM
Has anyone tried this? I'm still a member of the Zenith.aero site and saw this unique use today. I think I'm going this way if it works.

I might possibly be able to do what I want at a price I can afford.... Don't know cost of sensors, etc. yet.

Found this info: "...
Mounting. We used ram mounts made for the iPads in the survival cases.
The ems is from trutrakflightsystem with the ts83 wifi module. We purchased the probe kit for the 4cl lycoming engine (works on the 0-200). Trutrak as an ipad app in the App Store called imonitor ems.

The AHRS is from levil aviation. It has the pitot static plumbing so we could display IAS and alt, this unit is a wifi unit and power inputs are a simple 12v connection, the app is ihud remote that is compatible with the AHRS...."

kebopa3
01-23-2013, 08:40 PM
MGL Avionics's IBOX supports the wireless IPAD set-up. This is off their website:

"The iEFIS architecture offers a wireless Wifi node that can take the place of any of the theoretical 8 panels you could connect to an iBOX. While this is primarily intended for flight planning (such as upload your flightplan from a tablet) and flight data recording (useful for experiments and aircraft manufacturers) - the wireless node has access to everything a normal panel has so it could become a full EFIS as well, just wireless. It is also possible to consider using just an iBOX without any iEFIS panels at all and a iPAD or Android "EFIS" perhaps for very low cost installations in smaller aircraft."

I like the idea of single vendor solution.

Kebo

yoda
02-09-2013, 07:08 AM
Kitfox VI
http://www.amazon.com/RAM-Mounting-Systems-RAM-B-138-AP8U-Universal/dp/B0041HL714/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1360418799&sr=8-14&keywords=ram+mount+ipad

cubtractor
02-09-2013, 01:48 PM
Velcro works good, and it's cheap. I'm going to get an iLevel for it in the future.

SkySteve
02-09-2013, 03:21 PM
Those ipads look pretty big on a Kitfox panel. Has anyone tried the smaller sized ipad?

MotReklaw
02-09-2013, 04:30 PM
I'm looking at the EMS module from Trutrak. the ipad size doesn't matter to me. I've got Garmin Pilot on my Tablet.... looking for something to do engine monitor.

akarmy
02-09-2013, 05:52 PM
The iPad mini is perfect in size! I tried the full sized one and couldn't really find a place to put it. The mini fits on a small kneeboard and works good.

n85ae
02-10-2013, 02:44 PM
I still prefer my folded sectional, E6B, and plotter ... The more I work
with technology the less I like it. Anybody else feel the same?

Regards,
Jeff

avidflyer
02-10-2013, 03:06 PM
I've used this GPS software in a hand held PDA for a number of years and liked it. Pretty inexpencive for the software as well. Go to www.approachsystems.com (http://www.approachsystems.com) to see what I mean. Take care, Jim Chuk

GWright6970
02-13-2013, 05:18 PM
Jeff,
I'm with you! I'm kinda tired of all the electronics, I just want to fly, and watch out for others doing the same.... hence the Kitfox.... I do need a scarf, and some goggles though.... hmmmm.

If it were not that I live almost in sight of the San Francisco Bay Area and all that entails, I would have even LESS than the minimum equipment list specified in the FAR's in my Kitfox. Just give me fuel sight gauges, an air speed indicator, an engine tach, and maybe an altimeter, and I'm good to go! I guess I've been raised on tooooo much of the super high-tech stuff, like in the military.

Grover

BTW: Nice iPad applications guys... you got me to look!:D

MotReklaw
02-13-2013, 06:47 PM
My original thoughts in this thread dealt with the EMS screen displayed on the the right. I only need a view out the windscreen to fly, but the the engine monitor features were the important features I was concerned with.

I have a handheld device to monitor EFIS.

Thanks for all the comments.