PDA

View Full Version : butt rib installation

phintz
01-19-2013, 06:18 PM
Hello all!, I am installing the butt ribs on my series 6 and confused with the instructions. I have the wings installed, and when I put the butt ribs in place to be mounted (dry run), it seems that the front and back of rib will interfere with the rear bolt and front pin removal for taking off wings! It would cover half of the pin and bolt. Also if I slide them out to where they will miss, then it seems like the most outward hole on the butt rib bracket will be hanging off the tubes on the headrack. I do have the flanges facing inward towards the fuselage, and I am exactly 35 1/2 inches from midpoint to midpoint from ribs 1 to 3. Am I seeing this wrong? Any pictures and advice would be great.

War Eagle
01-19-2013, 06:40 PM
Here are some pics of the Butt rib on the Series 7.

Hope this helps visualize.

Dave S
01-19-2013, 08:00 PM
Patric,

If I recall correctly on our series 7, I trimmed the buttrib by the rear spar so the bolt will clear; don't recall having to do much on the front end of the buttrib for the pin; however, my installation looks similar to War Eagles for the front but I do not have a collar on the rear.

Dave S
KF7 Trigear - Flying
912ULS Warp Drive
St Paul, MN

phintz
01-20-2013, 02:00 PM
Patric,

If I recall correctly on our series 7, I trimmed the buttrib by the rear spar so the bolt will clear; don't recall having to do much on the front end of the buttrib for the pin; however, my installation looks similar to War Eagles for the front but I do not have a collar on the rear.

Dave S
KF7 Trigear - Flying
912ULS Warp Drive
St Paul, MN

Thanks for the pictures Dave and Warbird, trimming butt rib will solve the problem, Thanks again!!!
:D

MotReklaw
01-20-2013, 02:45 PM
You builders provide some excellent pictures of your builds. Thanks, it makes an excellent library of how-to's.

mr bill
01-20-2013, 04:33 PM
Are there any pictures/ideas for the butt rib bottom to fuselage closure for a mk IV?

War Eagle
01-20-2013, 08:27 PM
Don't have an Mk IV but here is a picture of a Series 7 if that will help.

mr bill
01-21-2013, 04:40 PM
The MK IV upper part of the door frame is an inverted V, not straight like the MK7, but thanks for the picture.

t j
01-21-2013, 06:23 PM
The MK IV upper part of the door frame is an inverted V, not straight like the MK7, but thanks for the picture.

I covered just from the bottom of the butt rib to the top of the door frame with fabric.

I trimed the top of the door lexan to fit against inverted V of the fabric with the door closed. The three windows in the rib were covered with lexan later.

I can get a picture of it on the finished airplane if you want.

Finished airplane photos:
Right door closed

Right door open

Left door outside

left door inside

mr bill
01-21-2013, 07:16 PM
Perfect!! Just what I was looking for. So it is just fabric, not some sheet metal or molded plastic part. Thank you.

GWright6970
01-21-2013, 08:36 PM
Tom,
If it is not too much trouble, I would like to see a picture of the "finished product..."

It would also put the "finishing touch" on this part of the thread. THANK YOU! Grover

Mark
01-22-2013, 08:20 AM
Here's how I've done some:

First, I cover the inside with fabric, then install it on the fuselage.

Next, I bond two small aluminum strips at either end of the butt rib to attach fabric to.

Lastly, I cover around the square door tube and under the butt rib.

Notice earlier builds had the cap strip facing inward, now it faces outward.

t j
01-22-2013, 11:31 AM
I added the finished photos to my post above. It's post #9

n85ae
01-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Did mine with glasscloth/epoxy for the rib, and aluminum under. I also glued
in Lexan viewports to see the sight tubes:

Jeff